Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Might one enquire as to  the organisers of said charter tour?

John,

Organisers of the charter tour were UK Railtours. 

This was the third tour I've booked with them and plan on doing more tours with them (next one is to Crewe Open Day in June) now that I've decided that my days of longer holidays are over and can be replaced interesting day trips with somebody else doing the driving. I'm hoping they redo the tour they did to Crich a year or so ago.

Keith

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Breakfast enjoyed and then we had to make a flying visit to the Bury of Sains.

Back home and shed now empty and all ready for tomorrow.

Time for some lunch and then the joys of either watching Rugby or F1 highlights.  with Exeter taking on Wasps.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Time for some lunch and then the joys of either watching Rugby or F1 highlights.  with Exeter taking on Wasps.

That'd be interesting in F1 :jester:

Even I might be tempted to watch the highlights!

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just signed up for the newsletter from UK Railtours, thanks for the heads up Tetsudofan. Spent all of 15 modelling tokens at Rayleigh, half going on a Shire scenes etched Brute trolley kit and a plastic kit of a small boat in 1/72 scale. Both half built which is just as well as the instructions for the boat kit are in the Cyrillic alphabet. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

I've loosely laid about 60 blocks, on top of which is about 2/3 of the inner floor base.  About 60 blocks to go,  1/3 of the base,  and the outer ring of galvanised steel. The outer ring is part of the shed proper. 

So next week after laying the rest of the blocks and frame,  I'll pick the lowest, level it and then work from there levelling the rest. Then insert a damp proof membrane  before screwing down the frame. 

The frame work done so far has however allowed me to measure up the ply flooring which requires 24 pieces to fit between the frames.  A cutting list will be made up shortly once I've worked out the best fit into sheets of plywood. 

After that it was off to the crane meeting, which went well except, we had to hold it outside as the club was heaving... I got very chilled. It was noticeable that all the sailors were very well wrapped up as they started the first afternoon race. 

Time too start the cutting list... 

• Like 16

Afternoon awl, from Deepest West Sussex

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just signed up for the newsletter from UK Railtours, thanks for the heads up Tetsudofan.

Ditto!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  Being a computer ignoramus, it has taken me 24 hours to find the alternative door.  What is it with this new upgrade...... it was just looking like things were beginning to run a bit quicker (still hate the format though) and then we can only get in by the back door despite trying three browsers.  Not good really.

In other news....um....what news?

JohnDMJ's train journey fills me with dread, I couldn't cope with that hassle now.

Poo test 3 days completed thank crunchie.  Still not good with things like that, :bo_mini: I'd never make a nurse!  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

That'd be interesting in F1 :jester:

Even I might be tempted to watch the highlights!

Sadly there was little in the 1000th race to attract or retain new interest to F1. I say that as a keen supporter of motorsport who has watched most races from before the 500th. If I am expected to pay a lot more for the privilege of viewing such, I shall forego it (probably that will speed up my modelling).

This week's Gallagher Premiership Rugby has thrown up some good challenges and some fine results. I watched the Gloucester v Bath match yesterday but it does seem that only Exeter (today's result notwithstanding) and Saracens are likely to challenge Kiwi teams were any such competition to be organised.

In golf, I applaud the committee of the Augusta Masters for bringing the start forward, playing 3-balls and starting from the 1st & 10th tees simultaneously (although the matches took an awful long time to go round) to beat the weather; Ian Poulter for achieving his invite to next year's tournament; Francesco Molinari for playing well and showing how human he is and of course Todger Tiger Woods for his amazing resilience in the face of so much to come back and win his 15th Major. If only I could hit the ball as straight or almost as far!

The coming week hopefully will see the 20-y-o motorcycle through its roadworthiness test then daughter & son-in-law's wooden gates stripped and oiled and the regularly failing lights in their kitchen replaced with a more temperature stable arrangement whilst they and grandchildren are off skiing. Hopefully those tasks will then allow some work on Kingzance of course!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Johns comments in his blog about socks reminded me that I had recently received an e-mail from the LT museum shop with their latest offerings. One of the offerings was socks replicating some of the LT seat moquettes, and at similar prices, thanks but no thanks.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Back from Derby via No. 1 son's place in Chesterfield but now there's a warning light on the car's dashboard that the manual states to be something about the catalytic converter so it'll have to go and see the nice man at the garage tomorrow. There's allus bl**dy summat as the French say.

I also plan on getting the plywood for my ba***oards ordered.

Until then, nighty-night all. Sleep tight.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I still can't get onto this site from my ipad, getting on any other site using it isn't a problem, it seems to be just this site and I'm still the same error message 'error 502 bad gateway' with a note in the search bar stating that the site is not secure! I've even tried using Google and typing RMWeb in the search bar, but that made no difference.

