The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Grandad duties suitably completed and many tales recounted of the daughters family's trip to everything Disney and Universal studioish , kids found a baby Alligator on the lake in their complex, luckily no one found the parents, or more to the point the parents didn't find them. 9 hours in a plane does not appeal to me at all, how folk do the trip down under is beyond me, I'll stick to blighty from now on I think, had enough of foreign parts, 2 hours on a ferry to the Outer Hebrides is enough.

G'night all.

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been a lovely sunny day here in the northwest and it warmed up to over 15C by mid afternoon. 

Well, one way or another, it’s been quite a productive day here. I made the carrot cake this morning and added the topping and decoration after dinner. I also found the time to do some stewed rhubarb, which we’d been given recently. That is currently in the fridge and will be eaten after tea tomorrow. 

Earlier this afternoon we had Ava, Evie and Max round for tea, which tonight was pasta and meatballs. This was followed by the carrot cake and as I only made a small cellar cake, enough for 6 decent slices, needless to say it all went, but then, I’d be disappointed if it didn’t. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

As to a certain magazine that's been mentioned  there's no need for such things with all these long limbed young Aussie girls in short shorts. I keep getting looks like daggers when the waitresses pass our table in restaurants.

Jamie

I keep telling Sheila, not worry if I’m just looking in the shop window.

But it would be a different story if I was go in and buy something!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

2 hours on a ferry to the Outer Hebrides is enough.

Sing me a Hebridean song, Daddy.

One about forty verse long, Daddy.

I can't remember too many of the lines but the one that always cracks me up is;

"Sing of the white things bleaching on the sand there,"

• Like 12

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The area is getting a new railway in the form of an underground that runs frim IiRC fortitude valley via Roma st and the CBD then under the river by the Goodwill bridge to The Gabba.

It's not nearly as complex as the 3D puzzle that is the LT tube, but with river clearances, the Clem Jones highway tunnel and the Boggo Road busway the 3D landscape around the 'Gabba is starting to get complicated.

All those locations were well served (in 1940s / 1950s traffic volume) by the trams. It was an easy ride from the Valley to Queen Street to Stanley Street to the 'Gabba. After a disastrous fire at the Paddington depot in 1962 and US highway consultants recommending freeways everywhere (including through the gardens, which fortunately did not get built) the trams were removed in 1969 - the same year that steam ended on the southside. My dad, who grew up in the 'Gabba was a big fan of the trams.

Everything old is new again - except for the steam locomotives.

My favourite 'Gabba trivia is that the Post Office spelled the district with two "L"s as "Woolloongabba". Queensland Railways used only one "L".

The Goodwill Bridge would certainly have shortened my commute to what was then the Queensland Institute of Technology on Gardens Point.  Back then, almost 40 years ago, I would walk from South Brisbane station over the Victoria Bridge. Sometimes I would walk through the CBD from Central. At that time South Bank station was still called Vulture Street. Gloucester Street station (between Park Road and Vulture Street) was still in operation. It mostly served high school students from Somerville House and St. Laurence's.

Brisbane is in many ways transformed since those days, but the goat track street layout (outside the CBD) remains.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Journey yesterday went ok. 4 police traffic cars plus an unmarked police car had stopped a car on the A64 causing a bit of delay.

Cracking the flaggs in Robin Hoods Bay yesterday..hope it is the same today!

Woken early by her indoors who decided she needed a drink. She is now asleep..I am fully awake. Pah!

Have as good a day as you can, positive thoughts to all who ail or are "missing"

Baz

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Whilst keeping your eyes watching the road ahead, of course. (Deliberately avoided phrases like 'eyes glued on the road', 'eyes fixed to the road', etc. Know you lot!

I had to, some of them were wandering down the middle of the single track road...

Nothing yet in the local papers about it though..

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

A reasonable nights sleep of about 6.5 hours..

The afore mentioned coppers didn't continue down to our house with their enquires, though our neighbour who came round later, reports they stopped the vicar on the way to the church to ask who he was...

