The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

At risk of incurring Mister Neil's wrath, today had partly been spent doing last minute shopping... in my defence, I knew the shop was open and there were plenty of options- Daddy Thesnail collects anything GWR and he doesn't get much pocket money so the majority of the more recent additions are Birthday and Christmas presents from me. Other than that today has been the traditional slightly later than planned card run. Managed not to wrap any cars around any lamp posts this year, which is a bonus. Caught up with the chap who is partly responsible for my love of "real" steam and mostly responsible for my interest in engineering- a model engineer who was good enough to invite a young Thesnail to visit his workshop, where he'd be taught about using lathes and such, and servicing and maintaining 5" gauge steam locomotives. Visits to "Mr Jones" were very much enjoyed and helped cement young Thesnail's interest in such matters- he's promised to invite me to a running day next Summer.

Sainsburys was braved earlyish this morning, although it was queued around the car park it hadn't reached the road. Nearly witnessed one bit of car park rage where someone jumped the queue and tried to pip a more patient queuee (queueist?) to a space but fortunately they were just slightly too late and had to go round again. Slightly smug in that I managed to squeeze the long wheelbase Landy into a space between trolley bay and a seemingly abandoned Audi that the Fiesta in front gave up as a bad job. Admittedly Laura had to climb out the back, but still a success... annoying the folks for Christmas so didn't need any food for the big day, but sustenance for the few days either side was needed. We were running dangerously low on sugar, not a problem for me but I've managed to avoid finding out what happens when Laura (coffee white with three please) runs out for 7 years and I don't intend to find out now...

Fingers crossed poorly pets are on the mend, dentist visits (definitely the time of year for it so it seems- I was lucky, suspected lost filling was just a chip and the dentist gave it an A- OK) go OK and particularly that BoD is back up and running with no complications as soon as he can be.

Fire lit, chestnut roasting test run underway, naff film on and fake beer in hand. Other than a whizz around with Henry tomorrow and a couple of odd presents to wrap we're pretty much sorted here so enjoying being lazy.

Enjoy your evening folks :)

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Chuffed here after my shift, so I suppose I'm entitled to being lazy now, too! Pretty much everything for Saturnalia has been prepared, too, so we managed to avoid the frenzy that's taken hold of so many people...

Be back tomorrow, guys...nighty!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Calmer now......but it's not the food shopping that really does my head in, youngthesnail, but the thought of youngjohnnyhuman missing out on his trainset because daddy couldn't be arsed to order it a few days earlier.  Ten minutes later and he wouldn't have got it, as I said it was the last one - of a LOT!  Whilst we don't personally do Christmas, I hate to see upset kids at a time of year that really, religious considerations aside, is for them.

'Laura three sugars'....no wonder her hair used to be blue.... :jester:

Probability of a White Christmas now around 99.9%  Eight inches of new snow last night, and it's been snowing heavily all morning. More snow showers in the forecast for Thursday and Friday. So far we've had about twice as much snow as we got all last Winter, and it's not even January yet.

The pine tree that's bending under the weight of the snow used to have a close neighbor, but this morning it snapped off about half-way up the trunk while I was out on the tractor. It fell right across the road. Would have been slightly unpleasant if it had hit me.

post-25691-0-75911500-1450903740_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all; the festive season rolls on. the city centre was busy today. I ran into Mrs mole busking in the precinct, competing bravely with two open air bars, one with a PA featuring a live singer doing rock 'n' roll oldies. Rations, a couple of prezzies and a pint were procured. Asda was fairly busy, Lidl less so. Yet again I passed on the display cases. Getting them home isn't a problem as there's a cab rank opposite Lidl, but I've nowhere to put one.

Have a good evening.

Pete

• Like 15

Evenin' all,

Unlikely to get a flake in the UK on the 25th but this image arrived from Featherville friends 5000ft up in The Rockies in the last day or two....post-7795-0-52786100-1450909359_thumb.jpg

....the lodge has a balcony on each side and we were the first to stay there with them in similar conditions in 2010. The roof gullies have electric heating elements within them and twice a day they automatically come on to melt ice/snow. Despite RSJ & cement tile construction some Winter falls are significant enough to collapse the structure.

The snow is 88 inches deep there just now.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 17

Question.

