The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was pleasantly surprised this evening to find that the BBC evening news/local news had its normal alloted hour. On previous evenings when there was a 7 o'clock world cup kick off the news was truncated to 6:30 but tonight it carried on almost until kick-off. Whether this is the result of complaints about the lack of any news bulletins on Sunday I do not know.

I suspect because the match tonight isn’t on the BBC?

The BBC does have a 24 hour news channel with frequent weather reports.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I suspect because the match tonight isn’t on the BBC?

The BBC does have a 24 hour news channel with frequent weather reports.

Its on BBC1, thats what I thought as well so I checked the schedule.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its on BBC1, thats what I thought as well so I checked the schedule.

We just watched the England Columbia match and it was definitely not on BBC 1. The adverts for cars and gambling were plentiful. There was a crime programme on BBC 1 that was just finishing when I put that channel on at the end of the football.

Edited by Tony_S

Does anyone know the account details of the various constabularies? Would be funny if you proffered those details to the fraudsters....and it might actually spur the thin blue line into action.

Today's new arrival was an American voice telling me that my 'inner-net' has been compromised. Truecall shall take care of future attempts. Email message from Lincolnshire Police Alert Messaging later in the day suggests that they are already aware of all this. 

Other news is that a road was closed for some hours in Bostonia last evening as a 20 year old was found with serious injuries. Bet his name will be difficult to spell.......miaow 

• Like 8

Why is everyone calling them Columbia? Isn't that where Washington is situated?

Not to be confused with the Columbia District or even Cascadia.

Whatever is left of Washington's remains is located in Virginia.

Ironically of course the Cristobal the Genoan had nothing to do with any of these places.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

We just watched the England Columbia match and it was definitely not on BBC 1. The adverts for cars and gambling were plentiful. There was a crime programme on BBC 1 that was just finishing when I put that channel on at the end of the football.

Not being pernickety Tony but Colombia played tonight Columbia is completely different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Yet another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest and once again I’ve spent the morning in the garden and the afternoon in the workshop. More work digging up the grass this morning and after dinner I re-assembled Max’s engine and gave it a test run. I then added a bit of coal to the tender. The coal I used for the tender was what I’ve found whilst working in the garden over the last few days. In total I’ve dug up enough to fill a large cup!

This morning Sheila had a phone call from our GP’s surgery asking to rearrange her diabetic revue, as she’d been given a slot in the maternity clinic, that place has really gone down the nick since she left!

Goodnight all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A 3 piece sleep last night..at least a reasonable amount,

I can tell from the reduced temperatures and Ben the Border Collie Snooring from his bed. That the promised change in wind direction to north east has brought the clouds.

I see that they are claiming the RAF will be flying it's largest ever fly past this week. I can remember huge fly pasts in days gone by. Also post war fly pasts included many squadrons of aircraft and that was just fighters and bombers. This fly past will be digging up just about anything that get airbourne including freighters and trainers...

Time too... go make some breakfast

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

An e-mail yesterday from my friend Rob, from the Swiss trip, called for a comforting reply.   He has been told that he has the beginnings of prostate cancer, which as I remarked to someone on Sunday is an occupational hazard of being a man.  He has been baffled by science, including several types of Gleason and the difference between active surveillance and watchful waiting, not to mention the difference between having cancer cells and having cancer.  He has lots more questions to ask of the medics and has every intention of asking them.  My thoughts are with him, as the thoughts of many were with me three years ago when I was diagnosed.

Today will see the 47th annual Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island, USA.  It was in 2001 that the Japanese competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi came out of nowhere and shattered all expectations by eating 50 dogs in 12 minutes, doubling the record at a stroke.  Nowadays the winner is expected to devour over 70 dogs in 10 minutes.  Ouch!  The record of 73 is held by Joey Chestnut.  I’d rather like to see Matt “Megatoad” Stonie win for a second time but he has been rather quiet lately.  Perhaps he does not talk with his mouth full.

Warm thoughts to Debs, Andy P, Andyram, Simon, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Watched India easily beat England in the T20 last night. Did not watch 22 overpaid artists kicking a bag of wind around. Due to the next round of games this Saturday cricket may have a 3 hour tea time to allow everyone to watch a slightly different set of 22 overpaid menfalling over in apparent agony..humph... not for me!

Today I shall neumpiring GSALv St Pauls Brisbane...hopefully no sand paper, bandaged hands, long finger nails, bottle tops or embrocation shall be involved (it won't as school uses Dukes Cricket balls).

