The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The France Verses England rugby game has been called off... Aldershot get your first aid kits ready...

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Hare.

4 hours plus some poor dozing, not so good a night sleep. 

Then after breakfast it was take Ben the "It's not quite as dark, I'll go down the garden" Collie on patrol, with me wearing the already deployed woolly hat as it was quite a breezy cold wind.

The roads were busy on  the way in, which suggests the A47 Acle straight is blocked by an accident again. There was a wide load for me to avoid, a mobile home  on it's way to a caravan site somewhere And a tractor... Not unusual, but when I flashed him he for being on full beam , he flashed his roof lights.... during which his headlights dropped to low beam... me thinks he's got his lights wrongly wired..

I'm having trouble measuring the very high resistance boxes, over the normal 3 days of measurements the value of the 10G ohm dropped by about 2000ppm since we have an uncertainty of under 200ppm this not good at all.. so I spent some time cleaning all the connectors and the started remeasuring. Some values dropped again, but we'll see what they do today. 

The Major system has progressed slowly I should finish the first run today, but with 2700 lines of tests there  is normally one or two that fail due to some glitch, so I may have to rerun som sections..

Time to go and get started..

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Tony S recommended a Miele to us - good recommendation - 

I can deffo vouch for Miele vacuum cleaners as we've been using one for years, which has never failed us. :yes:

Mawnin' awl. Good to see you around, Debs, or should I say, Miss Mancunian Candidate? :mosking:

Back to wet and occasionally rainy this morning. Changing weather isn't something I seem to tolerate well as I've had headaches on and off yesterday.

Current state of things re the investigation into the Halle shootings is that the gunman was, in fact, acting alone. It would also appear that he is a known neo-Nazi who streamed a video recording of his assault, not much unlike the Christchurch shooter earlier this year. Furthermore, a manifesto revealing a far-right and anti-Semitic mindset has been found on the internet which can apparently been attributed to the gunman.

The shooter, who was injured during the assault and who had hijacked a taxi from a repair shop, was eventually captured within a highway engineering site where the police sprung a trap on him.

I certainly wish we were, in fact, not living in times as, how shall I put this, "interesting" as these...

Now for some cocoa - trying to cut back on coffee...

:bye_mini:

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Talking of driving down roads you shouldn't  many years ago I was with a friend in Northampton looking for a cash machine one Sunday.my friend who doesn't drive told me to take a certain street as he could see a bank. The street one with limited access as pedestrian's only most of the time but he insisted it was OK so I turned  just as a police woman appeared. I just stopped and asked her if she knewwhere a cash machine was with threw her off stopping me and only passed a quick comment about the road access. It worked ad she thought we had turned to ask her !!

Same friend once told me to turn right along the North Wales Road. I told him that I couldn't but he kept insisting till I told him it was the sea.

This morning's quick visit to the shed to box up 34081 as it's now completed. So is the L & B coach for now but will require weathering once the new layout is built. 

Today we head North on our way to the Furness show at the weekend 

20191010_072156-picsay.jpg

1570689365633-207209846.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say..our latest Dyson failee the other week. Eventually got to speak to someone who sent us a complete new part. This fixed the problem .

The fact that by asking two questions the diagnostics showed what was wrong speaks volumes. Best engineering and innovation...nope! Poor design and innovation..yes..manufacturing quality..carp! I would love to meet the man who is a fellow of the Society of Engineees (how many engineers join that one??)

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It rained again last night, but it’s currently dark, grey with no more rain, but forecast for more later. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is getting herself ready for her Zumba class, once she’s gone, I’ll head back downstairs and continue working in the cellar, I should be able to fit t(e under stairs pullout drawer today, once that’s in, I can measure and cut the end panel before giving that a coat or two of paint. 

The plan for early evening is to go swimming again, I’m hoping to get there early enough tonight, to be able to get in the water for 5 o’clock. But the traffic can be a little tricky at that time of night!

Back later

• Like 14

9 hours ago, bbishop said:

Looked for a fixed telephone and there was just one in John Lewis.  I'd better buy it.  The next item to die is my vacuum cleaner, still works but is very much knackered.  And only a decade old!  Any recommendations, other than Dyson which I won't buy on principal.

