The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all...........

.........Today we're taking him out to lunch, probably to the pub we went to in Dorking a couple of weeks ago.

Have a good one,

Bob.

I'm curious to know which pub, Bob, as Ian and I lived in Dorking and attended school there. Within the last four years we’ve been back for two school reunions.

• Like 14

Morning all,

Yesterday was a frustrating day as we waited for United Utilities to arrive and continue their digging and divining saga, but no joy. After a couple of phone calls, I was told that they will be back on Friday to complete the job. I will believe that when I see it!

Then in the evening, I got one of my headaches, which has persisted into this morning despite taking paracetamol and codeine. It is hopefully now clearing. If it does, then some hedge trimming will get done today.

I didn’t watch the England match last night, but put it on record instead to watch and fast forward the dull bits. That meant I fast forwarded over 90% of the match. It was pretty dire. All the news this morning is about winning the penalty shootout, but they should have been able to create far more in the game than they actually did.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I'm curious to know which pub, Bob, as Ian and I lived in Dorking and attended school there. Within the last four years we’ve been back for two school reunions.

The Watermill,  Sherry.  Chef & Brewer pub now but the food was pretty good when we went and very friendly staff. Gets mixed reviews online though I don't take a lot of notice unless they're all diabolical.

I judge pubs the same way as my dear old Dad (ex publican) used to. Check out the toilets and if they're nice and clean you can bet the rest will be OK.

https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/surrey/watermill-inn/?utm_source=g_places&utm_medium=locations&utm_campaign=

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. My TV guide definitely said last nights football would be on BBC, but then the TV guide was printed several weeks ago. As football is of no interest to me I didn't watch any of the game but I gather England won (yawn). A bit cooler this morning so feeling a bit more comfortable. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I see that they are claiming the RAF will be flying it's largest ever fly past this week. I can remember huge fly pasts in days gone by. Also post war fly pasts included many squadrons of aircraft and that was just fighters and bombers. This fly past will be digging up just about anything that get airbourne including freighters and trainers...

Knowing the perilous state of the Armed Forces, it would not surprise me if, as a 100 year birthday present, the head of the RAF receives a telegram informing hims that in order to save a few more pennies, 'Crab Air' will be disbanded at the end of the financial year.  Then the Royal Navy will be taking over the fixed wing assets whilst the Army take over the rotary wing fleet.

The Red Arrows would be sold off: To the Daily Mail's readers comments section!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

:warning:  :warning:

I did watch a bit of the game last night and wonder why Southgate played Deli Ali the guy was rooted to the spot signs of Rooney and Gerard 

I think he did touch the ball once when it bounced of him, a team mate passed to him and he had to take the ball off him as Ali didn't move an

inch did any one else notice that ? :scratchhead:

Yesterday I had a nice lunch out with a friend Steve who's just retired and he thinks the retirement lark is great he is single so he can please himself

what he does, he is going to RMWeb Didcot visit and we are off the Dorset Steam Fair in August with a local charbanc company it saves either of us

driving so we can have a sherbet or two. :drink_mini:

Some scenic work will be done to the layout today our local Hobbycraft sells the Woodlands product 3 minutes by car I'm buying other items there it

saves on a 40 mile round trip if they stock what I need.  :D

enjoy your day  G. Post  :biggrin_mini2:

Edit  GDB do something with that avatar before you frighten all the children. :jester:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Edit  GDB do something with that avatar before you frighten all the children. :jester:

Can't Bob. It's the only only known record of me without bandages, stitches or dripping blood!   :yes:

That would really frighten them.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3

Headache now seems to have finally disappeared, but hedge trimming suddenly didn’t seem like a good idea, so I have just made 5 jars of gooseberry jam with fruit from the garden. Yummy! We (by which I mean me) will need to pick more of them for SWMBO to make some gooseberry chutney which is also delicious.

