The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It really hasn't been a good 2016, so far, for many of us: injury, illness and deaths of loved ones.

I hope that the following isn't too black in its' humour. But when I get a bit down in the dumps, the following never fails to raise a smile:

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Problems at London bridge tonight due staff shortages and signalling problems somewhere on a Southern. Our trains first class has just been declassified. The guard went to say 'will all patien... Passenger please move down to make room for other passengers'.

Patients is a new one for Southern!!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I'll see if I can find the Emmylou Harris cover of Pancho & Lefty on youtube and have a listen. I met yet be converted to females C&W artists.

Try Mary Chapin Carpenter "Come on Come on", Emmylou Harris "Roses in the Snow" and Lucinda Williams "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" and "West".

(Edit - I mean the albums with those names, not just the individual songs.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

I had no choice but to listen to rabid rodent sounds. The clever boys who controlled the record player in the sixth form common room at school only permitted atonal screeching noise, Stockhausen I believe.

Now you're talkin'!  Well, at least that's what I would have said when I studied music, though I was saddened at the death of Peter Maxwell Davies this week.  I did love his music back then, along with the music of Richard Rodney Bennett and John Taverner.  Give me Queen, Status Quo and Sting now and I'm happy. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

One of the nice things about getting old is I have time to listen to things that I didn't like once. A lot of what is called progressive rock passed over my head as I really disliked the music-police at school and later who dismissed anything they didn't approve of. A bit like hipsters now who only like something before it was known to more than about 5 people. Punk seemed to coincide with an outbreak in South Essex of "gobbing" by punk afficiandos at anyone remotely resembling an authority figure. Listening later with less expectorant helped me to judge just the music. I still don't feel that jazz does much for me but I suppose there is still hope.

We will be going to see someone perform at the O2 (in May I think). Aditi has booked it all, she is very keen on Bryan Adams, an will be singing along.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Karl-Heinz Stockhausen write a symphony for transistor radios? Every performance unique!

Sorry to read Grandadbob's sad news. I hope this is a breech into which you can step.

Anyway, as my pretty but damaged - in the Purley train crash of 1989 - assistant Mary would say "Well, stap me vitals!" The urologue was delighted to find my plumbing performing really well! Mind you, Fred Karno was about. After all, while consulting with another patient, he suggested I nip off to the loo and empty my bladder, so I'd be able to do so calmly, and he'd measure the residue in early course. So off I snuck, and while in the loo the lights went out - power cut! Came back after I'd fumbled my way about and opened the door enough to be able to see to wash my hands, found the electric towel dispenser wasn't working etc. And the IT was still down, so no chance of booking to see him in three months, either. But things are better, it would seem.

So feeling quite pleased with life I drove home, and got a crack in the windscreen from a stone.......

Anyway, opening champoo shortly!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pierre Schaeffer might be more to Tony’s taste, perhaps.

Best, Pete.

The train sounds are OK. I have been told I am not intelligent enough to appreciate Stockhausen. I just smile at such people.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ian.

Good news about the bladder function.

I had a medical once to see if I would be able to resume work after a period of illness. It was a farce and I was able to use lots of jokes. The slightly barmy medic said she needed a urine sample. Holding up a plastic bucket, she asked me to fill it. I said I didn't think so as it looked like a 2 gallon bucket. She then held up a measuring cylinder and asked if I could fill it, so of course got the reply " from over here?". That was the same doctor who asked if I had some chest abnormality as she couldn't hear my heart. I suggested she put the stethoscope in her ears instead of round her neck.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of sampler albums, I got a VERTIGO sampler album (Vertigo Annual 1970) whilst I was still at school.

I bought it for a specific track "Gypsy" by Uriah Heep, but also on the album were tracks

Rod Stewart - Handbags And Gladrags.

Magna Carta - 'Going My Way (Road Song)

Black Sabbath - Behind The Wall Of Sleep

Colosseum - Elegy

I'll still buy one if there are enough tracks on it that I like.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

6th train of the day and second HST. Mk3s are still high on my favourite train I ride in. Two more to go, probably both 158s. Will post a couple of pics later including a tram for Dom.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Quick look in - currently in Ambleside, having a few days away to belatedly celebrate my birthday and wedding anniversary last weekend, while I was too ill to enjoy!  57 and 32 respectively....

