RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Whilst I waited for the postman this morning, I decamped to the cellar and went through my kit pile. Over the last few weeks/months, I’ve picked up some bits and pieces to replace poorly cast white metal bits. So I added all these small detail bits in the appropriate loco kit. Once I’d done I went to the kitchen and put the kettle on(it didn’t suit me) to make myself a muggertea, when the doorbell rang, it was our friendly postman and he handed me 1 of the 3 parcels I was expecting, no doubt the rest will be here in the next day or so. So after drinking my muggertea, I then disappeared to the workshop. I spent some time on the lathe, on which I made a couple of sniffling valves for the G16 from some small brass rod which I have in stock. These were to replace the verypoor resin castings that came with the kit. Once I’d finished them, I drilled a couple of holes just behind the chimney and glued them both in place. I also glued the handrails in permanently, as the knobs I fitted the other day were now set. Just a few more little bits to add then I can give it a clean and then a coat of primer.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

John (DMJ) you should have mentioned that you would be stopping off in Mainz as there used to be, and according to Google still is, an excellent watering hole and restaurant nice and handy for the station, Weinstube Raugraf.  I was introduced to it by a bunch of DB chaps several of whom lived locally and found it very pleasant with good food, ideal after a busy meeting in DB's HQ - but that was 20 years ago although it still gets very good marks on various websites. 

Shopping today was limited to Tesco and no passing 165 was seen, I'm told we might make Waitrose tomorrow.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

We went to the cinema yesterday. It's a place where they show films on a big screeny thing.....

The kids saw "Ralph Breaks The Internet" while we watched "Mary Queen Of Scots".

SPOILER ALERT:

It doesn't go well in the end.

If you've seen the opera, you know how it ends.

• Like 7

Morning All,

It is a dark and cold morning in this part of the world.  I also seem to have a dose of man 'flu.

John (DMJ) you should have mentioned that you would be stopping off in Mainz as there used to be, and according to Google still is, an excellent watering hole and restaurant nice and handy for the station, Weinstube Raugraf.  I was introduced to it by a bunch of DB chaps several of whom lived locally and found it very pleasant with good food, ideal after a busy meeting in DB's HQ - but that was 20 years ago although it still gets very good marks on various websites.

It's still there!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but fairly chilly (for here) but no frost. Temperatures forecast to go up to 3 or 4oC today and there may be some sunny spells.

Today I have to visit the medic as a slightly worrying problem has reared its head over the last few days.

As Mary Queen of Scots may interest one or two of you can I put in a blatant plug for a book written by a close family friend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Mary-Queen-Scots/dp/0750961511

Nothing else to report so I bid you farewell for now.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

I was interested to read this morning that one of the Ferries rumoured to be earmarked for purchase by Seaborne Freight is the former "Nord Pas de Calais".  Also previously known as Class 99 number 99001 in TOPS.

It's obviously a little difficult to say anything without getting political, but after MyFerryLink collapsed, the Nord Pas de Calais was sold and has been plying its trade in the Southern Mediterranean for the past few years.  If this ship comes back to the UK, given its age - I should have thought the company are certainly going to have their work cut out getting it to conform to emissions and safety standards.

Of course, this could all be a red herring, but it's certainly interesting.

Shopping today was limited to Tesco and no passing 165 was seen, I'm told we might make Waitrose tomorrow.

Morning All,

It is a dark and cold morning in this part of the world.  I also seem to have a dose of man 'flu.

It's still there!

Have a good day everyone...

Thanks for the information, Stationmaster. Time in Mainz was limited by our arrival at 1520 on Wednesday and our departure at 09:20 (supposedly, see my previous post!) on Thursday. Our evening meal was included in the 'package' so no flexibility there and a walk around the town 'sight seeing' occupied the remaining hours. (I believe ChrisF and a few others made use of the Hotel's free local transport card and buffer kissed one of the tram lines at both ends!)

If our route take us there again, then an investigation is certainly on the cards, possibly including an ER 'gathering' with Robert, however, that may not be for some time!

• Like 18

If our route take us there again, then an investigation is certainly on the cards, possibly including an ER 'gathering' with Robert, however, that may not be for some time!

Good idea!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

If you've seen the opera, you know how it ends.

From what I remember about the lady in question, the main thing is that the dog survived.

Anyway Good moaning from a cool Charente. It's bright and sunny again and is actually a little above 0 degrees. This morning we are off to the Mairie to register to vote in local elections. Apparently it should have been done before the year end, but as Madame Le Mayor was on holiday she's going to register is today. This afternoon I'm off to Ruffec to purchase a senior railcard for Beth. The fact that this has to be done at the station may mean that the task takes some time. Then we are off round to some friends for a meal.

Meanwhile the jigsaw is progressing, most of the Harley was finished yesterday.

Glad to hear from Chris and John and Thanks for the Santa Rosa photos Ian, perhaps I'll ride it one day.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19