The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all.  Dom, your final photo could be of a model!  Flavio, don't offer me a Negroni - I can't stand the smell of gin and am allergic to oranges. I'm re-reading Fleming at the moment and the drink appears in one of the Bond books.   By the by, are you coming to the very last St Albans exhibition on 16th & 17th January 2016?

Trustee training was interesting.  It will be a challenging role, looking after a charity with a £20m budget.  After which I pottered along to Ian Allen, as they had a Spur Null lorry for me; I'm now the proud owner of a Magirus S6500.  Then on to St Martin in the Field to buy my Christmas cards.  Then home.

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The funniest cockwomble crisis I saw at Warley was two atypical visitors (overweight, glasses, beard, rucksack) who failed to pass each other in the inner doorway of the gents. Too wide to pass each other they opted to turn back to back and as they squeezed past each other, their rucksacks decided that a quick bout of copulation was in order.

As their owners turned to accelerate away their love struck rucksacks caused them to do a 180 turn, and they went from whence they came!

Fortunately, I was on my way out, because if I'd been inbound, I'd have probably wet myself with laughter.

Many thanks to those who came and visited me. Unfortunately I was on decontamination duties when His Majesty the Stationmaster graced our aisle with his presence.

This saved me much embarrassment as I was to present a track plan for his perusal. On the trip back to Telfland, I got it out, and discovered I had failed to place a trap point on the exit to a siding.......Lucky escape!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a Premier Inn soewhat south of the NEC... Dave and I had a good day demosntrating.  It was good to chat to Mike (SM), Richard (HH) and Polly and Ray (Southern 42 +1) plus many others, not to mention the many in the Demo pen.   Had some good conversations and even managed to talk to a few about whatwe were supposed to be demonstrating.   Tehn back to the hotel and out with one of the Troutons team for a good curry.  All n all a good day.

Regards tonall.

Jamie

• Like 17

Morning all,

Had to go out early (for me!) and so didn't try to log in to RMweb until late morning - got the error message: 502 Bad Gateway, as others have mentioned. I went on to the 'Is it just me' site who confirmed it wasn't! Finally logged in after lunch for a quick look before addressing the chore of photographing several items to put on eBay tomorrow when I've got free listing! Guess there must have been an overload situation here? Black Friday passed without too much pain in the wallet, but when I opened my e-mails this morning, there were twenty-seven messages showing that everyone appears to be extending the offers through to Monday at least, and some all week! Trash bin was groaning! One of the e-mails was a very pleasant surprise, it came from the lady in charge of organising the VIP lunch put on for 'Survivors' as part of the Relay for Life weekend in aid of Cancer Research. She wants to meet us at a coffee morning in the Spring, and wondered if we had any special dietary requirements. It sounds very much as if I'm going to be very embarrassed by all this kindness, but it is partly due to this cause that I've outlived my prognosis so far!

Ian(RH), sounds like things are going to plan so far, and it was good to read that you managed to get in a few calming beers after the hassle of the setting-up.

Dave(TG), thanks for your prompt reply to my query about the layout - it most certainly is as big as it looks in the images. As a P4 effort, all that track being hand built must have taken absolutely ages!

Flávio, good to read a post from you after a rather worrying gap, although you will know better than most how patients can suffer the 'Blues' after a major operation. The guitar playing sounds like useful therapy however, and I hope your pain diminishes soon. In answer to your question, my hernia repair will involve open surgery, possibly because it was repaired during the operation to remove my kidney and tumour last year, and appears to have 'let go' again. I'm told it will be done in the one day (12/12) and have a 7.30am start time! I've arranged a driver. Hope to read more from you soon.

AndyB, the Apple Charlotte looked beautifully made, and I'm sure it didn't last long, especially as we are thought to 'eat with our eyes'! I've marked that down as a possible sweet for next Sunday (6th) as Stuart, No1 son is coming to lunch and introducing his latest conquest to us. If it isn't too much to ask, do you have a simple to send recipe? If so I will gladly PM you my e-mail address.

John(KB), having just seen the big arrows on the weather chart for tomorrow and Monday, I suspect that could be the answer as to why most of the fleet was tied up in harbour?

Duncan, good news that you managed a lie in after the week you've just had.

Jack,('short liner'), I wouldn't worry too much just yet unless I've missed the bulletin, but I haven't yet heard that the A939 road from Cock Bridge to Tomintoul has been closed due to snow. I seem to remember when we lived in Scotland, that my father always thought that the announcement confirmed the arrival of winter!

'gordon s', thank you for the link to Pete's thread on computer fraud - a timely reminder to us all to be vigilant as some of these scams are getting very sophisticated. I don't know if you take the Telegraph, but their 'digital doctor', Rick Maybury, often gives very useful advice on what to look out for. I now use the digital edition of that and the Guardian as it's easier on the arms than holding a 'broadsheet' newspaper.