Bill

After a load of research we settled on a Shark DuoClean (stick vac) With 3 cats the initial torture test proved quite positive. Actually better than the Dyson it replaced, and a hell of a lot lighter. Our land line phone is a purple reproduction Trimphone. I'm still trying to get SWMBO to call the outlaws with her mobile & Whatsapp. It would save about £35 a month. 

Greetings all from that borough most boring. Speaking of things retro, we are lucky to have one of the best record stores in London on our doorstep. Cruisin Records. Been around since the 70s. On top of that there is a semi-monthly record fair in Bexley village. Prices aren't anything like what Mr Bach just paid but reasonable. Yes, we have over 900cds, about 300 vinyl albums & around 80 cassette tapes. 

Coffee time. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I'm still trying to get SWMBO to call the outlaws with her mobile & Whatsapp. It would save about £35 a month. 

Same here. Even on her mobile it wouldnt cost her the hour long call although its not quite so far as Canada with her Mum being on the South coast. However she pays the landline bill. I am tryting ot reduce the broadband bill and Sky bill but she watches a channel that I beleive only Sky have - Sky  Atlantic. SKy dont have the same broadband speed as Virgin hence I dont want to move that but some telephone calls will be made soon to try and get them to reduce the bills or I will move them.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Overcast and possible rain

It looks as if everyone who normally goes to Aldershot show is going, as GDB can't watch the rugby I hope he will go, I prefer to go Saturday as I like a breakfast before going in, the Astolat Café

its just up the road by Manor Park do excellent food.:good_mini:

Today I have a date with a nurse she lives local but we are meeting away from prying eyes for lunch.:wub:

The house sale is #issing me off another pile of paper work to go through which I'm sure has been done and sent back the clerk dealing with it is off today so I can't ask he to check the file for it.:banghead:

The Dyson we had was a pile of carp it got launched one day and have been buying Vax hoovers ever since, a few friends have these Shark jobbies which they say are good I'll have a look

to see how well they are built, I noticed that pillock James Dyson :crazy_mini: has stopped bleating about digital motors no such thing after an engineer in the states took one of his hoovers apart the motor

has a Panasonic label on it, view it on youtube.

Must get on enjoy your day :superman: S.C.Offa :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

28 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Same here. Even on her mobile it wouldnt cost her the hour long call although its not quite so far as Canada with her Mum being on the South coast. However she pays the landline bill. I am tryting ot reduce the broadband bill and Sky bill but she watches a channel that I beleive only Sky have - Sky  Atlantic. SKy dont have the same broadband speed as Virgin hence I dont want to move that but some telephone calls will be made soon to try and get them to reduce the bills or I will move them.

Snap. BT for the phone as it offers £5 to call unlimited to Canada, as long as each call is under 60 minutes. Virgin for internet as the BT line when we moved in was carp and incapable of providing any sort of broadband. Sky for TV, as it has certain channels only available to it that SWMBO likes. Ideally, I'd prefer to use the mobiles for all calls, Freeview, and Virgin (company pays 50% anyway). That would knock around £90 a month off our household expenses. The cost of living is getting silly. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus is in full voice as I type, it started off first thing with the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon, no one slept in this morning. Track night tonight at SEERS, I'll have to get there earlier to book the outside 00 track as I want to test run my Oxford rail gun and it might not like the tighter radii of the inner  tracks. (There are five ovals of 00, two of 0 gauge and one of 1 gauge for members to test run their stock). Now back to the thread on the proposed Hattons four and six wheel coaches, gets a bit frothy at times but not as badly as some.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon  from a cloudy place that seems to be warming up.  The builder is busy rendering the walls of the extension.  I've cleaned my car out, fitted a child seat and done a tip run.  Beth has been making Spag Bol in honour of the girls who arrive tomorrow.  We had a What's App chat with Rachel and Emily. Grandpa and Nana are getting quite excited about seeing the little cherub.

I hope that the radiotherapy  gives some relief to Sandy.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I see the wish list starts again on Monday. I didn't get my wish from the past 5 years. I've wished for no more wishlists. :rolleyes:

Well that will be 6 years in a row then.

