RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus is in full swing, the one that requires lubrication was sqealing more than ever. I noticed that the car ABS warning light was on, it appears to have been on since the car was serviced and mot'd but is so dim its almost invisible in the sunlight, so I'll take it in later to see why, probably a loose wire. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

I’ve been learning how to answer my mobile phone.  It is one of those things that everyone assumes you know and no-one tells you unless you ask.  The other day I asked, in the phone shop, and felt such a fool.  I even searched the interweb for a video tutorial.  My simple brain thinks that when you see a round logo with a green handset on it you press it.  

Totally agree, why is it that everyone assumes that you know … I have a Doro that I can use for calls and emails - not even photographs and definitely not apps.  The other problem is when you do not have internet access and there is no telephone number to fall back on … give me paper every time bit not 12 pages for a simple bit of information.

Also filled-in a gov thing for EV charging points policy etc. but there were nearly 50 pages and yet at no stage was there any thought that if all cars were electric then we need a more stable 24/7 suitable and sufficient power supply that for me means nuclear.

Rant over.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

Morning from the Sunny Midlands!

Disappointed it was mostly sheet lightning the other night.  Have bought a Huawei  P30 Pro so was keen to test out the camera but only caught a small tiny bit of forking.

I'm also afraid I've become boring.

The Ice Cream van came down our road, as it does frequently but the jingle was so loud... it's REALLY loud!  I have wondered if I should/can report it.  But come on... that's an old man thing to do.  But it is super loud, even the wife thinks so.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It continues to be hot here in the valley (or rather up one side of it) and the forecast for today is that it will hit 35 celsius degrees, which is 95 in real money.  However his ladship is today heading from Tangier via Tarifa to Cordoba and central Spain is forecast to hit 39 although it will no doubt come with a lot less humidity which is around the 40-50% mark here during the day rising to 80% at night.   No aircon here of course but I'm forever glad that when we built the house we put ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and the kitchen and we have a reasonable stock of portable fans - like the one currently wafting the air behind my chair.

So overall no plans for the day and no venturing into the garden before evening.  Yellow thunderstorms are promised but those showing on the forecast radar an hour or so ago now seem to have been promised to someone else.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It is now 32IS  (Irritability Scale) Red warning flags are being flown around GDB Towers and the message to everybody in the road (particularly builders and foreign students) is don't F##k with GDB today.

<Message ends>

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Currently 29C outside, I’m just enjoying muggertea No2 and will some filler sets on one of the workshop walls. Thankfully the area I’m working in is in the shade of a large sycamore tree, so it doesn’t feel as hot. Once the filler has set and been sanded, I’m hoping to give it all a touch of paint. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I noticed on Twitter that LNWR issued straw hats to all their staff in a 1901 heatwave. I hope Rick gets some suitable headwear for his station from his company.

I went the barbers and the pharmacy today. Both establishments had air con working. 

I will finish the painting today.

Aditi asked me to assure all the people who sent kind thoughts about her injury that she is fine and isn’t in any pain. She attends the fracture clinic tomorrow. 

Tony 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

The white ventilated box out on Norwich Airport says it's now 33C out there.

Though the temperature in here has dropped, the failing AC is now in the shade instead of having the sun bearing down on It. I was measuring some current shunts earlier as the temperature in here went up to 26C. But I've run out of anything that's safe to measure in these temps. So in a minute or two I'll start setting up the spreadsheets for next weeks work,,

At least I remembered to leave the car windows open, though I might still have to put my gloves on to grip the hot steering wheel like yesterday..

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

… I have a Doro

MiL wanted a phone she could receive photos on. We got her the Doro smartphone at Christmas and she is very happy. Apart from one tiny problem when she thought she was making WhatsApp voice calls to Delhi and California when they were normal phone calls all has been well. One good feature is that it works with her hearing aids so less confusing calls.   

Edited by Tony_S
Too many words...
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

At least I remembered to leave the car windows open, though I might still have to put my gloves on to grip the hot steering wheel like yesterday..

You will be pleased to know that Land Rover learn from previous versions,of their vehicles and now fit athermic windscreens. The downside of this is my photochromic spectacles don’t darken. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I noticed that they were installing underground irrigation plumbing. Our rules do not allow irrigation to be connected to the potable water system so I asked them where the water was coming from. I was hoping they would tell me it's coming from the lake but after a long delay I finally got an answer last night.

The idiots connected it to the potable water system.

I assume they installed the customary back flow valves. This will protect the potable water from ground contamination - it is standard practice in the suburbs to do this. There is a mandatory inspection every spring to make sure the back flow valves are in good working order.

Irrespective of back-flow valves, your well supply would be overstretched if everyone wanted to irrigate. Even with my drip feed irrigation on alternating days, my water consumption increases dramatically when I turn the irrigation on. I wanted to include a large rainfall collection system when I had my house built. From the confusion in discussing it with the builder it was evident they had never done this before and I opted not to be a guinea pig with anything hydraulic near my foundations.

While that was a sensible decision (I think) it still galls a bit to waste all the rooftop rainwater for half the year and then use good potable water in the garden for the other half.

• Friendly/supportive 17

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I assume they installed the customary back flow valves. This will protect the potable water from ground contamination - it is standard practice in the suburbs to do this. There is a mandatory inspection every spring to make sure the back flow valves are in good working order.

Irrespective of back-flow valves, your well supply would be overstretched if everyone wanted to irrigate. Even with my drip feed irrigation on alternating days, my water consumption increases dramatically when I turn the irrigation on. I wanted to include a large rainfall collection system when I had my house built. From the confusion in discussing it with the builder it was evident they had never done this before and I opted not to be a guinea pig with anything hydraulic near my foundations.

While that was a sensible decision (I think) it still galls a bit to waste all the rooftop rainwater for half the year and then use good potable water in the garden for the other half.

I'm hoping I can persuade them to use lake water. I understand the previous owner did.

Even with anti-siphon valves I would not be happy about it. The irrigation lines are adjacent to or possibly on the septic drain field and the water is not chlorinated. I'd rather not be held liable if someone comes down with typhoid.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13