Ian(OD), I believe the first recorded use of that comment was from Dr Johnson who pronounced the rather barbed "the only good thing about Scotland is the high road South to England", levelled at his travelling companion and biographer 'Boswell', who happened to be Scots!

Bill, the trustee training sounds as if it was an eye-opener. I truly admire your decision to give your time and expertise to such a worthy cause.

It sounds as if Warley has been enjoyed by most of our digital friends that attended. It must have been lovely to put faces to the regular posters, although several of you have met many times. I would really love to have been able to attend, but I'll have to settle for the BRM DVD of the event! I'm delighted to read so many positive comments, although I'm sorry to hear that Baz had to work through what is a rather nasty affliction.

As usual, best wishes to all those who aren't 100% at the moment. I hope Sunday is good for you all, I of course plan to watch the GP, despite the fact the season has gone a bit flat with the championship being decided so long ago.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night late night lurkers!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A taster from Warley before I hit the sack.

A case of "Saw this and thought of you"   Well, some of you, anyway.  :D

post-14049-0-13691800-1448758319.jpg

' Night all and nos da.

• Like 14

A day out with Granddaughter and daughter. . . . Didn't cost much apart from lunch. . . . 

Sat in the kitchen all night with my mate picking at guitar tunes, and drank a couple of Aldi's "Bah Humbug" . . . . went down well. . .

Goodnight everyone. . . .Sweet dreams. . 

John

• Like 12

... Ian(OD), I believe the first recorded use of that comment was from Dr Johnson who pronounced the rather barbed "the only good thing about Scotland is the high road South to England", levelled at his travelling companion and biographer 'Boswell', who happened to be Scots! ...

Jock, as an admirer of Johnson, may I quote from Boswell's "Life of Johnson"?

Another Scot in Johnson's company, John Ogilvie, had remarked that Scotland had a great many noble wild prospects, and Johnson said: "I believe, Sir, you have a great many. Norway, too, has noble wild prospects; and Lapland is remarkable for prodigious wild prospects. But Sir, let me tell you, the noblest prospect that a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

It's rather easier to take a joke against oneself or one's own when it's genuinely witty and elegantly phrased.

One of my regular drinking buddies, no fan of Boswell, or of Scott, for that matter, habitually referring to them as "brown nosers", often mentions the above and other, similar, remarks by Johnson. I respond that he's saying that while sitting in a pub in Sheffield, a city to which he came nearly forty years ago to obtain his two degrees in archaeology and find a fulfilling post with the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service, and which he shows no sign of leaving soon.

Then we get some more beer in and go back to trying to out-pun each other...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Day 2 at Warley beckons.

We had a good day yesterday despite a stationary decoder failing at the start of the show. We could throw the turnouts manually so it didnt affect operation too much till I bought a replacement and replaced it.

Huge queues to get out of the car park after the show as the same car park was being used for an evening do. SO trying to fill and already full car park lead to a complete jam in it. Add to that one of our crew couldnt find his car no doubt partly due to it being dark and it being solid.

Anyway we made it to our accommodation where the pub was rather busy but the staff coped well.

The plan was to go into the centre of Sutton Coldfield but it was 9 pm before we were ready to leave so it was a 10 minute walk to the next pub for a pint then we called it a night.

The newly purchased Oxford Rail Radial had a decoder fitted then a run on Appledore. Its now had the handrails painted black and headcode discs fitted. Just needs crew and weathering.

I couldnt resist another Kernow 02. Not sure where I can run ' Calborne' but a little bit of history distortion will see an Island one returned to North Devon which is why this one lasted into preservation.

I think Warley has been a very good show this year with a varied range of layouts.

Greta to see so many rmwebbers.

• Like 13

Morning all,

Had to go out early (for me!) and so didn't try to log in to RMweb until late morning - got the error message: 502 Bad Gateway, as others have mentioned. I went on to the 'Is it just me' site who confirmed it wasn't! Finally logged in after lunch for a quick look before addressing the chore of photographing several items to put on eBay tomorrow when I've got free listing! Guess there must have been an overload situation here? Black Friday passed without too much pain in the wallet, but when I opened my e-mails this morning, there were twenty-seven messages showing that everyone appears to be extending the offers through to Monday at least, and some all week! Trash bin was groaning! One of the e-mails was a very pleasant surprise, it came from the lady in charge of organising the VIP lunch put on for 'Survivors' as part of the Relay for Life weekend in aid of Cancer Research. She wants to meet us at a coffee morning in the Spring, and wondered if we had any special dietary requirements. It sounds very much as if I'm going to be very embarrassed by all this kindness, but it is partly due to this cause that I've outlived my prognosis so far!

Ian(RH), sounds like things are going to plan so far, and it was good to read that you managed to get in a few calming beers after the hassle of the setting-up.

Dave(TG), thanks for your prompt reply to my query about the layout - it most certainly is as big as it looks in the images. As a P4 effort, all that track being hand built must have taken absolutely ages!

