The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very warm and sunny and is due to stay like that although some thundery showers are possible later.

Lunch out yesterday was very enjoyable but once again I ate too much. Either that or my belt has shrunk. 

Thursday means the joys of visiting Sainsbury's. Hopefully we'll get that done before they get too busy.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 12

07:00 BP :- 168 over 107, 10:00 BP 150 over 91. First reading at home, second at the Docs. Go figure!

Laurence,

Next time, take your monitor to the vets.  But the variation is not atypical - my bp spikes with caffeine input.

Pre caffeine, I'm running with 130 / 75; pulse 48.

Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice and sunny this morning.

Our game today is scheduled to be over by 4pm so i should get to watch cricket at Headingley tonight.

Due to some sort of soccer game on Saturday some cricket matches are starting at 9 am to finish by 3pm. Nor sure about my match but a 9am start would suit me as I have to be ready for a match in loughborough by 11am on Sunday.

Have as good a day as you can. May black dogs be kept in their kennels, and hopefully others who ail have a good day healthwise.

Baz

• Like 18

So yesterday, I let home at 9:30am for church, the charity (*), diocesan synod (via Ian Allen) with drinkies to celebrate the end of the trimester, back home at 10:00pm and straight to bed.

Lord's today for a 20:20 game.

Bill

(*) finally balanced the bank account to 31/03/18. The lass who input the figures had her own version of double entry; one when the invoice was received, the other when the cheque was drawn - go figure!  And debits and credits were random.  Oh, and of course, the last error was mine but obvious when the variation was twice that entry.

MoorinG Awl, Inner Temple Here,

An Awlful nights sleep of about 4 hours, I don'tknow what it was that woke me but when I came down stairs Ben was Hiding in his cage...

For the last two days I have had number plate polishers following me most of the way to work, Yesterday it was a Nissan Juke box, and today a Audi estate..  The Audi  eventually overtook on a straight and was doing an estmated 100+ before he reached the end of the straight. However, When I go to the NDR roundabout  a mile or so later he was stuck behind a line of slow cars.. just in front of me.

The BBC  have been making a hash of things for a few days, yesterday  the presenter stumbled over the words when she had to read out that she was going "to unpack the news for you later"  what idiot put that on the teleprompter?

The Red ticker tape has been showing the same result for several days for the overpaid men chasing  a piece of leather, a result not including the UK < it also has been showing A that  Scotsman won a  game hitting a little lime green ball for several days..

She then this morning went on to Say " Today 70 years ago, was the first time in the world Citizens of a country did not have to pay for free health care"? !!!  since when did you pay for something that was free..

This later while driving in, made me think of what we would have had to pay for medical wise in ourr life times had the NHS not been invented.

Grandfathers generation,  So we would have had something like the USA with big companies including health insurance and small ones generally not.,

One was a coal miner, probably not covered by health insurance, probably not covered, then Military and then GWR / BR where he was covered.

The other grandfather was life time (almost) Military so he was covered.

Dad, Military then Civil servant so probably covered for his working life.

One sister still a civil servant, in fact now working for the chief medical officer of Scotland so she would have been  covered.

The other sister  a factory worker till she stopped for children, probably not covered . But now Working in the National gallery of Scotland so probably covered.

Little brother ( aged 50 shortly) always worked for High tech companies so probably covered,

Myself all but 3 years definately covered (Employees of this company round the world have some coverage, even we have some limited Bupa supplied coverage). the only Question would have been the 3 years working for Tesco (do walmart cover medical insurance their employees?)

Two other points from the bit on TV, Bevin on this day 70 years ago as part of the NHS creation posed collecting the keys for a hospital... From Lancashire county council, which means he was collecting the keys from a free source of medical care to present it to the NHS. Many other councils ran free hospitals as well charities. The NHS was a great step forward but not as much as many think..

They praise Bevin for the NHS creation, but his implementation was that from the Beveridge  report made in 1942.

I don't think anyone should be denied essential healthcare and I think the NHS does a great job. All good healthcare is extremely expensive, but I don't think most people in the UK now understand just how expensive it actually is. In the US the costs are continuously in your face which makes it difficult to ignore what they are. Even old f@rts like me on Medicare still see what the services cost. It ain't cheap.

Laurence,

Next time, take your monitor to the vets.  But the variation is not atypical - my bp spikes with caffeine input.

Pre caffeine, I'm running with 130 / 75; pulse 48.