Do I sort all the carp out now and throw stuff away or do I stuff it all into a box and sort it out after Christmas?

Before you answer be aware that I've just found a box of carp 'to be sorted out after Christmas' from 1997.

1997!!  Amateur!  Mrs G (who could represent England at hoarding) has boxes of carp dating back into her childhood.  I have warned her that if she ever wants to move house, I will need at least a year's notice to persuade her to chuck out all this "essential stuff".  Personally, I think a big bonfire would be about right. :jester:

Who ever said that Christmas was a time for peace, quiet and relaxation?  Precious little of that here today.  With both sons (plus wife and girlfriend) arriving tomorrow, today has been a whirlwind of cooking, cleaning and other domestic duties.  I did manage to get out first thing to collect some wood from the beach, which had arrived with the gales, but it was very windy, and high tide, so wood collecting was timed between waves in some cases.  Wood was then washed with the hose to remove the salt.

So finally, I manage to sit down & relax with a pint, only for No 2 son to phone up saying his car wont start.  Seems like his battery has gone flat, as for some reason, the cooling fan was still running an hour after he got home this evening.  Green Flag on their way, so I told him to make sure he tells them about the fan running, as he is not very at all mechanically minded.

I fear tomorrow will bring more of the same - last minute shopping, cooking & cleaning and general panicking.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, glad to hear that most people have survived the mad rush to the shops.  From the queues anyone would think that they are going to be for a week not 1 day.

I collected the turkey and managed to get 3 dozen fresh made pigs in blankets from the butcher.  A few other last minute things were added to my list as I set off and I braved Asda to get them. Ironing duly done and then I went to see Tony and helped his daughter assemble a new flat pack table and chairs for him.  We had a good natter over a cup of coffee and then I spent an hour or so at the clubroom.  Not a bad day.

Hope that all the others with dental problems get them sorted and that they settle down quickly.

Anyway tomorrow I am told that we are cleaning and getting ready for Friday.   I've got to collect a table, some chairs and some crockery from church as there will be 14 of us.  The Boss is already airborne and heading towards cruising altitude.  No 1 son rang up yesterday and empathised.  I told him he ought to be here rather than 70 miles away. I will do my bets to keep  alow profile.  

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'night all.

I understand I am on cleaning and 'initial table preparation' duties tomorrow.  The latter means I put a lot of the stuff out on the table and arrange it how I like it then the management takes over and arranges it properly the way she wants it plus adding the final flourishes (seems I'm not passed out on final flourishes).

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all. Well yet again I had no work issued to me, and as yesterday I kept a low profile and continued dosing myself up with Lemsips.

Mid morning we got a text telling us our order was in at John Lewis, so I was promptly dispatched to pick it up. Whilst I was out I collected my prescription from the doctors and then got it dispensed too so hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

Since returning home I've assisted cleaning in the kitchen, living room and dining rooms. I've also managed to wrap up Sheila's Christmas present so not much more to do now, but no doubt Sheila will have other ideas.

Yesterday whilst the grandkids were at ours, they watched the film Arthur Christmas, but our youngest granddaughter who's only 7 said she wasn't enjoying it much as "it was too Christmasy". Her elder sister said "yeah its not evil enough for her".

Good night all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A bit busy recently - been drifting in and out of ER for the past few days. Ticked a few boxes along the way - I hope I've not missed anyone.

Christmas Day in the NB household involves feeding about 110..................

Junior NB is still way at Uni, as part of her course involves working either Christmas or New Year's Eve. - She'll be home om the 28th until the 5th, before returning south. So first time in 18 years without her  that will be strange. At least we'll take in a ice hockey match on the 3rd.

Mrs NB's work will be taking the orders. So rather than sitting at home alone (with the faint possibility of cracking open the Grey Goose),  I may as well go and work for her (and get paid!)

My job will be manning the bar as well as being dogsbody in the morning, helping out with the last few seting up tasks. One will be a proper "man task" - lighting the fire in the old range in the front lounge bar. Hopefully, our shift will finish about 3-4pm, but the rest of the day will probably be crashed out in front of the TV with a large beverage. (Likely to consist mostly of the aforementioned Goose)

We have a few friends around tomorrow night (hosted at wife's workplace), so that'l be our Xmas meal - a simple buffet as we'll be well and truly "turkeyed out" by Friday afternoon.

