The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Mike Raven R&B show was a must. We used to visit grandparents one Sunday a month and I used to sit outside in Dad's Austin Westminster listening to it rather than sit through whatever was on TV.

John Peel's Perfumed Garden on Radio London after midnight was also essential but I usually dozed off about half way through; I was working and had to be up in the morning.

Somebody wants lunch. Have a good day.

Pete

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Jamie, I found it amazing that you could set up a broadband connection in France from here, when I can't do it from Colchester 16 miles away.

Jock.

I was quite surprised.  France telecom/Orange have an English speaking helpline and even though it took me 3 tries to get an operator who knew her stuff, once I did that it worked a treat.  I have been promised the necessary box on 18th April, though the landline will be live before that.  It helps that I've got a French bank Account for the Direct Debit and that the house had a working telephone line until the end of October 2015.  I will report in due course if they actually deliver what they have promised but it looks hopeful.  At least two of my near neighours have broadband.

Glad that you've got the coaches.  I can only offer to help with 2P's in the senior scale.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

If you like fried bread and are partial to a fat overload, try frying a cheese sandwich. Thick slabs of cheese between two doorsteps fried on both sides. heartattack on a plate.

Don

• Like 5

If you like fried bread and are partial to a fat overload, try frying a cheese sandwich. Thick slabs of cheese between two doorsteps fried on both sides. heartattack on a plate.

Don

Isn't that what killed Elvis?

Don

Isn't that what killed Elvis?

Wasn't it the getting rid of same that did for him? :stinker:

IFrance telecom/Orange have an English speaking helpline and even though it took me 3 tries to get an operator who knew her stuff, once I did that it worked a treat.  I 

Jamie

They were probably trying to make a point about tonight's game. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jock - and maybe others - please do not infer that I have had any sort of run-in with the Big C. At no stage before or since my prostate op last year has there been the slightest suspicion of cancer. With so many of you coping admirably with that wretched disease, personally or in a loved one, my trivial bladder problems are simply that - a minor inconvenience (!) and not much more. I can't even claim to have needed painkillers.

Let the famous ERs sympathy and support continue to be offered where they are deserved, please. I do not qualify!

• Like 5

Bit miffed that I am restricted (this year) with my travel. So no Ally Pally, Railex and Warley is unlikely :cray_mini:

Anyway, I was trolling through youtube following up on various recommendations made by ERs and stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSR5A--rSOs

It still sounds good almost 50 years on! :music:

Off to dig out my tie-died T-shirt and bell bottom jeans....

Can you dig it?

iD

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. Took it slow again but we did head out for some bits of shopping, including food. Nothing wrong with trying to properly recover, is there?

Bob, may I add my condolences. Watching a beloved person fade away so quickly is heart-wrenching indeed... And may I just send my thoughts to 108 as well.

I certainly hope this spate of passings may end soon...

• Like 3

The only DJ I ever "followed", as in listening regularly to his broadcasts, was Jack Jackson, with his "Record Roundup" on BBC about mid-day on Saturdays. That was before any of the pirates started broadcasting. The bits in between the records were as interesting as the music itself.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Course completed successfully!

Jack Jackson brings back some memories - my parents were great fans - of course we listened more to Radio 2 so listened to lots of "other" music. I did get to listen to Radio 1 as I got older with my own radio. 

A certain Mr J Walker - remember "pop the question"? was a favourite.

Since then the late lamented Ray Moore got me awake, Kenny Everett took on Jack Jacksons mantle... and to many more for my own good. Sunday evenings - Alan Keith "your hundred best tunes" meant homework time!

Anyway enough of nostalgia.. time for tea!

Baz

• Like 15

Jock - and maybe others - please do not infer that I have had any sort of run-in with the Big C. At no stage before or since my prostate op last year has there been the slightest suspicion of cancer. With so many of you coping admirably with that wretched disease, personally or in a loved one, my trivial bladder problems are simply that - a minor inconvenience (!) and not much more. I can't even claim to have needed painkillers.

Let the famous ERs sympathy and support continue to be offered where they are deserved, please. I do not qualify!

Sorry Ian(OD), didn't mean to raise any confusion, but forgive the state my brain has been in over all the confusion I've had in the last few weeks mate - nonetheless I admire the way that you shrug off the dramas that besot you! At no time did I even consider any cancer link whatsoever, and I certainly wouldn't wish such a thing on the very person who introduced me to this exalted company that have been so wonderfully supportive of me for so long!

Kind regards.

Jock.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Very pleasant day was had at Ally Pally and i understand there were some model railway layouts there as well as the shopping venue, places for feeding and of course drinking beverages (various).  A very sociable gathering of those ERs who met in the right place at (almost) the right time duly took place and somehow we all actually managed to get seated for our beverage consumption session.  Travel was as ever interesting but the highlight of the day was watching a group of mature males standing on the station platform at Finsbury Park obviously trying to use their combined mental and psychic powers to open the doors of the emu that would hopefully take them forward to Ally Pally - fortunately a woman wishing to entrain would have none of that nonsense and duly pressed the button which opened the door, leaving some of the males suitably deflated.

