Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have only done just over 3000 miles since I got the new (new to me) car in July but 2000 of that was in a fortnight on holiday. Falling down the stairs and then food poisoning has limited my motoring!

I mentioned my M+S tyres. This is what they look like.

post-6719-0-92011800-1540590846_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

I have only done just over 3000 miles since I got the new (new to me) car in July but 2000 of that was in a fortnight on holiday. Falling down the stairs and then food poisoning has limited my motoring!

I mentioned my M+S tyres. This is what they look like.

attachicon.gif2CCAB482-2E14-4A37-9E6E-FD5BEB0485B8.jpeg

I didn't know Marks and Spencers sold tires?

Seriously, around here it's not so easy to find tires that are not mud and snow, but they are a bit of a compromise between traction and road noise. My XC70 came with Pirrellis that had great traction but they were horribly noisy at speed.

The best winter tires have studs but they are extremely noisy and they also destroy the road surface (there are cart-tracks on the freeways here). There are also "studless" snow tires that use a particular rubber formulation. They work well too, but they wear out very quickly.

Here, with four-wheel or all-wheel drive we can usually get away with M+S tires for street driving all year.*

Andy

EDIT: *and if the snow is really bad you can't beat a set of chains. Come to think of it I better buy some for my truck. Hopefully I'll never have to use them but it's good to carry them as insurance.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

How many laps of the TT is that?

But anyway, I'm hoping Keith still gets it serviced on a time rather than mileage basis, and he takes it for a decent long run now and again to boil-off the water in the crankcase. The oil-seals need to be exercised an a regular basis too, as do the tires.

First service already booked for November 26th. If I didn't get it serviced on time the car would carry on telling me that its overdue for the time-based service. M-B seem to be quite hot on this!! Anyway I would be getting it serviced on time as I got a discounted three-year service plan when I got the car.

Keith

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Those tyres are not too dissimilar to those fitted on our car..

Well I set off for the MRC in horizontal drizzle, while there it turned into torrential rain. Which luckily stopped just before we left, it's not hammering on the windows now only because there are no windows on that side of the house. I can hear it hammering on the conservatory..

We had a good turn out tonight and I heard Tuesdays turnout was standing room only..

Before tea break the ganger has been busy and all the rearranged parallel pieces of metal were pinned in place. I then looked to the hillside and noticed a slope, not good, on getting the bubble level out I found the work bench was as they say here "on the huh" a few bits of ply under the legs one end sorted that out.

OK that's clever, heavy rain hitting the windows both side of the house at once..

The navi's then found the hillside had slumped in the middle something involving white powder PVA and water was used to make up the ground. At the point tea break was called.

After which a member had brought in some very nice etchings of pre grouping four and six wheeled objects for the transportation of humans. In a Nice scale. So some discussion was of that and their construction.

Right time for bed...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, burghers and burgherettes. Sat on my break in the middle of another night shift, so I thought I’d say hi.

Still more or less autumnal but dry right now. Annika caught a bit of a sniffle, as did Elise. I’m quite sure this won’t be the last bug to make rounds at home once Annika starts attending the nursery beginning 5 November!

Nite-y... :bye:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Van hired. Gearbox cargo, suspension shot and only 135000miles on the clock ! Some doilums had pinched the gearbox knob insert so gear changing was, how can I put it, interesting.

Show setup is Ok but some local roadworks and the need for our secretary to be taken to hospital have caused a bit of disquiet.

Nights all!

Baz

And Barry O...my work signature

• Like 14

The best winter tires have studs but they are extremely noisy and they also destroy the road surface (there are cart-tracks on the freeways here). There are also "studless" snow tires that use a particular rubber formulation. They work well too, but they wear out very quickly.

Driving a small sedan some years ago, I found myself aquaplaning uphill on Interstate 5 (the main west coast highway from BC to San Diego). An accumulation of road surface erosion by studded tyres had cut two channels in the lane and heavy rain filled them into flowing streams. Only by driving closer to the lane edge and out of the ruts could I maintain traction. That section of highway has long since been repaved. 

Today's challenge is the sodden, ground up, leaf fall mush (mostly in car parks). Any hint of acceleration while cornering on that can cause lateral instability in the rear end. It's fun if you 'want' to slide sideways but not generally desirable.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well no sooner had I mentioned the fact that the sun shining, then it was absolutely lashing it down. Luckily I’d just got back inside before it started, having just unlocked the garden gate for the window cleaners, who were due, but I assume didn’t bother due to the awful weather, they’ll probably turn up next week now.

Mike and Sarah should have been coming round for tea tomorrow night, but we were informed earlier today that Mike had to go to hospital early this morning due to his recurring kidney stone problem. Hew was discharged just after dinner, but on his way home the pain returned, so he went back to hospital due Who are now keeping him in for observation and he is currently waiting for a bed!

My car, which I bought new in July last year, has just done over 2800 Miles so I expect it to get passed the 3000 mile mark, some time next month. I must admit, since retiring last year, I don’t miss the driving at all.

Goodnight

Edited by BSW01

Tamnavulin bought from Asda today. . . . 

