RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That's a blast from the past,  I used to like F+S, did I mention the new ceiling in the old lab has been authorised.. The one the air conditioning man fell through..... 

Just back very soggyily from the MRC.. 

During the day I watched the Met office weather radar  as it shewed a, line of rain go over Norwich and out to the coast...did we get any.. Not a drop.

However the second wave arrived around 19:00, and it's persisting down heavily.  It may run into tomorrow morning. 

Finally some real progress on the pelmets on the carriages,  one is complete except for sanding filling painting and the fitting of lights,  the other at the club, just needs some Corner reinforcement before the above.. ,

Just caught a drama SWMBO is watching supposedly at  Bletchley park, the house is not square nor is it at the top of a steep hill... 

Time to drink my choccy., 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Keeping Portland Weird

Portlanders are jealous that Austin, Texas came up with "Keep Austin Weird" before Portland started using "Keep Portland Weird".

You just missed the naked bike ride. It was held on June 29. 

The Oregon Brewers' Festival is next weekend (July 24 - 27).  I'm glad I checked the dates. I was planning to be there on Sunday and the festival is not happening on Sunday this year so I will need to think up a plan B.

It looks like the beer list is really heavy on the gose/sour and fruit beers this year. Festival organizers have reformatted the event to only inviting Oregon brewers and increasing ciders, which debuted at OBF last year. (I look forward every year to what New Holland, from Michigan, brings. I will miss them being there.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations and commiserations as required.  Well folks what is life without computer for days and then when you get access find that there is no internet and therefore also no television. 

The numbeer of pagez in a fu daze is ginormouse so apologees if my scimmin has mist some veye-tal , important, entertainin ore distressin feetures.  Eye promis 2 reed the nects fu daze if I hav akces 2 a computa.

Positives -GD likes the N-gauge recently built for her in a wooden gun-case … the idea just pick up the case and you have everything, track, controller, stock and cars, the last two  in a divided box permanently fixed to the lid of the gun-case that appropriately supports the lid level when open  It is however quite heavy.

Popped round to see Andy P's latest a few days ago.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

After an excellent Italian meal ( accompanied by a bottle of very nice Sardinian wine)  I need some sleep.

Three different weather forecasters with 3 different forecast means tomorrow may see..no play, the cricket hokey cockey, or, full 100 overs match. Pah!

Goodnight  All!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well today’s shopping trip to the Trafford Centre wasn’t very forth coming. I was looking for a replacement data lead for my digital camera but was unable to pick one up, in the end I ordered one from the company of strong ladies. On the way home I called at the butchers and as I was pulling up to park a car almost reversed into me until she suddenly looked up and saw me there! Then to make matters worse, there were no pasties, pies or even sausage rolls left :mad:, the lady who almost reversed into me bought all that was left :mad:. So I had to settle for a ham sandwich for dinner. 

After dinner both sheila and I did some reading followed by a spot of eyelid inspection. I suspect the activities of the last couple of days has caught us up. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

18 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

the lady who almost reversed into me bought all that was left

Did you at least have the opportunity to wag your finger at her? (Or was a different finger gesture the instinctive one?)

I say this having had the opportunity to stare down a woman who launched her vehicle into a pedestrian crossing in front of me as I was crossing the road under a "walk" aspect on the traffic signal. Her reaction, on realizing her neglectfulness as I good-naturedly shook my head and wagged my finger at her, was priceless. It was clear that she would be more careful next time. (Not being damaged by her recklessness, I had the opportunity to be smiling at the time.)

As distressing as the lack of pies, pasties and sausage rolls might be, I'm surprised that your enthusiasm for baking has not extended itself to the world of savoury pastries. Perhaps this is the sort of gentle nudge you need to free yourself from a dependency on the butcher (who also appears to be a baker)? (One would not be surprised to find tallow candles in his repertoire as well.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As distressing as the lack of pies, pasties and sausage rolls might be,

There's a distinct lack of anything like that around here. We used to be able to get Scottish pies in Kearny NJ (a lot of mill workers from Scotland had emigrated there) but despite the fact that everyone here claims to have at least one Scottish ancestor they've failed to catch on in North Idaho.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

There's a distinct lack of anything like that around here.

Portland does have an expat, Australian pie maker - Pacific Pie Co in Southeast Portland.

I do like their sausage rolls. Sadly I find their meat pie fillings to be too dry - or at least drier than I prefer, and like many pie shops, pie fillings are hit or miss as to what is available when you walk in.

To appeal to the locals their standard menu is not that of a "standard" Aussie pie shop menu where you would routinely find steak, steak and bacon, steak and onions, steak and kidney, etc. A curried samosa pastie is really just a samosa with pie/pastie crust.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

5 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Glad to not be missing the trains

Any visible progress on the turntable project at the ORHC? (I recognize your photo location.)

Is that the Daylight Observation car hiding on the siding?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Any visible progress on the turntable project at the ORHC? (I recognize your photo location.)

