Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all having just got back safely from the nether regions of Glasgie.   A good day has been had, all the various curves were traversed (NO sniggering back there) and my mates daughter managed to get us upgraded I both directions.   Got home and read on here about Brussels.  It sounds horrible and I will catch up in due course.

Fortunatley in 29 years as a police officer, through the IRA and other campaigns I never got near a bomb of any sort.   I count myself lucky as one officer I knew was one of the first on the scene at the M62 coach bomb which was about 3 miles from where I now live.  I was lucky, not all of my colleagues, especially those in NI were.  The Northern Police Convalescent Home at Harrogate unfortunately had  a lot of patients from Northern Ireland and though I never had to use the facilities none of us ever begrudged our contributions.

Keep safe everyone.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

My father climbed tbe career ladder in a once well known company hence moving around the country. He ended up as a regional sales managerfor Northern Ireland and Beruit. Don't know who he upset but he packed it in and started his own business after being in those places as the curfews and bombings started.

• Like 11

Evening most , morning to others.

Her indoors missed the pub bombing in birmingham by a few minutes - some of her friends didn't.

I must be missing something as I was told that if you are not a whole body you cannot go to heaven  in a lot of faiths. Seems someone has decided this doesn't count if you blow yourself up... Feel sorry for all involved but it looks like the airport design did soften some of the blast.

In other areas weathering completed and posted off ... 

But today has been somewhat frustrating. Having been mucked around by EE/T Mobile I want to move to another provider. Fine, new sim arrived, PAC number despatched, then unlock phone "This phone is not recognised" took 15 minutes waiting to get the system inputted manually now just need to wait ten days!  (it takes microseconds to do it but Hey for £8.99 they need to give you VFM...Minor compared to other events today so...

can we get away with a cheer up model??  Oh buggrrritt...

attachicon.gif4554 tother side light (2200x846).jpg

Baz

I think the trouble is one of interpretation. People tend to interpret such things to fit what they want it to be, regardless of which religion it is.

I've thankfully never had an issue with EE, but a number of people I know have had hell with them. Soon you'll be rid of them at least, but sadly I feel they're all about as bad as each other really.

Nice modelling there Baz and a welcome change of subject given recent events perhaps.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I had no problem leaving EE but they did everything to try and stop Mrs R doing so. They told her that she had to visit a shop in person and when she did the shop staff didn't understand that.

Anyway we both signed up to Tesco which has been fine but as they don't do data roaming packages I have now changed to Three who do excellent deals and Free data roaming in a number of countries including the USA . Tesco were very easy to cancel which is a shame really.

• Like 12

What a day, especially in Bruxelles; thoughts are with all affected. It seems a pity that it would be inappropriate to nuke the selfish bug##s who seem to perpetrate this insane violence!

York is off for me this weekend; £128 on the train + fully booked hotels when I get there; quiet weekend commiserating my birthday (gave up celebrating it long ago!) seems to be in order - I can, at times, make Eeyore AND Marvin look positively deliriously happy!

As usual, thoughts etc., etc. with all in need

Night night

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Oddly I was never near any of the explosive goings on when the Irish boys were at it but, even more oddly, I became more or less on first name terms with our nearest Bomb Disposal unit as we seemed to suffer numerous false alarms and in the period after the Warminster pub bombing the army always came out to make sure that any suspect packages or bags very definitely weren't worth bothering with as we were considered a likely target (nice to know).  If the boyos had known anything about the quantities of explosives (various) passing through our yard, both civilian and military, I have a feeling we might have risen up their list and there were always strong rumours about explosives going missing from some of the commercial magazines in the Mendips.

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone.

Another dull grey, but dry day today. The was spent at our North West training centre in Hollinwood. It was only supposed to be a half days training, only it turned out to be all day! Hours sat in front of a computer screen wearing headphones and listening to questions being read out to you, then choosing the appropriate answer from a selection given below! That's 6 hours of my life that I'll never get back!

As it's Tuesday it means it's the weekly Sainsbury's Grand Prix. Oh the fun just never stops.

On the subjects of Q1's, I've also got a couple of Charlie's, 1 is the eldest grandson (16) the other a Hornby, in SR black.

There's also a few photos (mostly close ups) of the Charlie at York on my gallery, the link is below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3784-bulleid-q1/

Off to bed now, goodnight all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone.

Another dull grey, but dry day today. The was spent at our North West training centre in Hollinwood.