Sister Dracs littlest helper has left me with a large bruise, news my weight is slightly lower than 6 months ago and my blood pressure was high....next up Nurse Drac in a couple of weeks.

Stay calm, enjoy whatever you do and hope that all that ail have a good day especially Her Debship.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Mooring again,

At least tihis time I have spaces, I tried 15 minutes ago on this computer and no spaces, even with 3 different keyboards. Then I tried a reset, and it got stuck on a blue screen with the word  resetting on  it.. in the end I pulled the plug out. That seemed to work, Now I note it says new softwhore avaiable. that can wait till I'm wandering off elsewhere.

I noticed just before I left for work it said England took 4-3 penalties.... Does that mean they accepted 1 penalty and if so what was the fine? And  just what has the space shuttle columbia go to do with it..

Today the Americans celebrate their printer getting his finger out for a poster that announced that 2 days before they had agreed to their Declaration of Independance, it took up to 2 years for their representatives to all sign it. Later they... the Americans were late for 2 world wars by 2 years  just what is it they have about     TWO...

I notice the dry weather has cause a section of hawthorne hedge to go brown and start losing it's leaves about  a mile from home.. Also that the NDR vegetation on the embankments has also gone very brown, due I suppose to not yet having good established roots, one discarded cigarette and...

I notice that the Mid Norfolk railway has some New rolling stock... yes new, very new...the new trains being collected for the Greater Anglia franchise!! http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/mid-norfolk-railway-deal-store-greater-anglia-trains-1-5586057

Err time I did some work

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems to be slightly cooler this morning. It is a bin day but Aditi put them out late last night. Aditi is off to Rochford this morning to attend a lecture about piers. She has been asked to look after a guest while the art society hold an AGM.

I don’t have any special plans for the day. I suppose I could clean the central heating sludge filter.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 17

Morning all.

The sun is shining, the wavelets in the harbour are glinting, one might almost say smiling in the warmth of another fine day here at Carshalton-sur-Mer. Sadly the whelkmen are still abed, as today is the feast of Saint Campavan of Wycombe. Back in the eighth century Campavan was an early Christian proselytiser who travelled from place to place to spread his message (and I suppose His message as well) in an elaborate ox-drawn cart. The problem with the cart, equipped as it was with two bedrooms (paliasse rooms, actually), a kitchen and a full Roman bath, was extremely slow, and used to impede other traffic on Watling Street, Ermone Street and the Fosse Way.

Eventually other travellers, so enraged by Campavan's slow progress, hauled him out of his wagon and crucified him just outside of Portus Dubris. He was on his way to Gaul, but had been holding them up all the way along Watling Street since they left Londinium, two days earlier. He is honoured by the Whelkmen due to his fortitude when being told to get out of the way and hurry up, as this is a common occurrence for them in their working lives.

In other news, we had lunch with old friends at The Wharf, Teddington yesterday, and apart from a visit from Lloyd in the Lemon Van nothing much is planned today. The family continues to be both wonderful and frustrating and Julie is now getting physio for her knees. Oh, and Baz and I would like you all to remember that Jordan Pickford is a product of Sunderland's Academy of Light...

So have a good day, but be careful on Watling Street.

• Like 15

I've now got 44' of shelves to fill, though 5' of that is a test track as well. 

Ah, the 39 feet! Quite insufficient - trust me. (Though it does sound like it might be a promising title for a book. Do you have a publisher?)

• Like 2

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons.

Humpday already - thank goodness. This week is not exactly flying past on gilded wings. The ongoing course review remains ongoing, and desperately dull it is too. Looking forward to the weekend already - there's modelling to be done! A piece of track bought from Hattons has been replaced as it was damaged in transit, and this means that the bridges I bought in Germany can be put together. I like building bridges; this will be my fourth since March. There are another three to do, ranging from a 6" single-track stream-crossing to, at the other end of the scale (and the other end of the layout-to-be) a 4-track monstrosity taking 5' to curve through 90 degrees. Fun, eh?

Kindly regards scattered like grass-seed;

Tinkety-tonk, etc.

Gavin

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Yet another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest. My first task is a visit to the big orange DIY shed to pick up a few comestibles before some vouchers run out.

On this day 6 years ago I began what was to be a 2 year programme of chemo therapy, on the whole I think it must have worked because I’m still here. The side effects caused me to take up swimming and as a result I’m probably a lot fitter now than I was then, or have been for quite some time!

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Smiffy, yes and there are (were) some other ex Sunderland players kicking footballs about in Russia.

These whelkmen have more church holidays than anywhere else in the world. May answer why we are always short of them...

Baz

• Like 15