The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

That about sums it up. Coldest morning of the year and I've got the roofer coming to replace the guttering. Oops. £5 says he cries off before 08:00. 

The beautiful metropolis of Telford beckons early next week for a technical workshop. 9 1/2 hours round trip for a 4 hour whinge-fest. Joy unbound. 

Burger all else. Enjoy the day.  

• RMweb Premium

\Morning all from a bright but rather cool village, how do I know it's cool.  Simples I forgot to put the bin out last night so have ventured out to put the bin at the top of the drive, it is cool.    Breakfast is being consumed and Beth is up and about upstairs.   She is doing very well.  The dressing was taken off yesterday and we survived a trip round the White Rose Centre.  We took the wheelchair but she was able to get around in the shops on her crutches.  Things seem to be moving on well.   Today there are various tasks to perform this morning and then a stew to prepare.    This evening it's off to Castleford to deliver another talk.   

Hope to hear some better news about Debs today.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit chilly but the sun has made an appearance and hopefully it will stay dry.

Today I'm free! It's Nicki's day off today so the Boss is meeting her and they intend to shop and lunch and do a bit of catching up. I mean to say a lot has happened since they last spoke at length about 3 days ago!   :whistle:

I've not yet made any plans for myself. The layout is an obvious choice but I need some exercise so a walk could be fitted in. We have one reasonable pub within walking distance so I might possibly head there for lunch. Of course that would destroy all the benefits of the walk.

Decisions, decisions. I'll think about it over breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Visited a bird sanctuary to see a pair of takehe. Believed extinct they have a small colony near here. Blue plumage and flightless.

I've never heard of them but Wikipedia informs me that they belong to the rail family, so that's rather apt.   :yes:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Bit nippy here as well and it looks and sounds as if the builders of patios might actually have finished, or are staying in the warm for now.  

I have an appointment at the surgery for a needle sticking session but this is an addition instead of the more usual subtraction as I'm getting the aunty shingles jab.  According the notices in the surgery I will be called for this when I'm 70, I called them and they seemed a little surprised to be called although the Doctor (just the one back then) from said surgery delivered me so my date of birth is surely on their system - maybe they have a system problem?  Yes, and just the one Doctor back then and if you needed to see him you just turned up at the surgery, took a number and waited for your turn - the surgery, in a different building nowadays, now has 5 or 6 GPs plus usually a couple of trainee GPs, at least half a dozen nurses, a phlebotomist, two receptionists on duty during the day (from a pool of them), a couple of medical secretaries, and a practice manager, yet you often have to wait 5 weeks for an appointment unless it's an 'emergency' (where you should get an appointment within a day or three).

So a nice healthy walk for me down the hill and up the other side, then back again giving a total linear distance of about 1.5 miles and a vertical distance of 200 ft in total (half of which is climbing).

Have a good day one and all

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It got cold early last night, I had to scrape the ice off of the car windows at just past seven o'clock before going to the model railway club. I also put the bin bags out when I get home from the club so they are not forgotten. I didn't notice the bin wagons normal dawn chorus so they must be using the stealth bin wagons again. Time to get on now, best wishes to Debs and other ailing ER's, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning world.

Warmer here today with a bit of brightness - according to the electronical remote thermy-meter auto-seaweed-guessometer thing anyway. 10c!

Foot dressings have been changed this morning, looking a lot better, incisions almost totally dried up now so doesn't look so gory. Another week of partial weight bearing to go, see the Consultant-that-knows-his-stuff on Wednesday next week.  Hopefully released from that then, but another 4 weeks on crutches after that to make sure it doesn't crumble before everything hardens up - those big screws leave big holes in the bones!  Got told to slow down last week, rather than the usual 'get on with it' messages.  I am an impatient patient.  Sitting about like this drives me nuts.

• Like 1

My gob has been smacked. The roofer showed up on time. We've now got all new guttering, downspouts, and 3 leaks patched. From what he said there was an inscription on the flashing up top that said ABC 1983. That means the current bits are 35 now. I can see a total re-roofing job in the next 5 years for sure. 

• Like 11

Lovely to see freshly minted kids - they always looks so sweet and innocent - congratulations Richard to you and the family :)

BIN Day - <brrrr> decided to quick trip out and move BINs in just my indoor clothes. Managed to get snow from BIN lids on my hands, promptly melting due to warm hands, THEN due to a -12 temperature and -17 RealFeel you quickly discover how painful even a few minutes with bare WET skin in this weather is! :O  :nono:

Last night the modeling became a serious running session instead - does that still "count" as modelling?? Was a lot of fun for sure. :senile:

Today, first thing had to meet the refrigerator technician at the rental house - complaints of food/milk freezing in the fridge and dripping water from the freezer. Very educational, and most of the issues "operator error". With a few changes, including moving the fridge about 1/4 inch away from the WALL that was preventing the freezer door sealing completely <sigh> the problems should be solved. Will need to give a quick lesson and tips to the rental ladies.

Working only a half day today, heading off this afternoon for "TEA".

Whilst it's easy to find in Blighty, a pukka "Traditional English afternoon tea" is more of an event here, and hard to come by. The local arboretum has such an event for a few days this month and we managed to get a reservation for 4 (our travelling companions with us) today.

"A four-course menu features a demitasse of house-made soup, a selection of prepared finger sandwiches, warm quiche and profiteroles, scones with clotted cream, fresh baked mini-pastries, chocolate truffles and a selection of specialty teas."

Still a BRISK -12/-17 RealFeel, high will be a whopping -11 apparently, with snow tonight 1-2 inches...

That sums it up for now...back to work/play everyone

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Confession time.

Having resisted all sorts of goodies at Warley and again at Stafford, I finally gave in to Temptation and ordered another 14xx (to be renumbered) and GWR railcar (Twin Cities).  Both now arrived and awaiting Test and Chips from Techno Lad.  That's me living on toast and jam for awhile!  Oh, I am, already, well...er...

...OK, I'll do without the jam!  :jester:

Time to get the veggies on for dinner, now...one of those bung in the oven meals to last for 3 days or so.  I might need to replace the meat with scrag end, next time...

:senile:

• Like 4

For those who haven't seen it, Debs has posted some photos on Facebook.

I'll repeat them here later for those not on - she and I have been emailing for much of the day

To say I'm relieved that she feels that can do Facey is an understatement.

Only just got in, need food, have sick Sandy from a bug going round school, so laters, guys.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mick - probably. A lot of folk circled over my head this morning. A lot more were in my face as we had all manner of problems across the (former) Southern Region and not helped by the District Line Richmond branch being closed due to a fire.

Baz - I made it to Rotorua though not Tauranga. Other than that my sole Kiwi train trip was on an ex-Perth diesel railcar from Auckland (the grand old one, not Britomart) to Mount Eden via the very curious double-reversal at Newmarket.

Debs - excellent news from the camp. We are not connected via Fiascobook but things sound much more hopeful.

To all - rest well and good night.

• Like 19