Last night I had a peculiar issue with our TV and Freeview recorder. We get our TV signal from a small local transmitter, with a limited choice of freeview channels. Yesterday I noticed that the TV can now get more obscure channels like Dave, Pick and Quest etc. I tried to tune the freeview recorder to find them, but it couldn’t. This morning, the TV now can’t get Dave, Pick and Quest, but just shows “No Signal”, but all our usual old channels work OK. I am very puzzled as to what is going on. If anyone can explain, I would love to hear it!

• RMweb Gold

Good mrn8ng from somewhere in Surrey.

This morning was my last trip in towards London on my season ticket. Bailed at Purley to photo the fright unloading at the stone terminal then a train to Tattenham Corner and back to Purely were the plan was to head back to Redhill to photo the freight passing there but the Southern service was cancelled due to a fault so photos the freight departing Purley.

Then a trai nto Norwood Junction then West Croydon for a tra8n to Epsom Day was but that was also cancelled due to a fault. Change of plan and a tra8n to Epsom thn Lestherhead and Droking.

Now on a train heading back towards London so now to decidewhere to bail for a beer.

After yesterday evenings farce with trains out of London. I will be heading home before the rush hour commences

…. :warning:  :warning:

I did watch a bit of the game last night and wonder why Southgate played Deli Ali the guy was rooted to the spot signs of Rooney and Gerard 

I think he did touch the ball once when it bounced of him, a team mate passed to him and he had to take the ball off him as Ali didn't move an

inch did any one else notice that ? :scratchhead:

Probably paralysed by the whole atmosphere

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Headache now seems to have finally disappeared, but hedge trimming suddenly didn’t seem like a good idea, so I have just made 5 jars of gooseberry jam with fruit from the garden. Yummy! We (by which I mean me) will need to pick more of them for SWMBO to make some gooseberry chutney which is also delicious.

Last night I had a peculiar issue with our TV and Freeview recorder. We get our TV signal from a small local transmitter, with a limited choice of freeview channels. Yesterday I noticed that the TV can now get more obscure channels like Dave, Pick and Quest etc. I tried to tune the freeview recorder to find them, but it couldn’t. This morning, the TV now can’t get Dave, Pick and Quest, but just shows “No Signal”, but all our usual old channels work OK. I am very puzzled as to what is going on. If anyone can explain, I would love to hear it!

They Are moving the tv Channels around, so the government can sell off more of the radio frequency specturm, to make more money. In my local area there were 3 stages to the moves each needing a retune before it all settled down again.

• RMweb Gold

Good mrn8ng from somewhere in Surrey.

This morning was my last trip in towards London on my season ticket. Bailed at Purley to photo the fright unloading at the stone terminal then a train to Tattenham Corner and back to Purely were the plan was to head back to Redhill to photo the freight passing there but the Southern service was cancelled due to a fault so photos the freight departing Purley.

Then a trai nto Norwood Junction then West Croydon for a tra8n to Epsom Day was but that was also cancelled due to a fault. Change of plan and a tra8n to Epsom thn Lestherhead and Droking.

Now on a train heading back towards London so now to decidewhere to bail for a beer.

After yesterday evenings farce with trains out of London. I will be heading home before the rush hour commences

What a swizz Ian, you can't even properly enjoy being unemployed.  BTW will you get the month's refund or whatever it turns out to be that ever friendly Mr Grayling is promising to prise out of The Treasury

PS Locally the town seems to have turned into a giant car park (except for most of the bits with double yellow lines or no parking cones - yes it's stripey blazer time and this year the fashion for young ladies appears to be strappy dresses many of which are quite distracting if one is conducting a motor vehicle on the highway.  As ever many of the shops are not busy because those in the know steer well clear so Mrs Stationmaster got round Waitrose in double-quick time.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 16

…. the town seems to have turned into a giant car park (except for most of the bits with double yellow lines or no parking cones - yes it's stripey blazer time and.....

….sales of Pimms no.1 will no doubt be buoyant.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.

I believe that this time they are going to give a month's free travel which is what I don't want but hey, I will still get it as it would be a waste not to.

