RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have been having a debate with Mrs Lurker about the amount of calories you burn while being relatively sedentary. She reckoned that my estimate of 1500 a day was way too high and that 500 was about right. I have found a website that has a calculator which takes account sex, age, height, weight and gives you a calory usage for being totally sedentary (ie just sleeping). Turns out for me I had underestimated and it is approx. 1900. That must be several extra poppadums, especially as I plan to walk to the venue (by Waterloo) which means I won't be totally sedentary....

The simple answer is "never enough" when you're trying to lose weight.

A reasonable place to start, albeit with more modern work available, is that of P O Fanger, a Danish thermal comfort scientist dating from the mid 70s.  

Pere would say that when thermo-neutral (a seated in environment where the ambient temperature, air movement, humidity felt comfortable) you'd expend about 58 W/m2 of energy. For reference your surface area would be calculated by a formula devised by Dubois et Dubois (1916), and based on height and weight. Typically males of average height and weight might be about ~1.9m^2. Hence your body loses just over 110 Watts continuously. I believe that works out at 95 Kilocalories per hour.

Emphasis here is on how you "feel", based on a group of people voting that they felt neither warm, nor cool, i.e. a subjective measurement of comfort is used.

Equally peoples' shape has changed in the 100 years since Dubois et Dubois came up with their formula. 

More interestingly, can you use mild thermal discomfort to lose weight? Turn the temperature down till you "vote" to being slightly cool and you may well shed a few more calories. You may, however, kick against this sense of discomfort and end up deciding to have a warming item of food or drink, thereby negating the result! 

As a historical footnote I've a photo of Fanger and myself in Yokohama many years ago. During part of our visit we were invited, along with scientists from other nations, to try our hand at various aspects of Japanese culture, including Ikebana - a form of flower arranging, with our hosts judging who had made the best fist of it. Let's just say on that day in history Britain held its head high when it came to traditional Japanese flower arranging; not of course that I'm competitive!  

In Part 2 of this anecdote I might be pursued to reveal what happened at the subsequent banquet when we were asked to entertain the delegates with karaoke.    

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Plus - we didn't find out till quite recently that our daughter when working down the smoke - HoD at very big S London comp - was attacked in the subway acrioss to Charing+ station from Trafalgar Square on her way home from the theatre one evening.

Way back in the late 70's, I had a similar experience.

We were carrying out a joint military/police exercise with the Met in central London, and in a subway near Charing X, I was accosted by large gentleman of Afro-Carribean origin with a flick knife, who requested my wallet.

The radio I had was next to useless underground, so I opted to play his game.

I put my hand into my pocket and withdrew the 9mm Browning. 

Eyes like saucers, he dropped the knife and fled.

It must have been good training as I'm pretty sure I later saw him in one of the appropriate 4 x 100m Olympic relay teams.

(Of course, these days it would be the mugger with the gun and me making the olympic final)

Edited by Happy Hippo

An uneventful day in most respects.

I try to be observant especially when driving. I wonder how many times I've driven past this one without realising? This was from the dash cam.

post-6953-0-06428000-1452112684_thumb.jpg

Andy - Your tale about changes in temperature reminded me of a couple of trips I had.

After being in the Falkland Islands for a winter we flew back to the uk with the usual stop at Assension Island. Even though it was ten at night it was 27 degrees C.

I also came home on leave in August from Gibraltar. The temperature here was in the 20's and I was wearing a rugby shirt and fleece.

Rick - Great news about your neighbours daughter.

Dave - Really sorry to hear about the delay to Is's treatment.

Jock - I really hope that tomorrow goes well.

• Like 15

This work year started on Monday with a reasonable drive in and answering email which task finished at 09:45. So far so good.

Then went down at 09:55 to wish the IT lot a Happy New Year and that’s where, two minutes later, the proverbial started hitting the rapidly rotating air mover. It’s been like that ever since. And as the problems I didn’t know about land at my door the week thus far has been a right pain. I can say that I had a good hour this year.

Marking of student assessments was also started, and the first one I picked up was a case of plagiarism. Not happy as they take ten times as long to produce all the reports necessary.

Then it was some sign holders I’d requested in September - which I specced up and said let me see before ordering - they hadn’t and being delivered three months later were wrong. So we start again.

Then the furniture quote I’d been expecting before Christmas hasn’t turned up. And the guy’s off until next week.

Then the cloud storage has lost a load of my files. I now have to recreate the stuff for teaching.

And there’s more. Just think similar. By this time I'm getting fed up.

Then people are complaining it’s too cold - lots of them. So I measure the temperature and it’s the same that they weren’t complaining about before Christmas. Here I am in short sleeves and they’re wrapped up for the Arctic.