I still have one more driving lesson tomorrow, but that's just after lunchtime, so weather permitting, I may go and chase a small white ball around a field for a couple of hours in the morning. Then I may go shopping for a couple of presents before the evening's festivities.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

Calmer now......but it's not the food shopping that really does my head in, youngthesnail, but the thought of youngjohnnyhuman missing out on his trainset because daddy couldn't be arsed to order it a few days earlier.  Ten minutes later and he wouldn't have got it, as I said it was the last one - of a LOT!  Whilst we don't personally do Christmas, I hate to see upset kids at a time of year that really, religious considerations aside, is for them.

'Laura three sugars'....no wonder her hair used to be blue.... :jester:

If it's anything like one of the calls that came in while I was in Antics earlier it's also your fault that you can't guarantee it'll be there tomorrow...

While I'm incredibly disorganised (trying to remember how my boss worded it in my last appraisal, it was something along the lines of "Matthew always seems to know what's going on, but neither he nor I have any idea how"), I can't see how you could leave something that important that late. I've still had a bit of running around to do today but it was pretty low risk- anything relying on the post was sorted a week or so ago.

I dropped in to a friend's earlier and he was staring out the window/ loitering by the door waiting for the courier- under strict instructions from his partner that he was to call for her and then stall the courier without looking at the present, while waiting for her to come downstairs- it was his present from her that he'd been instructed to wait for... he'd got hers weeks ago.   

Good to hear that the traditional train set still sells at Christmas though!

Laura likes Christmas, and I admit it's infectious- must be all that sugar.

• Like 17

Evening all. I hope your day has gone well. BoD your post is not boring, we all hope you are on the mend.

Today has been as busy as I expected. I braved Asda this morning for a few bits and pieces. Then it was a case of flying around on various errands including collecting tablets from the vets, taking the wreath to the crem and delivering the last few Christmas cards.

Amber is getting more and more excited. But an afternoon walk around the new housing estate and over to feed the ducks tired her out. This evening I finally managed to deliver the road signs back to the model railway club - they have been stored in the boot of the car since the Weston show last month. It was nice to see some familiar faces. I was tempted to take one if the Isle of Wight 02's for a in on the club layout, but the toy shop called for the last few stocking fillers for Amber. Job done. Now relaxing with a beer and my favourite Royle Family Christmas special.

Night all.

• Like 14

Morning all,

Thank you as ever from my heart for the responses to my Christmas greeting, including a literally staggering PM from AndyB!

About a week ago, I thought that Joanna and I were going to have a fairly leisurely time with Christmas Day being hosted by No1 grandson and partner, and Boxing Day being hosted, albeit in our house, by eldest daughter from Epping. Grandson's partner is terrified by the prospect of cooking a turkey and a gammon for all the family for the first time, and so 'old softy' here has volunteered to cook them in my range, and take them with us in time for an afternoon kick-off (they only live around half a mile away)! It then occurred to No1 that if she leaves Epping on the morning of Boxing Day, there won't be time when she gets here to cook the large turkey crown, centrepiece of her planned buffet. Guess who's doing it? Not really much stress however. Sprouts as usual have come from one of my old customers who at 80+ still goes to work for a few hours at a nearby market garden. He turned up with two whole stalks, cut that morning and crowned with lots of my favourite greens - Brussels tops.

Dave(TG), belated 10th anniversary greetings, I hope you both have many of them! Lovely images of the beautiful scenery near you, it must be a joy to ride with those views. I didn't much fancy the one of Featherville in the Rockies though - I think 88inches is a bit over the top, and we simply wouldn't cope in this country.

Lurker, hope you and your family have a lovely festive season, it's difficult to believe that a whole year has passed since you informed us of FiL's problems. I hope he is capable of joining in this year.

DD, that is indeed a beautiful wildlife photograph and, as Warren (BoD) said, that certificate certainly underlines the amount you do for the benefit of others - very well earned!

Brian, it sounds like your cancer caused you to be put through the mill, but it's pleasing to read that the treatment appears to have been effective. The side effects from the radiotherapy can be quite interesting, weariness, washing with 'simple' soap and applying acqueus cream to the area affected to mention but three. My last dose was a large single one, but it appears to have missed the point where the pain is worst, near where the pelvis meets the spine. As I no doubt mentioned, the recent scan was to allow pinpoint targeting so they can try to attack the precise site of the pain, and this is due to occur as soon as I've recovered enough from my hernia operation on the 31st of this month.