Is that the Daylight Observation car hiding on the siding?

Only yellow marker paint on the ballast for the turntable

20190719_153140.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good morning one and al

l

I hate having to depend on technology and not getting the service for which I pay through the nose, and read Rick's words with much interest.  Yesterday I managed to get a document out at last, right up against the deadline, and can only hope it reached those for whom it was intended.  An e-mail from BT got through overnight, telling me that my "new kit" - a router, not a baby beaver - will be with me on Monday.  So will an engineer.  In theory, then, I will be able to communicate with the outside world using both the electric wires of broadband and Mr Bell's telephone.  Optimism?  That’s not like you, Chris.  What has annoyed me during this saga is the succession of blithe assumptions by BT that the problem has been fixed when it quite clearly has not.  There is no substitute for going to see for yourself and the sooner they learn that the better.

My broadband went down twice while I was typing this.  I refuse to be beaten by electrickery and its evil friends.  The good thing about computers and their kin is that when they will not do as they are told you have to use your brain to outwit them.  Composition has therefore continued elsewhere.  The minor matter of getting the e-mail on my mobile to work will have to wait.  It was after all long enough before I noticed that it was kaput so a few more days won’t hurt.  Meanwhile there is much else to be done – ironing and gardening being just two – and yesterday I finally got round to putting in claims for PPI refunds.  I don’t think I was daft enough to fall for it way back when but nothing venture and all that.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  Inner Temple Hare, 

not too bad a nights sleep so far,  I may try for more. 

Ben the Border Collie  demanded his patrol,  it had just stopped raining,  but there are lots of black clouds still around.

Bramble clearing today weather permitting, 

A BLT has been consumed,  Muggacoffee to follow,  

Ben has just Bulleid SWMBO to get up... 

Time have that coffee.. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Wet patches on roads and pavements coupled with threatening skies does not bode well for cricket today.

Enjoy your day!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It was raining heavily into the small hours . So heavily in fact that it kept the security light on the shed on all the time so at about 1.00am I turned it off. I'll have to adjust the sensitivity. Still dull and dismal and more rain promised here at Aching Knee.

Some domestic stuff to do first and then the day is mine own.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

During the day I watched the Met office weather radar  as it shewed a, line of rain go over Norwich and out to the coast...did we get any.. Not a drop.

At last, someone else who uses the Old English spelling!

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

The healthcare clinic called to set up an MRI for my dodgy knee. The nice lady apologized because it was a bit "far out". I thought she was going to say something like September but it turned out to be the first of August. Mind you it might take a while before I can see the tree knee surgeon.

I had a dodgy knee. The medics wanted to put an endoscope in to find the problem. I also had a shoulder problem for which I was recommended to a chiropractor. He took two X-Rays; one front to back, t'other left to right. The F-B indicated why I had a shoulder problem as the spine took a sudden change of direction about two thirds up. Looking at the L-R, he asked me if I had knee problems. My lower spine is not shaped as the classic 'S' but is flat at its lower end thus giving me knee trouble. I declined the endoscope investigation.

In short, modern medicine can be too focused rather than holistic.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Would love to do the beer fest but just didn't tie up with our plans. Yes many brewers are doing sour beers at the moment. I am ok with most but my other half isn't.

I think I am OK missing the naked bike ride.

Glad to not be missing the trains

20190719_153229.jpg

I think we need a Jealous icon Ian.    I've just checked my UP roster.   I saw that lead unit at Roseville on 9th January 2010.

Anyway good morning (Or whatever it is wherever you are) to all and sundry.   We hand Lunder and thightning in the night but no real rain.  The local producers of liquid harvest are not happy at the lack of precipitation.   

A good day was had yesterday, a good lunch and then an afternoon watching steamy things running round a newly laid piece of trackage in good company. In the evening Beth and I went for a walk round the village that resulted in the consumption of a glass of Ricard and 3 glasses of wine at various houses. On our return, Paul, rang and we had a good long conversation with him.  Things are looking up.

The morning is now a mixture of cloud and sun but the temp is climbing into the 20's.   Two jobs are on the list, one is to collet a trailer full of bark chippings from a friends outhouse and the other is to fit a new receiver head to the satellite dish.  The latter task will allow us to have a TV working in the pare bedroom.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Having spent part of this morning looking at various weather forecast, like others have reported, I find wild variations particularly between the once reliable Beeb and the Met office. 

I can understand how market forces work with Supermarkets, broadband * etc. but it seems like they have  started to apply this theory to weather forecasting. Our forecast is nicer, please use us.

* sorry, Chris.

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It is raining here. My niece is having a bouncy castle arrive soon (she lives near Kettering) as part of her birthday celebrations. It isn’t raining there at the moment. The level of excitement was noticeable even over a phone call. As ever though Aditi’s brother seemed totally relaxed about everything. 

We are going over to Enfield later this morning, the plan is to arrive at lunchtime. Assuming none of the roadworks are flooded that shouldn’t be too difficult. 

Tony

• Like 16