By this time I’m so peed off that I threaten them

“If anyone else complains about the cold I’m turning up in a mankini!”

Under probate rules only 'professionals' such as solicitors or banks are allowed to charge for their time. As an executor you can claim expenses but not your time. For that reason if you have asked someone not a main beneficiary to act as executor ( for example your brother or sister to act when the estate is left in trust to children) it is curtsey to include a legacy to the executor as a thankyou.  

Don

I'm all for showing courtesy towards people, but I'd feel rather silly dropping a curtsey to them.

Andy - Your tale about changes in temperature reminded me of a couple of trips I had.

After being in the Falkland Islands for a winter we flew back to the uk with the usual stop at Assension Island. Even though it was ten at night it was 27 degrees C.

I also came home on leave in August from Gibraltar. The temperature here was in the 20's and I was wearing a rugby shirt and fleece.

Reminds me of some work I did on sleep deprivation, circadian rhythm and heat stress about 20+ years ago! I think I set the lab to 40C though. Mind you, around that time everything we did was around 40C. Can't think why. ;) 

• Like 1

and make a start on composing feedback on my Swiss holiday for the travel company.

Sent them some after the fondue evening! Thanks for the reminder to add more to the pot.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Were there a couple of tracks, as in sidings, out of Sovereign Street tram depot under the station as well ?

Yes, and the Queens Hall next door was an ex tram depot.

John's grumble about plagiarism reminds me of a chap in my GCSE English class who did his best to drive our poor teacher to the point of despair. One particularly memorable example was a piece of travel writing, for which we were given an example for a safari holiday- herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Plain and all that. Billy copied this in it's entirety but changed all references to animals, places and weather to something suitably Welsh. Another time he copied my essay quite literally word for word, unfortunately his was higher up the marking pile than mine so he got "A big improvement Billy, well done" and I got "Great essay, shame it's the same as Billy's...". Billy came clean of course (although I'm pretty sure he didn't need to!) and she saw the funny side after we'd been suitably ticked off. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

John's grumble about plagiarism reminds me of a chap in my GCSE English class who did his best to drive our poor teacher to the point of despair. One particularly memorable example was a piece of travel writing, for which we were given an example for a safari holiday- herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Plain and all that. Billy copied this in it's entirety but changed all references to animals, places and weather to something suitably Welsh. Another time he copied my essay quite literally word for word, unfortunately his was higher up the marking pile than mine so he got "A big improvement Billy, well done" and I got "Great essay, shame it's the same as Billy's...". Billy came clean of course (although I'm pretty sure he didn't need to!) and she saw the funny side after we'd been suitably ticked off. 

Why is it that any stories referring to school days always involve a kid called Billy (or alternately, Little Johnny)?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Thank you to all those who've offered me support, very much appreciated. The day started out early as planned but the traffic was much heavier than expected. We arrived at the hospital later than planned. However it wasn't so bad as the queue to book in was very small and I then had to have my bloods taken, again not a very big queue, so we were seen pretty much on time in the end. All went well, I just have to wait now for the results of my blood tests. If all is ok I'll get a letter next week, if not I'll get a phone call, here's hoping for a letter!

After lunch I decided to spend the afternoon in the pool. It was fairly quiet until an aquarobics class started, so I got out. I did manage 50 lengths though, which is not bad considering I haven't been since the end of November. Ive really got to be more disciplined and start training properly now that I've signed up for the Loch Lomond swim in August!

Mick (newbryford). Thanks, that made me laugh. It reminded me of a comment from one of the girls that I trained when she was an apprentice, often used to say that "Not sure you will ever be normal, but then again you never were!!"

Rick (Gwiwer) So glad that your neighbours daughter turned up safely, it must have been worrying all the same.

Jock. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 1

I think Golly must have sore eyes.  Pity he hasn't worked out they're drops, not something to eat....

attachicon.gifDSCF7847.jpg

Our Scottie, Shona, likes to mangle safety pins. When Torri (the Cairn) was a puppy he would go for anything rubber or plastic. We found speaker wires with little tooth marks, destroyed flip-flops etc. One day I found teeth marks in the flex to a table lamp that was plugged in. The chewing seemed to stop after that.

BTW, did you know that an electric shock is four times more likely to be lethal in the UK than in the US? The voltage may only be double, but it's the power that does in the cells in your body.

• RMweb Gold

I'm all for showing courtesy towards people, but I'd feel rather silly dropping a curtsey to them.

Well spotted I must have missed the O  then auto spell reversed the es I am sure I typed that in the right order. It would be better if it left it alone.