Anyway, back to today, more progress has been made on the L class, to the extent that I've even given the loco a run under power. Up until now, I've had the motor off and been carrying out all test using just the rolling chassis, as I find it easier to fault find that way. Once I was happy with it, I made a start on fabricating the front frame extensions, I'd done the rear ones a few weeks ago. However, halfway through the first one, teatime crept up on me, so I packed up and came in for a muggertea, before making a start on tea.

Tonight, by way of a celebration, I made myself a tequila sunrise, it really hit the spot.

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

Evening all, a rather grey and miserable day weather wise with 8 degrees as a high with the odd glimpse of the sun, we are experiencing a drought with more cloud stacked up than I can ever remember seeing without a drop of the wet stuff, garden is like a dessert, all be it a cold one. Went over the Cairn O'Mount into deepest darkest Aberdeenshire and saw the little ex industrial steam loco hauling a train along the side of the road at Crathes, they seem to be building another station platform, so maybe they will extend the very short track into Banchory one day(this is the old Aberdeen to Ballater line that the royals used to travel to Balmoral on). A wander round the shopping centre that used to sell plants and things for the garden once upon a time and a muggercoffee and a cheese scone, then back via Stonehaven where the chip shop that claims to have invented the deep fried Mars Bar(why would anyone be proud of that?) is situated and home via Montrose. I am looking for suitable photo spots for the expected A4 600009 when it hauls the Aberdeen part of the Round Great Britain tour on the 1st of May. Sleep tight all

• Like 16

Would

29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Back from Derby via No. 1 son's place in Chesterfield but now there's a warning light on the car's dashboard that the manual states to be something about the catalytic converter so it'll have to go and see the nice man at the garage tomorrow. There's allus bl**dy summat as the French say.

I also plan on getting the plywood for my ba***oards ordered.

Until then, nighty-night all. Sleep tight.

Dave

Wouldn't the French be more likely to say "ah putain!" or "encule"? :D

Edited by lightengine
Errata
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone

I still can't get onto this site from my ipad, getting on any other site using it isn't a problem, it seems to be just this site and I'm still the same error message 'error 502 bad gateway' with a note in the search bar stating that the site is not secure! I've even tried using Google and typing RMWeb in the search bar, but that made no difference.

Could it be something to do with your anti-virus software? I use an iPad to get onto this site (as I am now) via Google and all I have to do is type 'RMW' into the search bar and it immediately offers me RM Web. A tap on that and I'm in - admittedly it can be a bit slow at times but otherwise it's OK.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Could it be something to do with your anti-virus software? I use an iPad to get onto this site (as I am now) via Google and all I have to do is type 'RMW' into the search bar and it immediately offers me RM Web. A tap on that and I'm in - admittedly it can be a bit slow at times but otherwise it's OK.

Dave

I’ve finally managed it. I deleted my original bookmark and then typed in rmweb, then hey presto I’m in!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had that on our motorhome. The first garage didn't have a spot for us, but they ran diagnostics and it was the downstream sensor -- the one after the conveter. They told us we could probably survive for a couple of days so we went to our next main stop and sat for a couple of weeks. At the end we had it fixed (included an overnight at the garage!)  Apparently the wires for the sensor had been lying on top of the exhaust system and the insulation had finally melted through.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

Had a vey good weekend with the layout at the Crawley MRS show in Horsham. The Farish Castle arrived via the post on Saturday and I renamend it to ' Nunney Castle' Sunday morning so it was in action at the show. This was the only steam loco I have seen in the flash (to date) passing through Banbury, back in 2010.

Sold quite a lot of stock at their 2nd hand club stand, way more than I expected.

Saturday evening in Horsham as my other half met us there after taking the car back home in the morning. Good beer had bur then it was a Great White Worm on rock hard seats - they feel even harder having not been on one for some weeks - my other half also suffers from 'Numb Bumb' on them. back on one this morning then wont see them for a week as we head to Dundee and Aberdeen today. Easter Sunday we will be meeting up with various friends who are at the York show in various good hostelries in York

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is a rather pleasant Spring morning today.  A little on the chilly side, and somewhat hazy but there is a definite smell of Spring in the air.

I too had a little trouble getting on this morning due to the Bad Gateway message.  However, I discovered a message from Andy on Twitter, and came in through the "back door" so to speak.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

21 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Evening all from a warm PD. Morning an afternoon as apprpriate to all and sundry. Fabulous day on the reef and you will all be pleased to know that I won't subject you to a photo of me in a lycra suit. Rough trip 90 minutes both ways but we obviously have gained our sea legs after all the winter channel crossings we've done. The trip was well worth it but spoilt by one group chatting at high volume in their own language throughout all announcements. One lady didn't draw breath for at least 30 minutes despite both of her companions being fast asleep. An expedition to an eatery is planned in an hour. Tomorrow we entrust ourselves to Quanas again and a Boeing 717 to take us to Brisbane for 3 nights. The main attraction there is a washi g machine in the apartment.

If you see any cassowaries, give them a wide berth

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-attacked-fall-worlds-deadliest-bird-deadly-four-inch-claws-095903780.html

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5