I had to look that up. It reminded me of Tamiflu - the 'flu' medication which doesn't do much of anything as far as I know. There's a newly approved 'flu' medication in the US but it's called Xofluza so 'flu' medications have been in the news.

I guess Tamnavulin is a Scottish medicine after all so perhaps I wasn't that far off.

• Like 12

I had to look that up. It reminded me of Tamiflu - the 'flu' medication which doesn't do much of anything as far as I know. There's a newly approved 'flu' medication in the US but it's called Xofluza so 'flu' medications have been in the news.

I guess Tamnavulin is a Scottish medicine after all so perhaps I wasn't that far off.

And possibly much more effective than Tamiflu (temporarily at least.)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The TV says that our car is having a recall -- something about stalling and having a valve replaced. Got too busy to call today, but I suspect that there may be a wait while they come up with enough replacement parts.

Did take the chiming clock in. It finally stopped. I got it 15+ years ago for 20 years service. Apparently it should be looked at every 3 years. We look at it every day.

Chased off to IKEA for more shelves. The size I needed 5 of is out of stock so I got the one larger shelf. We are moving the magazine collection from the plastic shelves onto wooden ones.

• Like 16

Good morning one and all.

I will be in London today for a meeting of a music appreciation group, the RGM Appreciation Society.  RGM stands for Robert George Meek, who as Joe Meek was an innovative record producer best remembered for “Telstar”, a worldwide hit for the Tornados that I would take to my desert island if the BBC ever invited me to do so.  Joe was a troubled man both blessed with and cursed by artistic temperament and took his own life aged only 37.  He was gay at a time when liberalisation of the law was still but a dream.  Those round the table today will put the world to rights over a pint or several with Joe very much in mind.  On the way to the meeting I will call at the Kings Place box office to secure my ticket for Jim Causley’s Christmas Show.  There must be easier ways of evading booking fees.

I have some more work to do over the weekend on something about which I will say more when everything is in place.  Meanwhile the battle against depression continues to be fought and I am trying to carry on regardless.  I think I would be feeling much worse if I did not have the trip down under to anticipate.  On a not unrelated matter, I am cautiously optimistic that Harry and I have staved off the collapse of our association, at least for the time being. 

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing. 

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple Here,

A good solid nights sleep to which I'm hoping to top up shortly.

It's blowing a gale out there with intermittent heavy rain. In those areas sheltered from the wind the leaf mold mush will be on our roads.. Not a day for the motorcycle .

Ben the Border Collie is not asking for out in this weather...

Today's work, Lazy Kate to build, and layout carriages to start.

Time to hit the snooze button..

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all..off to our model railway exhibition...breakfast at the Grammar School....

C u later

Baz

Have a good show Baz

We had a good run down to Taunton so we decided to catch the only train of the day on the West Somerset railway departing at 11.45 and back to Bishops Lydeard at 4pm. That was just about right ot head to the Taunton show venue. The breeze was blowing leaves into the venue so we literally had leaves under the rails. Layout set up and running by 6pm so we headed to the hotel then an evening in town.

The rest of our team arrives this morning so we just need to put the final items of stock out and switch on the tail lights on various wagons etc.

Should be a good day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour to all of you. I can report that I survived yesterday but whether my liver did is debatable. Today we are off to Cognac to do some shopping, including some fireworks. Mutterings are also being made about heating so I'm going to look at some replacement's for our rather ancient electric wall heaters. I suspect that modern ones will be a lot more efficient than our 1970's examples. This evening we are off to the Salle de Fetes for pizza and frites plus a film show. No one seems to know if the French film has subtitles.

Baz, I hope that the show goes well for you and also Ian (RH). Chrisf, I wish you luck in you efforts to keep the canine in the kennel.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from a chilly boring borough. 

Early run to the shops is about to launch. Doing this as early as practical to avoid the temptation of a post shopping pint. I've got way to much DIY to do this weekend after taking a few weeks off. Today Matthew I shall be painting the upstairs landing, finishing the second coat of paint in the office, and slicing & dicing components for the stair railings and spindles. 

The skip lorry driver screwed both of us up on our bet. He arrived an hour after his window in the early evening. At least the damn thing is gone now. 

Keith, 2000 on the car sounds about the same as I'm doing these days. In January it will be 4 years since the Landy hit 100,000 miles. I still haven't passed 108,000. A far cry from when I was putting nearly 800km per week on the Toyota back in Canada. Looking back since I started driving at 16 (41 years for those that give a crotte) I estimate I've driven at least 1,800,000 km before leaving Canada 15 years ago, and only about 120,000km since. Another 12 years at this rate and I'll get to 2,000,000km driven.  

One last coffee before we hit the road. Enjoy the day. 
  • Like 18

Mutterings are also being made about heating so I'm going to look at some replacement's for our rather ancient electric wall heaters. I suspect that modern ones will be a lot more efficient than our 1970's examples.

Hi Jamie,

Unless the new ones use some sort of heat-pump technology, it won't make a damn bit of difference. Old electric heaters are extremely efficient. Virtually all the energy they consume produces heat. They are just as efficient (thermally) as new electric heaters. The problem is electricity is an expensive way to heat a home. That said, we heat a lot of our home with electricity because hydro-electric power is not so expensive here and the house is well insulated.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 5