RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

:read:  Oh HI   :secret: I've found out what GDB has chosen for his new set of wheels he's realy gone up market this time. 

He says it has one added advantage there's no room for his SWMBO so he doesn't have to take her to bl00dy Sainsburys

every day.  

:laugh:  :rofl:  :heat:

post-8647-0-95187200-1520262059.jpg

• Like 6

Morning.

Last evenings concert that I was "invited to" was in fact quite interesting.

The trio VASEN, an apparently "acclaimed" Swedish folks/instrumental/string offering, were entertaining, though not exactly my cup of tea.

I did enjoy it, but a couple of hours of string music, from a 5-string viola, a 12-string guitar and that oddest of instruments (I'd NEVER seen or heard of it before) a nyckelharpa (a “keyed fiddle”) was sufficient!

Jemma is headed to the UK tomorrow via JFK (planned to be there today and stay overnight) where she'll meet up with her friend/travelling companion. As a result of the weather forecast here for today (more in moments) she decided to spend the night at our place and head to JFK on the FIRST plane (6:45) rather than a later one, as there's every chance the later planes will be oversold as some may be delayed or not even go - weather could force some inbounds to not appear leaving some outbound travelers stranded/fighting for available seats...

Quiet day of work for me, Mrs going to her one-day-a-week gig, maybe returning early if the weather turns bad sooner than later. I'm therefore dog-sitting Whitney in the warmth and sheltered home with no intention of going anywhere, thank you very much :)

+2 and overcast right now with light sleet and strong winds, forecast is for heavy wet snow falling from late morning into tomorrow with 6-10 inches accumulations predicted.

Have a safe start to the week.

• Like 3

:read:  Oh HI   :secret: I've found out what GDB has chosen for his new set of wheels he's realy gone up market this time. 

He says it has one added advantage there's no room for his SWMBO so he doesn't have to take her to bl00dy Sainsburys

every day.  

attachicon.gifbobs car.jpg

Those things could top 80mph. There are at least two under restoration on the Autosh*te forum at the moment; one is already up and running.

• RMweb Gold

Those things could top 80mph. There are at least two under restoration on the Autosh*te forum at the moment; one is already up and running.

We got 60 out of one with 3 people aboard it was a bit of a squeeze, the company lift home broke down and my work mate said his dad was picking him up

did I want a lift as it was 2 hours by pulbic transport of course I said yes till the thing turned up it was a bit wider than the one above, they had good 0-60 speed.  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

When Aditi's sister ordered a car in the spring a couple of years ago it didn't arrive until about November. Because some of the add ons they had specified were delayed the car wasn't built before the summer shutdown and got postponed a couple of times. On the day they went to pick it up the dealer asked them to come back on another day as the "sales executive" dealing with their purchase had phoned in sick after falling down the stairs at home. Punam expressed sympathy but suggested that surely they had other people who could do the paperwork.

Before he bought his current Range Rover my neighbour Ted, really liked the idea of a Jaguar. So off he went to the. Jaguar showroom in Brentwood.

His wife left him in the showroom and went to park their car. After a while Ted was approached by a salesman who enquired "Have you ever owned a Jaguar." Ted said thst he had and the chap asked which model. So Ted replied "an E type".

Ted said the salesman clearly didn't believe him and looked a bit irritated. Ted's wife then arrives and the salesman said "your husband has just been telling me about your last Jaguar." She said " the E type?"

Probably why Ted bought a Range Rover in Chelmsford.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

We got 60 out of one with 3 people aboard it was a bit of a squeeze, the company lift home broke down and my work mate said his dad was picking him up

did I want a lift as it was 2 hours by pulbic transport of course I said yes till the thing turned up it was a bit wider than the one above, they had good 0-60 speed.  :biggrin_mini2:

Bet it was a bit more stable with three people crammed into it!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

every day.  

It even has a Surrey registration!

• RMweb Premium

every day.  

There was a fairly famous one of these owned by a former motorcycle racer ( you can guess how he needed one) he replaced the engine with a near full race 750 engine. I believe for a time it ran with the number plate PEN 15, Which I later saw fitted appropriately to a Porsche..

• Like 13

every day.  

It sounds like the line in the very old song - " Hey buddy, How do you get this thing out of second gear?"   I'd need a couple of bags of cement in the floor before I'd even try it!  :no:  :nono:  :O

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Enjoyed me tea last night and on our walk about afterwards spotted a local bakery selling....Cornish Pasties.

We didn't try one as totally stuffed from our tea. They do serve very large portions here!

We may be going to either the zoo or the transport museum today. Her indoors has not decided..yet.

Off for my mugatea!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

every day.  

Sliding doors? There’s something I hadn’t known!

• Like 1

every day.  

