The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

This is where we will have to respectfully (or NOT as the case may be :jester: ) disagree.

I think the world actually BEGAN with the GWREXIT (see how I did that folks, can't say I'm not up on current cock-ups events :tomato: ) that got rid of that ghastly colour scheme and we actually got the lovely BR/SR green livery to exist.

Brings up a related question, how come the ex-GWR engines never got "sensible" re-numbering, instead of those silly 4-digit things?? :O <ducking>

Coat, hat, on me bike... :superman:

I think the prevalence of cast numberplates rather than painted ones on other railways may have been the reason? Not sure where that idea came from, I know very little about such things. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

I think the prevalence of cast numberplates rather than painted ones on other railways may have been the reason? Not sure where that idea came from, I know very little about such things.

They probably cast them because no-one knew how to paint, obviously, from the livery :O  :jester: - bada-bing!!!

OK, I promise to stop now :senile:

EDIT: See this is what happens when I'm consigned to a basement dungeon for a week!

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

Mal mentioned bikes, and of course Dave regularly treats us to pics taken on his cycle tours. Reminds me that Sir Chris Hoy drove at Le Mans this year, put in respectable times and his team finished, albeit a little way down the LMP2 list.

I am informed that on September 11 the Beeb will broadcast a programme called 'From The Velodrome To Le Mans' recording his progress in his new career.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Congrats belatedly to Simon and Mrs Simon, missed you yesterday, sorry, and Robert and Mercedes today - hopefully you will get to celebrate at the weekend.

Exactly as they said above while I was elsewhere in uniform ;)  And with glass raised yet again though tempered by Robert's sad and unlucky timing of events.

Computer had a rare fit of the colliewobbles (sorry Debs) earlier.  Seems to have self-fixed now as it has done once of twice before.  

Shift passed very quickly aided by the companionship of one of our newer recruits with whom I have enough in common to be able to chat quite happily when circumstances permit.  Marred only by a thoughtless person terminating themselves beneath a train one stop up the line ten minutes before sign-off and bringing the job to a sudden stop.  Waiting passengers were directed to alternative routes home.  Supervisor offered us the option of leaving our post early to avoid conflict which was rejected with the comment that "We are here to provide customer service, not to avoid it."  Too often the accusation is (where ever in the world) that staff vanish at the first hint of trouble.  Not us.  Not tonight.

Five days off started an hour ago.  :D

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the latest Hornby News email in my inbox.

So, how long will we have to wait for the HST 125 to come out in GWR livery, I wonder.....?

. . . s w o o o o n n n . . .  :swoon:  . . .  :heart_mini: :wub: :heart_mini:  

Though I don't suppose I'll be allowed to buy one....

• Like 1

Mal mentioned bikes, and of course Dave regularly treats us to pics taken on his cycle tours. Reminds me that Sir Chris Hoy drove at Le Mans this year, put in respectable times and his team finished, albeit a little way down the LMP2 list.

I am informed that on September 11 the Beeb will broadcast a programme called 'From The Velodrome To Le Mans' recording his progress in his new career.

I hope it is better than Patrick Dempsey’s.....

Although to be fair most Americans had never heard of Le Mans before (not race fans anyway).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I hope it is better than Patrick Dempsey’s.....

Although to be fair most Americans had never heard of Le Mans before (not race fans anyway).

Best, Pete.

Dempsey is adored here. Even I've shaken his hand! I have a pic or two of him somewhere, I think.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

I had a quick word with my manager after our monthly meeting, he then made enquiries to find out who I should send my letter stating my intention to take early retirement. A few phone calls later he had the answer, and once I knew who to send it to, it was sent.

So that's it, I've made a written request for early retirement. Unofficially I've been told that there shouldn't be a problem, but I still have to wait for the official response from HR. Hopefully it won't be too long before I hear one way or another wether it's been sanctioned or not, but I'm quietly confident.

It's smiles all round here at the moment.

Back later.

• Like 18

I am sure the collie photo Debs sent to me in reply to a comment elsewhere wasn't a warning!