Hollinwood. Home of Ferranti Ltd

I started out there as a sponsored student engineer in their training centre. Our soldering teacher was called Charlie Wright, who's favourite task was to inspect our work and pull apart our carefully soldered Amphenol multi-pin plugs to find a single strand out of place on the middle pin. B*gger - we had to do it again. A tough way to learn, but in hindsight, it taught me to take care over every soldered joint since.

I later moved onto Cairo Mill at Oldham, before returning to Hollinwood in the tapchanger control department where I learnt all about relay logic and centre tapped 55/0/55v relay circuits. My corner of the office is still there visible from the M60.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16

Evening everyone.

Looking at your signature, there is only one lake in the Lake District - Bassenthwaite. All the rest are meres, waters and so on.

"In June I'm taking part in the Great North swim in Lake Windermere https://www.justgivi...ian-Whiteside7" - check the tautology but Windermere is a mere, not a lake! Enjoy the swim, nonetheless!

• Like 9

I was going out to do various errands this afternoon, and my wife asked me to pick up some groceries while I was out. At the exit door of the supermarket, they were handing out 1 kilo pork roasts - FREE! So that's dinner sorted for a few nights in the future. Only downside is that I might be sent for groceries more often.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning (well it's 5 in the afternoon here but who cares)

Very sad news today from the land of chocolate and beer. I can't bare to think my boy was in Brussels yesterday. Apart from being late home due to the entire country being shut down he's fine and seemed to have a "We don't even listen to these low life's" attitude when we spoke earlier. I found anything goes in Belgium when I lived there but the one thing they all respect is that no one ever gets hurt. Violence isn't tolerated.

Jock. Secondary passenger trains never look right unless the stock is a miss match. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your modeling my friend.

Regards Shaun

• Like 2

OH! SH!TE ! ! ! I seem to have lost a posting!!!!!.

THE FUNERAL. . . Once the ceremonial stuff was out of the way, the "tea" turned out to be a light-hearted affair. . . A dozen old ladies keeping her sons and everyone else amused with anecdotes of holidays, excursions, and luncheon clubs.

Thanks for all the "hearts", but it was a real remembrance of a long life, well lived.

A long time since I have heard so much of the local dialect -, not "geordie" - spoken. . .

My thoughts with the sick/ recovering.

Goodnight everyone. . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  All those friends known to be in Brussels, and their immediate friends and family, accounted for.  Some shaken, all stirred.

Violence will get you nowhere in the longer term.  The Irish finally worked that out.  They came close to getting me a couple of times; the Victoria station ticket office bomb - I was climbing the stairs out of the Circle Line when it went off but a brick wall forced the blast in the opposite direction - and one of the Selfridges blasts which I witnessed from a bus a little farther up Oxford Street.  One doesn't live in London for any length of time and not have some sort of innate security awareness.  Can't do much if you're innocently about your business when something beside you goes bang but my eyes and ears are ever alert for anything "wrong".

In other news not one single smurf has been reported hurt.

Brussels will pick itself up and dust itself down.  Some families will have empty seats at the dining table.  Many will have stories to tell.  The sad people who perpetrate such things will never win in the end.

Best wishes to all.  

• Like 2

Morning all. This should be (if everything goes to plan) my last ER of the week. Working from home tomorrow which means that I can get up a fair bit later.

Shaun - Good to see you posting on ER just a pity about the subject material.

Coffee to be consumed before the drive to site.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Yet another dry start and should be bright for a while.

Had a nice couple of hours with the two younger grandchildren here after school. They seem to be managing their homework quite well without "anybody's" help. :scratchhead:

Nothing has been planned (for me) today (or listed, instructed,ordered or requested) so I think some time could be spent on the layout. There is still a hell of a lot to do.

No news of "the"  parcel so far although I have now escalated things from DEFCON 4 (above normal readiness) to DEFCON 3 (ready to mobilise in 15 minutes)  :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob .

• Like 3

Some time ago I did promise to post a photo of Eira, my grandaughter.

I promptly forgot!

We took my mother to see her last Thursday, and Eira was found to be a little fractious and very restless.

Instilling some discipline is not easy in one so young but I managed it..........

'Follow my example and lie still'.

Not a murmur nor a wriggle followed for another 30 minutes or so.

But as you can see I found it very tiring!

attachicon.gifIMG-20160317-WA0001.jpg

Some one needs to get out of his muddy hollow and back on the bike!

I hope someone was standing in the slips!

• Like 4