Don

• RMweb Premium

November. Ive really got to be more disciplined and start training properly now that I've signed up for the Loch Lomond swim in August!

Mick (newbryford). Thanks, that made me laugh. It reminded me of a comment from one of the girls that I trained when she was an apprentice, often used to say that "Not sure you will ever be normal, but the again you never were!!"

There are two types of people in this world.

Those that think they are normal, and those that are...........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, and the Queens Hall next door was an ex tram depot.

I think there were three sidings in all and it was used at one time to store trams that went for preservation.  It later became a car park for people from the regional government offices in city house.  I'm not sure what it's used for now.  

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Nice evening out at The Mill at Sonning where I see that nice Mr Clooney has had quite big fence erected between his new property and the Mill.  Great show called 'Stepping Up' about an amateur tap dance group - one of whom would perhaps be better known by some folk as Herr Flick.  usual good meal to start things off with some excellent brazed red cabbage among the vegetable offerings and the steak pie was well up to usual standard too.

And in the meanwhile today has, as planned, seen 'Christmas' restored to its place in the attic for the coming 345 days.

G'night all.

• Like 13

Morning all,

Thought I'd have a quick catch up as I don't feel sleepy yet! Thanks are due as usual for all the kind, supportive good luck messages.

Grandson Matt is luckily taking his baby son to Colchester General tomorrow and so has volunteered to go an hour or so earlier to take me as Joanna still isn't comfortable with a longer drive since her shoulder damage. I'll obviously fund their fuel costs and lunch in the restaurant whilst they wait for the baby's appointment, as his partner and two and a half year old Amalie will be with him. They really are sweet kids, and they know Joanna will be on hand to collect Freddie their son from school if our return is delayed. I am blessed with a lovely family!

Dave(r-a-r), I loved the cartoon and I'm (sorely) tempted to blow up a copy for the study.

Dave(TG), looks like you probably got damp on today's constitutional. I hope the draining situation 'Is' has soon settles down so the radiotherapy can start - sooner the better as she would no doubt agree!

Duncan, it took me a couple of moments to notice what was wrong with the sign - don't suppose anyone flies aircraft low and inverted along that road? Hope today doesn't get too stressful.

John(CB), I was sorry to read about how your first week back has turned to carp - if there is a silver lining in your particular cloud, it is that things can only improve. A large single malt (or beverage of your choice) while you and Sandy pore over holiday brochures would be my recommendation!

Mal, not sure if you've found a wi-fi connection yet, but from my own experience, as Don wisely counselled, you are entitled to request 'reasonable expenses' but not recompense for the valuable time you will doubtless spend on the task.

Brian(BSW01), what a nuisance that you have to wait so long for your results - my oncologist always insists that I have my bloods done a couple of days before a consultation, and a scan before that, so he can then give me a result on the day. The blood unit at Colchester normally have the results on screen next day by the latest!

Next 'swelling' report sometime tomorrow and meantime, good luck to all those still unwell and hopefully a positive bulletin on Peter(DD)'s mother in law. Anyone got an update on the lovely Debs, and we now haven't heard from the 'squid' for a considerable time?

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 10

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon filling cracks in a stone fireplace with quick-set cement. Because the stone is rough and the cracks very narrow in places, I had to do quite a bit of smoothing with my fingers. I now have no fingerprint on my right index finger.

• RMweb Premium

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon filling cracks in a stone fireplace with quick-set cement. Because the stone is rough and the cracks very narrow in places, I had to do quite a bit of smoothing with my fingers. I now have no fingerprint on my right index finger.

You'll have to rob that bank in the next few days then, your fingerprints will soon grow back. :jester:

Evening all,

Nice evening out at The Mill at Sonning where I see that nice Mr Clooney has had quite big fence erected between his new property and the Mill.  Great show called 'Stepping Up' about an amateur tap dance group - one of whom would perhaps be better known by some folk as Herr Flick.  usual good meal to start things off with some excellent brazed red cabbage among the vegetable offerings and the steak pie was well up to usual standard too.

And in the meanwhile today has, as planned, seen 'Christmas' restored to its place in the attic for the coming 345 days.

G'night all.

Mike,

Thanks for the news about Richard Gibson (Otto Flick in 'Allo Allo') - I used to like his character in that daft programme although Joanna was convinced I only watched it because of his love interest Helga (Kim Hartman). Then there was Vicki Michelle but that's another story! Lost sight of them all for years now but you really have brought back some memories as I also used to visit the Mill - always good value around 1980/81 and what an interesting building. I assume that still pertains today?

Thank you for bringing back a forgotten but lovely time in my life,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 15