That's just stage one.  :no:

The horse's head on ya pillow is stage two.   :nono:

No-one ever got to stage three.  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Afternoon all from a dry but not especially bright Scottish HQ... Feeling rather ropey today, mild stomach upset not helping matters... And work not helping either. Lots to do, as we've got a big conference coming up on Thursday which our Minister was meant to attend but because of the referendum isn't - but the speech still has had to be written for someone else to deliver. Plus having issues as Treasurer, people going over budget on events and not happy that I'm pulling them up on it. Stress levels are higher than I'd like at the moment.

Happy anniversary Robert & Mercedes and belatedly Simon and Mrs S.

In the meanwhile we intend to stroll down to the town to visit the Post Office, or rather what passes for a Post Office nowadays, and to hopefully get a pedicure as it's wrinklies' cheapo day and they were too busy last week when we tried to get in.

They don't do that at my nearest post office!

OK, I HAVE to ask, is that abomination piece of carp on the tracks in two of the pictures possibly the ugliest, most awful looking item of machinery ever provided for commuter transportation or what? :O

Not seen that before and I hope to hell I never do, if anyone ever makes one in OO I'll have to buy it so I can put at least one copy out of its misery, possibly burned at the stake, and to think some folks disliked the 4-COR units <gasp> (actually one of my FAVOURITES and I wish someone would produce one).

That was my reaction to that photo too - I've never seen one before and have no wish to see one again! (and that's from someone who owns a Realtrack Class 144...)

That was my reaction to that photo too - I've never seen one before and have no wish to see one again! (and that's from someone who owns a Realtrack Class 144...)

Apart from it looking like a Stalinist statement in post modern industrial angst*  I think what makes it stand out as a piece of carp is the finishing touch; bottom left of the cab on the outside there appears to be a pedal to activate the brakes. Some will, no doubt pass this off as a step, but I think we all know better and realise the designer got inspiration from a wheelchair. :jester:

* I'm winging it here and The Guardian art critic need not fear for his position.  :mail:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening each,

Happy Anniversary Robert and Mercedes

Only just caught up as all morning I had no broadband due to those nice BT people deciding that for safety reasons the telegraph pole outside needed replacing. This meant of course that the wire attaching it to my house was detached and therefore I could not transmit my usual gibberish. Some may think that this was actually a good thing.

It was quite entertaining watching as my friend's son's car was parked about 2/3ft from the pole and nobody was in to move it. I was quite impressed with how they managed to avoid dropping either the old or the new pole on the car. 

Grandchildren have just been fed and are now finishing homework.

I watched the round ball game last night and I do wonder why. Don't think I'll bother in future.

Did the books this morning and the supply of model tokens looks quite healthy so I may peruse one or two websites this evening with a view to using some up.

Have a good one (what's left of it anyway)

Bob.

• Like 17

For a change, I had an easy day that went to plan and finished on time. Still plenty of cockwombles on the road though.

Robert - Congratulations to yourself and Mercedes.

Dave - I was wondering how you were going to get the morning calorie burn. Excellent that there is an easy solution that also maintains a bit of normality.

Polly - As a non fan of the round ball game with a net and overpaid actors, I have to agree with you. An excellent result for Wales.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Sorry, but I've had to skip a few pages, no disrespect meant at all, but today has been a lot busier than I had expected, what with 30747 having an unexpected Dr appointment this morning, Lily going into kennels, and the chimney sweep attending this morning.  He used an interesting new technique involving a rotating/expanding brush driven by his cordless drill, and it did seem to make the job a lot easier and he assures me that it also is a much more thorough process than the old pushing up and down process.

It really has to be generic greetings all round, I'm afraind, and a quick farewell, as I'm off at silly o'clock tomorrow for a few days chez 30747's family who are still on their jollies.

Back Sunday or perhaps Monday depending on M6 and general cockwombleness.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

Morning all from red dragon land.  Sunny ish.

A Belated Happy Anniversary to Simon and Mrs Simon.

I had planned a "longest day" trip to Brighton a year ago with a  mind to travel on the Tuesday.  How things have turned out this year at home has saved me from booking it.  Plans are still afoot but NOT today!  PHEW! 

From your neck of the woods, the FGW Bristol to Brighton service was unaffected by the strike!

So today, Matthew, I did a BIIIIG spreadsheet, consolidating a load of information.

Then about four hours in I discovered I'd made one huge effup about half an hour in.

Start again.

Congrats to the survivors of the marriage stakes.