I don't know about the other ERs but apart from a drop of beverage ad a bit to eat I did spend a bit more money - and bought a book, just the one; all the trains and things were duly left with those retailing them.

Enjoy the rest of the day and trust the others of our number have all had satisfactory journeys home (although Grandadbob was definitely in line for being packed in like a sardine when I decamped our Victoria Line train at Oxford Circus).

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

eeyoop.

May I throw Emperor Rosco into the DJ melting pot?

Had a nice trip to the Ratty today, driving over Wrynose and Hardknott passes t0 get there.  Not for Southern softies..... :O

Simon wasn't our Guard, but the trip was enjoyable as always.

Off for a Thai meal soon, hard life. :sungum:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. A rather dull but dry day, so I decided to wash the car this morning as it was in dire need of cleaning. Whilst doing so I had to stop several for chats with the many friends/neighbours who walked past that I knew, so much so that it took a lot longer to do than I'd originally anticipated.

As it's the first Saturday after payday it was Indian takeaway night, chicken Jalfreezi tonight, (it's our favourite) followed by a bottle of Merlot whilst watching programmes that we've recorded over the week.

Whenever we have a bacon butty, we ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS dip the bread in the bacon fat, it's not the same without it!

JohnDMJ. You're the one of only a handful of people who've actually heard of Dan Fogelberg, let alone got any albums.

AndrewC. Twin Sons Of Different Mothers, a very good album, is not the typical style of Dan Fogelberg. It was a concept album with Tim Weisberg, which he replicated many years later with "No Resemblance Whatsoever".

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Travel was as ever interesting but the highlight of the day was watching a group of mature males standing on the station platform at Finsbury Park obviously trying to use their combined mental and psychic powers to open the doors of the emu that would hopefully take them forward to Ally Pally - fortunately a woman wishing to entrain would have none of that nonsense and duly pressed the button which opened the door, leaving some of the males suitably deflated.

Talking of train doors.....

On my travels yesterday observing a HST arriving at Derby. It stops and there's quite a pause without the door opening. The Orange CDL lights have illuminated, so they are unlocked. However, both sets of passengers - on and off the train waited for the door to magically open on it's own........

Eventually, someone decided to have a go with the big shiny lever thingy........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

So we got the caravan back OK - have this to a fine art as it's getting quicker to do so.

Bacon sarnie for lunch, then a little later than planned restart because we both sat down and snored.

So clean the van - out with the Karcher, hose and extension - get them all arranged, logged in, switched oxxn and we start.

Now I do know that Karcher's aren't steam powered. This Karcher didn't know that and started emitting smoke and flashes of light in the casing. So that's consigned to the scrap heap.

So get out the long extendible washing brush.

That fell apart.

Caravan washing can wait for next weekend.

I'm now cooking a curry and Sandy's waiting for the England/France match.

Good weekend nevertheless.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

I am back home after a pleasant day out at Alexandra Palace. I felt really unwell when I arrived but was feeling totally fine when it was time to meet the other ERs. A very pleasant time was spent chatting and consuming a couple of drinks. I didn't buy any books, rolling stock or modelling sundries. When she met me at the station Aditi was concerned as she thought I must have left my shopping on the train.

Aditi went to the hairdresser this morning and instead of having a haircut had some of the grey bits coloured. Aditi always had naturally streaky hair and the hairdresser is quite skilful in covering up up the grey bits with what I refer to as metallic carrot highlights. This costs more than I spend in a whole year at Mick the barber down by the station. However Aditi's hairdresser is so good I tell Aditi not to bother looking for someone cheaper.

Since getting home Aditi has been preparing meals for the freezer. My cousin ( I only have one) is coming to stay shortly after we return from our trip over Easter to see Matthew. I said to Matthew we will take my cousin to a pub restaurant that we like but he didn't. He said he didn't really dislike it, he was just being grumpy. He can be quite odd about being taken somewhere " nice". He is getting better though I am glad when we went to the hotel restaurant when we stayed in Utrecht we just ate in their brasserie rather than their formal restaurant, he would have not liked that at all. It is odd though, as the place we use to take him to in Austria on holiday was rated at 5* and had assorted catering awards. Anyway we are having fishcakes tonight as a nice simple dinner!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I did not spend anything on models etc as ran out of time to visit Gaugemaster and the attempted visit to buy timber for Fort Myers wasn't successful as the only person serving in the Day store next to Bognor station disappeared to try and find extra help but didn't return leaving quite a few people in front of me waiting and with me requiring timber to be cut decided it wasn't a good day for this.

Did spend on non modelling items though.

A few beers consumed after fixing MILs toilet door.

• Like 12

Risotto tonight, but mouth watering at the mentions of curries elsewhere. Have been cooking them for years but usually with chorizo. Tonight was with king prawns. Maybe I am gearing up for tasting seafood and risotto in Venice.

Pretty cold and overcast in sunny Teignmouth today but the bottle of red is helping the evening go whilst watching England try to lose from a winning position.

• Like 13

Very tired tonight so a post forthcoming tomorrow more likely!

Best wishes to anyone in pieces in the hard shoulder for this moment awaiting surgery!

I'll dream something up in this night's dream perhaps

Kind regards

Jock.

G'night Pete! Gout a chicken for supper!