RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Considerable fist and mog first thing and I couldn't even see the bottom end of our road at c.07.00 and it's less than 100 yards away.  Herself however had to go one better and say that when she got up she couldn't see the bottom end of our garden. and that is somewhat less than 100 yards away.  we duly ventured out to Waitrose on faux Friday Part 1 at c.10.00 with considerable but somewhat patchy fist and mog and the usual cockwombles driving about without any lights on at all but after looking at the local branch car park we continued to the train-spotting branch there fist & mog thick, thin, and occasionally non-existent when we got on higher ground.  By the time we got out of Waitrose and back to our side of the river the mog stuff was going and we arrived at the Class 165 spotting branch of Tesco in bright sunshine and I walked around in shirtsleeve order.

Yesterday evening's meal at our local (Portuguese) Italian restaurant went well with mushroom ragu well up to usual standard and the roast duck being top notch although the oven grilled banana in Amaretto was slightly lacking in the latter compared with the way the previous pizza oven lad used to do it.

Enjoy the rest of the day one and all, and more sunshine tomorrow once the fog lifts.

• Like 17

BIN day, but also Valentines!

BIN out, Valentine card provided, and we're off to a nice dinner this evening. Our tradition (5 years now) to have dinner at the Conservatory, it's a fund raiser as well, but a great venue for a nice romantic dinner amongst the palms ;)

-6 and cloudy here and to prove that it's

i) Warming up, or

ii) Teenagers are CRAZY!!!!

One of the neighborhood teens just headed down the street to the school bus, IN SHORTS! :jester: 

Enjoy the day, if that's in your plans.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The local sparrows are making a lot of noise in the thorn bush near my front door, possibly they are nesting there as the bush is relatively cat-and-any-other-predator-proof.

Next to my garage, but over the fence, there are the remains of a cherry tree, that the previous owner employed some cowboys (of the travelling variety) to "trim". Needless to say the hacked off all the branches, and sold them all to a local wood-turner, leaving a very unsightly tall stump . The neighbours, who bought the house after she passed on, have grown a clematis up it, and the resulting Aviary is home to the msot enormous flock of sparrows, that seem to have moved in from a very large Holly tree further down the road. The racket, when they wake up in the morning, and settle down to roost in the evening, has to be heard to be believed!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've never received a Valentine card,  so situation normal,  however by supplying the necessary chocolate.. I have earnt some chocolate brownie points.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I cooked SWMBO a Prawn Stir fry, Her actually said it tasted better than hers, I don't know how to take that as she don't do compliments

I mixed up a sweet & sour with oyster sauce I thought it was tasty both plates were cleared.

Paging GDB there is a detail sander in the garage one with the little triangle Velcro pad it's ideal for sanding in the nooks and granies I thought I

had binned it long ago nothing wrong with it I have a multi-tool with that sanding attachment so let me know if you want it.

Tomorrow the daughter and SiL have a mini digger being delivered SiL is going to landscape the gardens in their new house, the old b'stard next

door wasn't happy a grass verge which he doesn't own is going to be dug up my daughter told him to" live with it" because we are changing it

"end of the matter good day" door was slammed in his face SiL was told by mini SWMBO:girldevil: don't get involved with that tw@tt he's taping our

conversations what a ####ing creep. :crazy:  

Back to the Indian Hill Rly I'm putting in a small valley for the tea bushes to be planted so far so good the other half of the track is also being laid 

and I'm hopping the polystyrene will last out still lots to do.

up an atom :superman:Ken Holm

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A more controlled day at work when I actually finished what I set out to do - makes a change!  Off tomorrow so out to the old farts bike breakfast club, as it is twirl-o-guessed to be dry.  Looking forward to a ride out, it's been several weeks without, I get withdrawal symptoms. 

Lets hope that sander has airbags.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I was very pleased when I got a detail sander.  However I am also very pleased with the what I call my universal  bodger tool from Aldi.  Very handy when decorating for removing various lumps and bumps. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, 81C said:

Tomorrow the daughter and SiL have a mini digger being delivered SiL is going to landscape the gardens in their new house, the old b'stard next

door wasn't happy a grass verge which he doesn't own is going to be dug up my daughter told him to" live with it" because we are changing it

Oooo! A turf war.

Edited by AndyID
cos i felt like it
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Picked up the latest Railway Modeller today, only perused a small bit of it but it seems a bit thicker than usual. I thought about doing some more in the shed but when I stepped inside it it was bl**dy freezing. Not surprising really as this time of year it gets very little if any sun.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Valent... what day? What's that?
I saw mention of it yesterday, and was genuinely wondering to myself why people were mentioning it. I've never had a reason for it to be a special day so it always catches me unawares!
And no, I'm not looking for any awws or such, I really would rather remain on my own for as long as possible :D

Anyway, in other news, my day was derailed today when I was suddenly faced with the realisation that almost every single signal box as we know it will be lost. I know losing signal boxes is nothing new (especially after a certain Mr Beeching), but the bullish way that it's currently being done is disconcerting at best. I don't tend to see myself as sentimental, but I do think we should protect our history. Demolishing beautiful cabins from 1889 overnight seems like a total waste. Anyway, there's a topic in "Prototype Discussions" if you're interested; I won't waffle on here. But I will say that having tried (and failed) to secure a building for the community in the past, it's actually not all that surprising.

As I said, this realisation has meant that other than going food shopping, I've not got anywhere with anything today. Tomorrow, my dad and I are hoping to make a start on repairing our front fence; we live in an area where cattle/horses/donkeys are free to roam the streets, and next door LOVE to leave their gate open; meaning the horses have broken our dividing fence... (oh, and they had the guts to moan at us that our fence was broken)

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

After the bookcase incident yesterday I was looking forward to a non-eventful day today. Until, that is, I went to the dentist for what I naively expected to be a quick filling repair that turned out to be the first of four visits that will involve root canal treatment, an insert of some sort and a full crown that will soak up much time, probably discomfort and lots of modelling vouchers. B*gger! Had a pleasant lunch out that partially made up for that but now SWMBO seems to be going down with the lurgy of some sort so I may be adding nursing duties to tomorrow's routine.

As the old Chinese curse goes, "May you live in interesting times."

Despite the diet I think that a small libation of Scottish falling down water is in order tonight.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Valentines day, or to give it its correct title, Lupercalia. As with most festivals and saints days it originated as a (Roman) pagan festival. As with many pagan festivals it was involved with fertility, all the names of the unmarried young women were placed in a jar and were then picked out by the eligible bachelors and then the paired couples went off together. The early church was somewhat dismayed by all the goings on so created St. Valentines day.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Trip to South Coast dealer negotiated.

A quick meet with John DMJ was included.

Set off back home at about 3.30 pm with a 6 hr drive north...... Duly completed with a driver swap and quick bite to eat. 

First time I've driven a car with distance following radar. Took a bit of getting used to when a cockwomble pulled in front quickly after overtaking on the motorway........ 

Also when slowly catching a car and anticipating the gap in the outer lane to pull into to overtake.

Although I left a SV card :wub:  in a suitable place before I left yesterday, all brownie points were quickly wiped out as I'd accidentally picked up Mrs NBs laptop instead of mine when I set off yesterday....... :unsure:

Time for a nightcap.

Have a good Friday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Good to see you Mick on 'home territory'. Hope the trip was satisfactory.

• Like 15