Shift passed very quickly aided by the companionship of one of our newer recruits with whom I have enough in common to be able to chat quite happily when circumstances permit.  Marred only by a thoughtless person terminating themselves beneath a train one stop up the line ten minutes before sign-off and bringing the job to a sudden stop.  Waiting passengers were directed to alternative routes home.  Supervisor offered us the option of leaving our post early to avoid conflict which was rejected with the comment that "We are here to provide customer service, not to avoid it."  Too often the accusation is (where ever in the world) that staff vanish at the first hint of trouble.  Not us.  Not tonight.

Five days off started an hour ago.  :D

Likewise on the Ratty today. Just before my first trip was due to depart, a problem up the line caused a delay. I then spent half an hour going up and down the train telling the passengers as much as I knew, and then when we would be departing, only 20 minutes late in the end. I didn't get one cross word, and people were just happy to be kept informed. Some asked if they would have time to get some refreshment from the cafe, so I promised to check in the cafe before departure, which was appreciated.

We had an interesting 'show' at Irton Road station on the way back from Dalegarth. A buzzard was being repeatedly harried by a crow at high level, then by two crows, and eventually flew off. Two miles further down the track, we saw the same situation, but only just above the train and then off to the side. Not sure if it was the same buzzard and crows though. I also saw a heron minding it's own business stood in the field, only to be charged at by the only sheep in view. I have never seen that before.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Once tea had been eaten we sat on the sofa and had a quick cuppa. We then had a visit from our neighbour who again furnished us with fresh strawberries and salad from their allotment, so it's salad again for tea tomorrow night.

It being Tuesday means it's the weekly Sainsbury's Grand Prix night, all purchases have now all been stashed in the cupboards ready to be consumed by the Mongol hordes (grandchildren) when they descend upon us on Friday evening for tea.

Back to the Lake District tomorrow to complete the work that I had to abort on Monday due to my burst tyre.

But now, as the cocoa has been consumed it's time for bed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts and best wishes to those in need. Congrats to those with relevant dates, anniversaries and upcoming good happenings.

Not much to report from NB towers as car was in for a service this morning (2nd service at 25,000 miles - I've only had it since October...........................)

I used the spare time to prepare [*} for the school prom season at wife's work. There are about 15 events over the next 3-4 weeks ranging from 100-210 people, mostly of 15-16 year olds and a few teachers. My task is car park arrival duty, arranging the cars and other sundry modes of transport dropping off the kids to their event and the parents wanting to hang around waiting to take photos of their little horrors darlings all glammed up. Up to 150 is easy, 150-180 is a bit difficult and 200 is a nightmare as they all arrive in about 10 minutes, with the prom vehicle queue often tailing out onto the main road.

The usual problem with these events are the eejits in various sports cars who want to show off and pin it down the approach drive - usually in my direction. However, it's quite a smooth surface and can be slippery when damp, so a carefully aimed traffic cone kicked in their direction often works to slow them down.

When it is damp/wet, I warn the drivers on the way in to be careful with the surface. 

Last year, on a damp evening, a motorbike dropped off their prom passenger and then gunned it - doing an unintentional 360 at about 10 mph in the process and promptly dropped it much to his embarrassment. Whilst he and his mate were inspecting the damage - broken brake or clutch lever and a few scratches, I calmly walked up, asked them if they were alright and then told them to move the bike as it was in the way. I turned round and walked away suppressing a series of giggles.......

We've had everything over the past few years in Ferrari, Lambo etc, helicopters, fire engines, double deck buses, vintage buses, VW camper vans, horses, F1 stock car (my nephew), snowmobile (in Summer FFS...!)

If there's anything unusual, I try to get a photo and if so, I'll post here.

{*} Preparing is putting out the various traffic cones, no waiting bollards and direction signs ready to place in their position in a matter of minutes each evening. And despite all these measures, there's usually some cockwomble that completely disregards them and I'll readily bet that the majority are in 4x4s in YPLAC mode... photo evidence will be taken

A sub-duty is making sure that the little gits kids aren't smuggling in alcohol and hiding it in the vegetation in the gardens. A walk round often reveals the odd half bottle of vodka/Jagermeister/six pack.......

TBH - it's mostly good fun and the vast majority of the traffic is well behaved, but I won't be afraid to use the term ars£badger for those that earn it.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18