Baz, fingers crossed that 'youngest herbert' gets a result from one of these interviews. You must at least be proud of the fact that he didnt just sit back and accept his situation.

John(CB) and Simon, there isn't enough 'stuff' in our house to cause clutter as Joanna is a minimalist. My study, garage and loft are a different matter of course, the walls being full of a large number of volumes from my book collection, as well as lots of 'useful stuff'!

Must remember seasons greetings to our missing members such as Tex, and those off air like Rick, Chris, Bill and others in the hope they look in.

The hump is just over, and I'll miss terribly the traditional de-camp to the local pub from my last garage which was a Christmas Eve lunch-time tradition. It gave us a chance to treat all the staff, from cleaner upwards, to drinks and something to eat to say thank you for the past year. Joanna will be happy though, that I no longer get poured out of a car at tea-time as I did then!

Try to have a stress free day tomorrow, and think of me, no doubt helping with last minute cleaning so that the house looks OK for Boxing Day! Continued improvement wished for all our poorly members, and safe journeys hoped for those travelling to escape the hype,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

PS if the 'railsquid' happens to look in, I hope he, his good lady and above all the 'squidlet' have a great Christmas.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Well it is later than I thought, we have been last minute shopping for perishables. The staff at Tesco in Clay Cross were really great nothing was too much trouble for them finding things like cream for trifle with longer use by dates on etc. Mrs B has been retired to bed already having tried to do too much, 'which bit of you are disabled do you not understand?' quote from DD2 who casually came home with a male rabbit called Sandy..... and a hutch that needed assembling ASAP.

I now sound like my Grandad a miner retired from the pit because of the dust in his lungs coughing up muck but I think I am getting better.

I condemned the uplighter in the lounge today insulation on the wires had hardened and was crumbling, big mistake 'we' had to go get an exact replacement from Homebase in Sheffield another two hours lost. 

It only remains to wish everyone Health, Peace and Tranquillity.

• Like 1

1997!!  Amateur!  Mrs G (who could represent England at hoarding) has boxes of carp dating back into her childhood.  I have warned her that if she ever wants to move house, I will need at least a year's notice to persuade her to chuck out all this "essential stuff".  Personally, I think a big bonfire would be about right. :jester:

Amateur, indeed!

I'll have you know that the 1997 was one I found anew. Some others I know about are stuff from my childhood that my mother brought with her, and she died 22 years ago - so we're not hoarding amateurs at all!

But some of the stuff from my great grandmother's time is certainly not carp - so there's no chance of getting rid of it. It's having somewhere to pout it that's the problem.

• Like 10

Evenin' all,

Unlikely to get a flake in the UK on the 25th but this image arrived from Featherville friends 5000ft up in The Rockies in the last day or two....attachicon.gif11jpeg.jpg

....the lodge has a balcony on each side and we were the first to stay there with them in similar conditions in 2010. The roof gullies have electric heating elements within them and twice a day they automatically come on to melt ice/snow. Despite RSJ & cement tile construction some Winter falls are significant enough to collapse the structure.

The snow is 88 inches deep there just now.

Dave

Ah yes, also in Idaho. We are almost neighbours. They are only 470 miles from here. South most of the way down scenic Route 95, then hang a left at Mountain Home..

• Like 10

Morning all. I'm seriously hoping of getting home at a decent time today although having to work the other side of Swindon on a job that is anything but routine might prevent this happening.

Not a lot planned for tomorrow apart from a lie in and apparently it's also my turn to cook.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A long day for us ahead.

Last trip on Southern for us this year - first two trains of the morning showing as delayed os lets hope its just these and not a problem for the whole morning.

Yesterday they were all over the place due to signalling problem at Haywards Heath, driver shortage and another problem at Littlehampton affecting our journey from Whyteleafe on the Caterham branch back to Redhill.

Ended up on our normal train home from Purely but it was the usual 15 minutes or so late. Normally we would have missed the bus but last night we were on our way to our local pub to meet another RMwebber and just caught him at the bar :sungum:

A good few pints drunk to finish off our day out and a walk home in dry and warm weather.

Blustery this morning along with showers aswell.