Flávio, good to read a post from you after a rather worrying gap, although you will know better than most how patients can suffer the 'Blues' after a major operation. The guitar playing sounds like useful therapy however, and I hope your pain diminishes soon. In answer to your question, my hernia repair will involve open surgery, possibly because it was repaired during the operation to remove my kidney and tumour last year, and appears to have 'let go' again. I'm told it will be done in the one day (12/12) and have a 7.30am start time! I've arranged a driver. Hope to read more from you soon.

AndyB, the Apple Charlotte looked beautifully made, and I'm sure it didn't last long, especially as we are thought to 'eat with our eyes'! I've marked that down as a possible sweet for next Sunday (6th) as Stuart, No1 son is coming to lunch and introducing his latest conquest to us. If it isn't too much to ask, do you have a simple to send recipe? If so I will gladly PM you my e-mail address.

John(KB), having just seen the big arrows on the weather chart for tomorrow and Monday, I suspect that could be the answer as to why most of the fleet was tied up in harbour?

Duncan, good news that you managed a lie in after the week you've just had.

'short liner', I wouldn't worry too much just yet unless I've missed the bulletin, but I haven't yet heard that the A939 road from Cock Bridge to Tomintoul has been closed due to snow. I seem to remember when we lived in Scotland, that my father always thought that the announcement confirmed the arrival of winter!

'gordon s', thank you for the link to Pete's thread on computer fraud - a timely reminder to us all to be vigilant as some of these scams are getting very sophisticated. I don't know if you take the Telegraph, but their 'digital doctor', Rick Maybury, often gives very useful advice on what to look out for. I now use the digital edition of that and the Guardian as it's easier on the arms than holding a 'broadsheet' newspaper.

Ian(OD), I believe the first recorded use of that comment was from Dr Johnson who pronounced the rather barbed "the only good thing about Scotland is the high road South to England", levelled at his travelling companion and biographer 'Boswell', who happened to be Scots!

Bill, the trustee training sounds as if it was an eye-opener. I truly admire your decision to give your time and expertise to such a worthy cause.

It sounds as if Warley has been enjoyed by most of our digital friends that attended. It must have been lovely to put faces to the regular posters, although several of you have met many times. I would really love to have been able to attend, but I'll have to settle for the BRM DVD of the event! I'm delighted to read so many positive comments, although I'm sorry to hear that Baz had to work through what is a rather nasty affliction.

As usual, best wishes to all those who aren't 100% at the moment. I hope Sunday is good for you all, I of course plan to watch the GP, despite the fact the season has gone a bit flat with the championship being decided so long ago.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night late night lurkers!

....there is a mix of trackwork techniques Jock...certainly the pointwork is handbuilt....and there is a lot on Mostyn, whereas much of the straight track esp. in the fiddle yards is P4 flexible. 

Dave 

Mornin' all,

A range of issues to be solved all at once yesterday on the last fund raising coach trip of 2015. Arriving at the coach yard at 07.15 to find our usual 53 seat Volvo/Van Hool with a dashboard full of red lights....due to water ingress during the cloudbursts of the day before....was just the first. Four cancellations due to illness/injury did mean that the 49 seat Volvo/Jonckheere replacement didn't leave anyone by the roadside. The next issue related to there being no planned Victorian market (with permit entry at £85 for coaches) when I booked the coach this time last year for Worcester....but one had been put on the calendar since and no permits were available on the day. Thus, next years Christmas shopping destination of Stratford on Avon was instantly substituted to avoid the traffic/congestion & permit problems of Worcester. 2 passengers were originally meeting family there so these had to be contacted and redirected to Webbs of Wychbold or Stratford. The weather came next with heavy rain forecast for the afternoon, thus the outdoor Stratford bit was done first and we were heading for the undercover Webbs of Wychbold part of the day when the rain got serious.

All in all a good day out with everyone dry & comfortable but it didn't happen by accident. The 2 bottles of real ale were very welcome once sitting by the fire at 8.30 last night.

Off to Tarporley for a day with Mostyn today.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Morning All,

Too many pages, too little time and s@d all motivation for anything.

That said, usual greetings, best wishes and 'look after yourselves' from the heart.

May pop back later. Hope today becomes what you'd like it to be.

Edit to add the greeting, which was of course the primary reason for posting that seemed to get lost in the 'head fog'.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Morning all.

Heavy thunderstorm ongoing here, hopefully it doesn't knock the power out, the lights have been flickering.

Should cool the workshop down nicely though.

Was posting to my 16mm loco thread when the site went down yesterday, glad I copied the post, saved having to rewrite it.

Enjoy your day all.

• Like 6

One of the e-mails was a very pleasant surprise, it came from the lady in charge of organising the VIP lunch put on for 'Survivors' as part of the Relay for Life weekend in aid of Cancer Research. She wants to meet us at a coffee morning in the Spring, and wondered if we had any special dietary requirements.

Hope the special dietary requirements include a single malt or two :)

Mal