Bill

Funny stuff caffeine. I can have a mug of seriously strong coffee when I wake then promptly go back to sleep.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think anyone should be denied essential healthcare and I think the NHS does a great job. All good healthcare is extremely expensive, but I don't think most people in the UK now understand just how expensive it actually is. In the US the costs are continuously in your face which makes it difficult to ignore what they are. Even old f@rts like me on Medicare still see what the services cost. It ain't cheap. I agree.

I Agree,

Thinking about it, I think the biggest benefit is having Free GP's  for those unable to afford (or didn't wish to afford) the contribution schemes many GPs ran. Means that many people are repaired long before reaching the hospital stage. the percentage of those needing a GP at some point in their life must be almost 100%, where as those that need life threatening problem fixed in a Hospital is a lot less..

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've had years of not boasting but recently we have improved. As for Dele not being good at anything that is a bit harsh. He needs to learn to stay upright and with a few more years first team experience he will be something to reckon with.

I think I will agree to disagree with you with regards to Ali and leave it at that, the bit about Spurs was meant to be a joke so don't feel hard done by. :biggrin_mini2:

Good morning all,

Very warm and sunny and is due to stay like that although some thundery showers are possible later.

Lunch out yesterday was very enjoyable but once again I ate too much. Either that or my belt has shrunk. 

Thursday means the joys of visiting Sainsbury's. Hopefully we'll get that done before they get too busy.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Robert how was that pub in Dorking ? I was thinking about a day out at The Bluebell Railway and stopping there for dinner

on the way home. :drink_mini:

Morning Peeps

Warm again today, l had a rough night  not much sleep acid reflux after a meal out of fish & chip with a couple of lagers to

wash it down, it was 2am I was down in the kitchen taking Nexium, it calmed down after 10 minutes I then manager to get

back off to sleep till 7am I will try to get to see a doctor today these drugs are certainly upsetting the system that's if I can get

through.. :mad:

We have a whole week end of watching the tv with the sound down for the British Grand Pr!ck Prix so I don't have to listen 

to those clowns :crazy_mini:  doing the commentary it should be a good race as Lewis is on the back foot. 

I must go I can't get through to the doctors I'll pay them a visit                                                 enjoy your day  P.I Stoff :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is shining and Sheila has just left for her Zumba class, so once again I’m home alone! The plan for today is to take it easy, as after dinner we are travelling to meet up with some friends at our favourite watering hole in Derbyshire. So my first task will be to fit a new blind to the workshop door and then finalise the car insurance.

Back later

• Like 16

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons.

The endless course review continues. At least I'm now on the fourth of five modules. When it's finished, I will have all the fun of undertaking GDPR training. This is a singularly pointless exercise in my case, as I'm the one who assessed, checked and amended our company procedures to make them GDPR-compliant in the first place, but apparently The Box Must Be Ticked (presumably so that we can boast that 'every member of staff has received GDPR training').

Ribs are still sore - much wincing and harumphing every time I rolled over in bed last night. 

Best wishes hurled at the deserving;

Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The last time I drove down to London it turned out to be a local derby between the two said teams and the last part of the journey took as long as the previous 100 plus miles.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I think 'The Q' had better sort out that sill biddy on the radio and tell that health treatment in Britain was not free from 70 years ago yesterday - and I have the hospital bill to prove it for my stay and treatment at the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Yesterday's half promised rain dd not materialise but some clouds did although they were very much of the Australian variety - looked nice, even at times threatening, but delivered nothing.  However they did deliver a somewhat muggier night whereas the clear skies have generally resulted in cooler nights.  As faux Friday was achieved yesterday there will be no more than a minor Tesco visit today, far more important will be a visit to the garden centre in order for Mrs Stationmaster to seek out advice about her tomatoes which are suffering either blossom end rot or possibly blight.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I think 'The Q' had better sort out that sill biddy on the radio and tell that health treatment in Britain was not free from 70 years ago yesterday - and I have the hospital bill to prove it for my stay and treatment at the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Yesterday's half promised rain dd not materialise but some clouds did although they were very much of the Australian variety - looked nice, even at times threatening, but delivered nothing.  However they did deliver a somewhat muggier night whereas the clear skies have generally resulted in cooler nights.  As faux Friday was achieved yesterday there will be no more than a minor Tesco visit today, far more important will be a visit to the garden centre in order for Mrs Stationmaster to seek out advice about her tomatoes which are suffering either blossom end rot or possibly blight.

Have a good day one and all.

I paid for a minor Op years ago as the NHS weren't happy to cough up so I do wonder where some of the media get this carp from.

• Like 6

…. smug Arsenhole fans, but not so smug at the moment.