Feeling a lot better now, but still not quite right, three bloomin' weeks!  I did 3 shortish days at work this week, leaving at 4 (thanks John) and I just flaked out as soon as I got home each day.

It has been a glorious 2 days here, but it doesn't half get cold at night compared to Fraggle Rock - frost!  what's that!

Sorry to hear about your mum, Polly.  Got that T shirt.  GDB's news too, such a shame.

Off to the Ratty tomorrow, will keep an eye out for anyone that looks like Simon!

We couldn't get booked into our usual place here due to uncertainty of me being well enough to travel, and are now in the Brantholme - which was a good second choice, as it is much nicer than our previous choice! Worth a look if anyone is staying in Ambleside. Off to gorge ourselves soon, it was Thai last night, thinking Chinese tonight.  I could do with a pint , too....

• Like 12

EARLY RISERS

ALLY PALLY MEET UP

OPPOSITE THE IRWELL PRESS STAND

SATURDAY 11:30AM

With a possible perambulation to the nearest bar

So, I wrote the above in Word, all in pretty colours, but RMWeb converted it to text.

I cycled into London Bridge this morning, to beta test the Stroke Association new intranet. A very attractive Australian lass running the session. Then cycled to Edith Cavell, wandered round the National Gallery, up the road to Foyles, got engrossed and realised that I was too late to take the bike on the train. So cycled home, getting very lost in the Elephant & Castle gyratory.

Early bath and bed, ready for tomorrow.

Bill

• Like 3

I had no choice but to listen to rabid rodent sounds. The clever boys who controlled the record player in the sixth form common room at school only permitted atonal screeching noise, Stockhausen I believe.

I couldn't believe that there's a double LP of Stockhausen's Greatest Hits - but there is

https://www.discogs.com/Karlheinz-Stockhausen-Greatest-Hits/release/2344407

• Like 3

Today actually went to plan and I even managed to POETS. I got home, made a coffee and promptly fell asleep for 2 hours. What a waste.

Like Flavio, I have had many different jobs before my current career. Many of these experiences are drawn on at various times.

Bob - Please pass on my condolences to Nicki and family

• Like 11

Too many people are dying this year.

Perhaps this is the other side of the midlife point; more departures from, than arrivals at the railway station of life.

Condolences to all affected.

Edit for poor punctuation.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

EARLY RISERSALLY PALLY MEET UPOPPOSITE THE IRWELL PRESS STANDSATURDAY 11:30AMWith a possible perambulation to the nearest bar. So,Early bath and bed, ready for tomorrow.Bill

Have the locations of stands been released yet? I know I should be given a free show guide on arrival but do you know if it is in the big hall or the "special village" or whatever the small hall is called?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

EARLY RISERSALLY PALLY MEET UPOPPOSITE THE IRWELL PRESS STANDSATURDAY 11:30AMWith a possible perambulation to the nearest bar

I'll be with you in spirit folks, especially if you adjourn to the bar - even more so if it has decent ale. Enjoy, either or all. :)

I was looking forward to a day off after Paddy's Day but ended up at the funeral of the daughter of a good friend.

We caught up for a few beers to send her off later.

Oiche Maith.

Edited by 108

• RMweb Premium

sleep well everyone!  me I ma frazzled by watching the Rhinos game tonight and Joe Root and others dragging a victory out of a poor bowling and fielding display v South Africa. Remember it Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

Up early tomorrow to get to Bolton for a 9:15 get together before the course starts at 10am.

Have a great Saturday!

Baz

• Like 14

Shattered tonight so I'm off to try to sleep but not before offering best wishes to granddad Bob and the family - another complex situation left behind for family to sort. We will try to make sense of things in the morning, meanwhile, best of luck to those still standing and great news on your urology front Ian(OD).

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night insomniacs!

• Like 1