Fact 1: you can get about 4 people in this car; it helps if they've been to the pub and view this as both a challenge and a potential lift home.  :secret:

Fact 2: the doors may not close easily / at all if you do.  :no:

Fact 3: it won't go up and over the flyover between Old Leigh and Leigh with 4 people inside.  :no:  :no:

post-4299-0-95169600-1520277612_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So Ted replied "an E type".

Ted said the salesman clearly didn't believe him and looked a bit irritated. Ted's wife then arrives and the salesman said "your husband has just been telling me about your last Jaguar." She said " the E type?"

Did the Jaguar salesman think he could never surpass an E type with any of the current models? :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

I see my mate Bob has forgotten to take his medication again. :jester:

Several cars looked at today including Dacia Duster *, Vauxhall MokkaX and Crossland X, Ford Kuga and Ecosport. Tomorrow I'm off to look at a couple of Seats amongst others. No test drives yet, I'll wait until I've got a better idea of what I want.

In view of the expense involved I don't intend to make a hasty decision although the Ford salesman tried his best with a very tempting "never to be repeated " offer on a Kuga. ("One of only two like it in the country") I turned it down and didn't bother pointing out that I used to be a salesman and wouldn't fall for that one.

Whilst I was out The Boss did all the domestic tasks and more and is being extremely encouraging and helpful with my quest. (She has declined accompanying me .....which is indeed very helpful .  :yes: )

*Certainly the cheapest and I wouldn't completely rule it out but it's not as refined as the others. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

I’ve just read of the death of Trevor Baylis, the inventor of the wind-up radio. I worked with him at one time - good bloke. When he first made some money he blew it on a red E-type. He liked it so much that when he made some more money he bought another one. Good old British eccentrics (though I think he was colonial).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Of all the motors listed I found the daftly-named Dacia Duster to be far and away the best drive. I don’t have economy stats and technical data - t’interwebs has all that - but as a reliable, responsive and positive drive I loved it. But yes - daft name.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Lying in my pit, the radiators are barely warm, because it's warmed up outside.

I've had my hot chocolate, and all is well in the world..

Excuse me while I go order a bridge from the Orkneys...

Goodnight...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all,

I see my mate Bob has forgotten to take his medication again. :jester:

Several cars looked at today including Dacia Duster *, Vauxhall MokkaX and Crossland X, Ford Kuga and Ecosport. Tomorrow I'm off to look at a couple of Seats amongst others. No test drives yet, I'll wait until I've got a better idea of what I want.

In view of the expense involved I don't intend to make a hasty decision although the Ford salesman tried his best with a very tempting "never to be repeated " offer on a Kuga. ("One of only two like it in the country") I turned it down and didn't bother pointing out that I used to be a salesman and wouldn't fall for that one.

My views on Fords may be tainted - read on....

I have an Ecosport. After many years of Fiestas for learner driving I wanted some thing a little bit larger (the rear space was carefully measured to work out maximum baseboard sizes.....

The Eco is based on the same "B" chassis as the Fiesta.

I've also gone from the 1.5D - great for fuel and learners with unpredictable clutch feet to the 1.o litre Ecobooost petrol. Fuel consumption isn't as good, but it has about 35hp more than the diesel.

It's quite lively on the country lanes I use to work, but as with most cars these days, isn't the best in snow. But I do like the higher seating position that's better for looking over hedgerows than the Fiesta.

I'll possibly move up to a Kuga next time if finances permit and I have absolutely no problem with my local Ford salesman - I've used the same one buying Fords for many years - he's my brother......

The dealership that he part owns is the same garage that I used to have a weekend/holiday job at serving petrol and polishing new cars.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The predicted rain didn't arrive this afternoon instead there was a fair ammount of sunshine. My grandmother had one of those invalid cars way back in the 60's, and got caught speeding in it a couple of times. She was one of the few women of her generation (born 1895) to hold a drivers licence though she never took a driving test.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Did the Jaguar salesman think he could never surpass an E type with any of the current models? :jester:

No, the salesman clearly acted as if he didn't believe my neighbour. I have seen the photographs too! They sold the E type when they bought a house!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

No, the salesman clearly acted as if he didn't believe my neighbour. I have seen the photographs too! They sold the E type when they bought a house!

I should think that you could pay for a house with the money from selling an E type!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well I carried on with painting the furniture in the attic, but as it’s quite a dark colour, I think it’s going to require two coats of undercoat before I can make a start on the top coat. So I think it will be Friday before it’s ready for that stage, still there is no rush now.

I had a message from the trace heating company and hopefully my order will arrive tomorrow, all being well, I’ll install it over the weekend.

This morning’s sunshine lasted all day, but by about 8:00pm it started to rain, very hard, so hard that we had to turn the volume up on the TV as we couldn’t hear it very well, but it’s all quite now!

Goodnight all

• Like 17