My senior colleague is a rabid Ars*nal fan, and - as a Liverpool fan - I have been enjoying their expensive underachievements in the last couple of seasons. As a consequence, my colleague thinks she could run Arsenal better than the current shower.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was one of the first born under the auspices of the NHS being only two days younger but according to a website that if you put in the date/time of birth will tell you where you were in the queue there was *4,124 in front of me, baby boom or what? There was a retired surgeon speaking on the TV yesterday who qualified just as the NHS was being formed. His opinion was that the advances in health care combined with the above mentioned baby boom has contributed to the costs of the NHS more than anyone thought. *Though I may have jumped the queue as I was in a bit of a rush, my mum was in labour for less than an hour and I arrived on the trolly as mum was being wheeled in to the maternity unit from the ambulance. 

• Like 14

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was one of the first born under the auspices of the NHS being only two days younger but according to a website that if you put in the date/time of birth will tell you where you were in the queue there was *4,124 in front of me, baby boom or what? There was a retired surgeon speaking on the TV yesterday who qualified just as the NHS was being formed. His opinion was that the advances in health care combined with the above mentioned baby boom has contributed to the costs of the NHS more than anyone thought. *Though I may have jumped the queue as I was in a bit of a rush, my mum was in labour for less than an hour and I arrived on the trolly as mum was being wheeled in to the maternity unit from the ambulance. 

Well. . . seeing as  you were in such a hurry to get here,and, you've been here 70 years. . . . . . 

What d'you think of it so far?

John

• Like 6

This morning BP 159 over 92. Yesterday morning was one of those when you start to think what next! including an emergency plummer visit, then the bus was late and stopped at every stop so that I was late getting to the Docs. I was expecting a high reading because of the stress so was suprised at the lower reading, the Doc was happy with it so I dont have to go again for a while

Mornin awl

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning (11.58 as I type!)
Warm but not as sunny today.
No sign of toy loco but I suspect “free”delivery from Kernow is Royal Mail 48 hour. We didn’t plan to go out anyway until Aditi finished a draft of her French booklet. Double sided A5 for folding into an A6 booklet. Multicolour too! It wasn’t working then I did one of those irritating IT support things of asking whether the paper was orientated correctly. Works now!
My blood pressure depends on who takes it and how. My GP uses a manually pumped device and gets a reasonable result.

Jamie mentioned a couple of things that happened to me yesterday.

1, Finding stuff in the car. I was a little disappointed not to find an owners manual in my recently acquired car. There is an interactive online one but not in a permanently downloadable format. I asked my neighbour and he said he had one with his one year old version of the same car. I was going to ask for one but a more thorough search revealed a drop down container in the glove box. No whisky though.
2, headlamp diverters. Apparently my car doesn’t need them. It knows where it is via GPS and adjusts the dip appropriately.
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The last time I drove down to London it turned out to be a local derby between the two said teams and the last part of the journey took as long as the previous 100 plus miles.

We frequently drive round the NE segment of the M25 to visit MiL in Enfield. The short non motorway journey along the A10 and roads in Enfield takes as long or longer than the motorway section. Very busy local traffic, even on non-football days.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't Christopher a bit old for that type of thing?

Probably not. He was recently employed to replace all the scenes that contained Kevin Spacey in a complete but not released film.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Not-BIN day, as the July 4th. holiday means BIN pickups are delayed one day.

Enjoyable July 4th. here, albeit punctuated by serious downpours, excessive humidity and heat, followed by a finale of a decent early evening...

Steamy around 37 with miserable heat index most of the morning! At least we didn't get the EIGHT INCHES of rain that southern Minnesota got - they spend the 4th. handling flood waters.

Trevor and Meagan over for brunch/early dinner and we made a particularly non-US meal I'd spotted from chef Jamie Oliver (Brit), "Brioche Bhaji Burgers" (essentially an Indian onion/squash bhaji on a bun with some extras), all prepared by yours truly (Brit chef for the day).

Followed that up by going to our local block parties in my England/Beckham jersey :)

Who says you have to fly the "stars and stripes" to enjoy the "4th" day off :jester:

Back to work today, some respite from the heat supposedly in order, 22 now and partly sunny, with a high of 28 and much lower humidity for now - Yay!

Tally ho, work, work, work, or play, play, play, choose your options.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

That and the average life expectancy in 1948 (male) was around 65 so if you qualified for your pension you were lucky.

Now it's around 80... it's going up by 2 to 3 years in every 10...

Interestingly between 1890 to 1948 ie before the health service..the increase was more like 6 years in every 10...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancies/articles/howhaslifeexpectancychangedovertime/2015-09-09

That's an interesting web page,

but of course there are lies / damn lies/ and statistics..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11