I managed a GWWorm avoider trip to Euston by getting a service to Clapham Junction then overground to Willesden Junction and a Overground into Euston. Saw a long rake of mk3 sleeper coaches heading not the North a London line presumably to storage or scrap.

Beer o’clock in Euston Tap but it’s not what it used to be with a much less interesting range of craft and fewer ales. Now in Doric Arch awaiting other half. Beer range in here isn’t as good either.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Greetings all from LBG where I can still see a bit of blue between the clouds.

Thoughts with John and Sandy and with Debs also.

Vacuum Cleaners: I am glad to see Bob81C referring to them by their proper name of hoover! Our hoover is a Dyson, no problem whatsoever, although it is heavier than the Electrolux thing it replaced. They sent a spare hose free of charge when I managed to stretch beyond its intended reach while attacking a cobweb at the top of the long drop on the stairs.

I suspect that I have managed to drive down the same limited access part of Northampton to get to a cash machine as Roundhouse, and like Chrisf our road is one way. It is amazing the number of people who get it wrong, even parking facing the wrong way - and presumably also failing to notice it is resident permit parking only! The road has a right angle bend in it - one time as we were coming back from holiday in a taxi, we found an enormous queue in the road parallel to ours which is likewise one way (where Waitrose is, Andrew).

After a while our taxi driver reversed out of the street and then down ours in reverse from the high street. A B&Q artic had got stuck on the right angle bend. We had unpacked our suitcases and put a load of washing on before it managed to free itself!

The experience turned out useful as it formed part of the case against planning for building flats on the large plot of land at that corner.

Off out tonight for a few beers and then a meal with friends - so looking forward to that.

Have a good day all

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

16 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I suspect that I have managed to drive down the same limited access part of Northampton to get to a cash machine as Roundhouse, and like Chrisf our road is one way. It is amazing the number of people who get it wrong, even parking facing the wrong way - and presumably also failing to notice it is resident permit parking only! The road has a right angle bend in it - one time as we were coming back from holiday in a taxi, we found an enormous queue in the road parallel to ours which is likewise one way (where Waitrose is, Andrew).

After a while our taxi driver reversed out of the street and then down ours in reverse from the high street. A B&Q artic had got stuck on the right angle bend. We had unpacked our suitcases and put a load of washing on before it managed to free itself!

I know what you mean. That whole area is a nightmare for lorries. Google maps when acting as a sat-nag will send vehicles down Rectory Lane instead of Knoll road. I've seen many a jammed artic along there. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago a friend of my mother was driving up the main street in Prestatyn - which for the most part is one way.

She arrived at the top T junction in the r/h lane as she was turning right.

An oaf who wanted to turn left in to the street stopped right in front of her, got out and proceeded, in a very loud voice, to berate not only my mum's friend, but all lady drivers in existence. After a few minutes of suffering the barrage of abuse in silence, the friend calmly pointed to the very visible No Entry sign beside the gentleman's car.  At which point he shut up and drove away...

• Like 7
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

A'noon all,

Not much to report.

Shopping has been shopped.

Due to Typhoongate I should be able to attend Aldershot on Saturday.

Friend Jane is coming out of hospital today after in fact having had 2 heart attacks and  an operation to fit stents.

Enjoy what is left of the day,

Bob.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The Dyson 'digital motor' ad always makes me laugh and i wonder how many folk it has conned - but then would those conned know what a brushless motor is anyway?   So yesterday it was why haven't you booked the hotel yet, so I booked it although I thought it would be better to wait.  Today details of her hospital appointment arrives and guess what - it's the day I have to be in York, so I now have to alter the hotel booking (the Good Doctor will provide hospital transport so that's not a problem in my absence).

and today the Good Doctor did the run to the trainspotting branch of Waitrose which rather nicely also included a visit to the baker up in the village so a very scrumptious lardy cake came home with the shopping.  So next task is to sort various arrangements for next week although I'll still stay in York for a couple of nights as I need to do some delving into the accessibility of various rolling stock registers which are held at the NRM.   The wish list thing starting on Monday is I suspect rather poorly timed - as, I have a feeling, will become apparent on Tuesday. 

Hope things are going/have gone well for Debs and Sandy today while they're in the hands of the medical fraternity.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4