Making the most of today as tomorrow is a day at home to relax and hope my other half can get home ok. At least I can do various tasks for her in advance but she won't let me use the iron as I am only good with that at veneering

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

just spent much time calibrating a temperature measuring unit accurate to 0.6 part in a million. I normally see 6 of these a year I've just seen 3 in 2 weeks and one will come back again 'cos it's broke.

Meantime while waiting for this to settle, I've been revising on Keel design... I think my head hurts... Sadly what I can do is heavily limited by cost, but I have at least settled the design. Now to draw it up and work out how to build it..

I did come across a free program which generates various figures from the dimensions you know.

The Boat I designed turns out to be light displacement, very stiff, and with a generous sail area, at least those are the groupings it put it into. This is good news to me as I designed it by hand long before I had the internet. It also describes what I was aiming for, and none of my guesses pushed the design into anything called radical design. Now all I've got to do is finish it...

Time to... Do my time sheet... Then head for a big orange shed..

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Just opened my e-mails to find one supposedly from Paypal. It said that my recent card payment had been refused by the bank and could I please send details. It was so blatantly a phishing exercise that it went straight into the spam folder after I had blocked the sender.

• RMweb Gold

I went out and bought some French approved breathalysers. The AA suggests that it would be sensible to have them even though the French are not enforcing fines for not having them.

My German environment sticker has been posted according to an email I got today. The French one should arrive at some unspecified time but we are not going to the bits of France where they are needed just yet. The new car is Euro 6 rated for pollutants so it should be ok for a few years.

We aren’t going until the end of August so I am unusually well prepared!

Having changed from a diesel to a petrol engined car I was quite relieved to see that it looks impossible to put the wrong fuel in!

Poor parking by staff from the nearby school in our road prevented the bin lorry getting up this morning. The bin men wheeled big wheely bins up to collect everything. Not sure what a fire engine would do if it needed access.

I had an email from Cornwall today informing me about despatch of a loco I ordered a long time ago. I haven’t felt too much interest in my trains recently but I am sure I will again. I don’t think I have any other outstanding orders! Perhaps a visit to Laindon this weekend for the Basildon MRC exhibition will take place. I have been most years for quite some time, certainly before its present venue.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

Morning Peeps 

:warning:  :warning:

inch

Being a Spurs fan and a Dele fan I was pretty disappointed with his performance too. He attempted too many flashy back heels that didn't come off. He hasn't made it yet for England, to my mind.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some sunshine here but a bit cloudier than of late and it should stay mainly dry but with the chance of the odd shower later.

Kids were here yesterday after school and on form as usual. Joe has finished school for the summer but had to go in for his 6th form induction Monday and yesterday and thinks he's going to like it although he's got to get the right GCSE grades. He won't know the results until August. He did a week of work experience at Steve's firm last week and one of the other department heads was quite taken with him and is hopefully going to offer him some work for the holidays.

Today we're taking him out to lunch, probably to the pub we went to in Dorking a couple of weeks ago.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Trying to frighten us all with a change of avatar ... reminds me of a recent visit to primary school.  The first thing said) to me by a 5 year old was "You're old" the second was "You've got no hair"  ... the teacher then intervened and told her that it was rude to call people (not quite sure of the words she actually used but ... I could see a tradesman doing some work in the room laughing his head off.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I asked sister in law Emma if she were willing to be included as an attorney on our LPA documents. I said I suspect our solicitor will be relieved that we know someone young! She was amused as it has been a few years since anyone told her she looked too young to be a doctor!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

07:00 BP :- 168 over 107, 10:00 BP 150 over 91. First reading at home, second at the Docs. Go figure!

I was very pleased with mine at the docs yesterday, 140/80.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

cricket match..umpired...GSAL beat St Pauls' Brisbane. It was quite warm!

Fireplace replaced...now to put all of the furniture back in the room!

Off down the Model railway soc....c u later!

baz

• Like 18