Mild this morning and very light by the time I drove out of the gate the great fried egg was glowing orange above the horizon, and was fully bright in my rear view mirrow for most of the way in. The pink flowered trees have joined their white cousins in full showiness making the trip in quite pleasant.

When Handling glassfibre insulation I also wear a proper white disposible suit, as the glass "dust" gets everywhere..

I'm unexpectidly working on a major system because someone (not me) didn't do their bit properly last time. I't might be finished today, but unlikely..

Time to go and get started..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

2 hours on a ferry to the Outer Hebrides is enough.

G'night all.

Uig - Lochmaddy? mind you I have been on a ferry that took 5 hours for that trip due to the storm we were going through..

Lochboisidale>Barra > Oban is a much more interesting ferry trip... only about 9 hours... Last time I did it a Nimrod flew past lower than the height of the deck we were on..

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Uig - Lochmaddy? mind you I have been on a ferry that took 5 hours for that trip due to the storm we were going through..

Lochboisidale>Barra > Oban is a much more interesting ferry trip... only about 9 hours... Last time I did it a Nimrod flew past lower than the height of the deck we were on..

I had a very interesting journey from Stornaway to Mallaig on the old Loch Seaforth in a force 8,leaving at midnight. I was able to bri ng comfort to a lonely young lady.....

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
Typos
  • Like 9
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning one and all. I'm glad that the lurgy is finally fading for Chris, NHN and others as it did a while back for me. It looks like the timescale is about the same for everyone (seemingly forever at times) - been a b****r of a bug hasn't it?

This morning marks the last chance I'll get to do anything in the workshop for some time as this afternoon the first wave of invaders family arrive and for the next two weeks we'll be infested blessed with the grandkids while the teaching profession takes one of its chances to indulge in some R&R before the long haul towards summer.

Have a good day and if you can't, my thoughts and prayers go with you.

Dave

PS - Jamie, I will be at Doncaster after all so see you there.

Edited by Dave Hunt
Adding PS
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A dull start to the day here but it should be  dry, bright and warm with some lengthy spells of sunshine.

Today I have been asked to assist with various domestic duties. This is because tomorrow we have a house full to celebrate son Steve's birthday (which was actually yesterday). The Boss has been busy all week planning the food because along with the "ordinary" people we're catering for one vegetarian, 1 vegan, 1 person with IBS, one who requires gluten free and one who has a dairy allergy. "Never in the field of human consumption will so many differing meals be catered for by so few The Boss."  Luckily nuts are allowed so I'll be there! 

After that I may venture to the interior exterior and survey the barren desert that is our garden with a view to deciding what to do with it after Shedgate.

Have a good one,

L. van der Post.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Up with the lark today my hearing is slowly returning and I feel like it's a day of sorting the layout's dirty track, half of it has had a heavy clean just the other 30 yards to do.

Her beat me to the telly controls this morning, having to grin and bear her constant clicking of buttons I retreated to the cave.

GDB why don't you pave the garden that way you can use it all year round without walk mud through the house it's Ideal for BBQ's best thing we ever done with the added 

bonus of no grass to cut Her has even got rid of the big planters I made some years back less is more as they say.

enjoy your day must get on :superman: Rai L'trac  :bye_mini:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a rather misty Herts where I am two sides down and two to go of the Great British Gate-off. In the light of earlier comments regarding the Allo, Allo masterpiece, I recall that before Salisbury got its unfortunate publicity from the Novichok Incident, an auction house offered for sale one of the Van Klomps. It was sold for the equivalent of €40k to a buyer (and you couldn’t make this up) who claimed to live near Neuvy, in the Marne region of France.

May the sun shine on all your endeavours and, as Baz Lurman and Cheryl Crow both exhorted us, don’t forget your sunscreen! At least for those whose houses are to be hotels over the next few days, it’s going to be nice weather for camping.

• Like 17