The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I never had the TB jab nor the smallpox inoculation. I'm pretty sure few if any in my school had a TB jab and I escaped the smallpox because I'd had chicken pox not long before. The jabs I did have at school were for polio which was still a serious illness at the time, as was TB and smallpox. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Sadly, it is a case of being up to the individual authority I was told. This particular one is like most others and seeks to squeeze your gonads until you scream. If the property is empty due to death of the all residents, then there is a period - usually 6 months - in which the estate does not pay any council tax although, in the present climate, completing a sale within six months is almost impossible. Given the time taken to obtain a grant of administration (probate), find a buyer, the buyer's solicitor to complete all necessary searches and the seller to have available all consents and certificates, six months is certainly not long! 

Have you thought about registering the house as a second home and claiming the 50% off the council tax?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had another fairly productive day, all the shelves have now had 2 coats of varnish applied (1 side only) and further coats will be applied in due course. This will probably be Wednesday, as tomorrow looks like a day of various shopping trips collecting some click and collect packages etc. I also want an early finish so I can get to Salford Quays for my 5 o’clock dip!

This afternoon I even managed to get an hour in the workshop, but that was mainly tidying up and organising my spare craft knife blades, putting new blades into small plastic containers ready for use. 

Lovely photos Rick.

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Have you thought about registering the house as a second home and claiming the 50% off the council tax?

In which case you'll be hammered with CGT when it finally does sell, the conditions around CGT on second homes etc have changed and you can get into expensive problems if you claim it as a second home and then try to sell it without first living in it for a stated period of time.    BTW if it is still unsold after 2 years the council can charge double the standard rate of Council Tax on it

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

I've been through ER.  I'm now going to watch election results on TV. (Canadian General Election). Polls closed here 45 minutes ago (at 9:30) but we've had results from the east since 8:00 and the polls farther west will close at 7:00 or 7:30 their time.  I haven't heard anything since 9:00.

It used to be that there was an embargo on results until polls closed locally.

• Informative/Useful 12

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW if it is still unsold after 2 years the council can charge double the standard rate of Council Tax on it

Zut alors! There are so many vacation homes around here that we get a substantial property tax discount (homeowners exemption) because we actually live here. To some extent that makes up for income tax we pay to Idaho but that's not a big problem because we don't have a lot of income.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Good morning one and all

Apparently I am a Pride in London partner.  This will be why I received an invitation to a meeting at City Hall in London tonight to discuss this year's Pride and plans for the future of this remarkable event.  I would seriously like to attend but it is not possible.  I wonder who else is a partner?  If the list includes all who marched, that's 30,000 for a start!  Then there are stewards and other helpers.  City Hall is surely not big enough.  Where is the nearest football stadium?  I have a sinking feeling that it is Millwall.  Oh dear.  I shall just have to see what happens next year.  So where will I be tonight instead?  Why, at the AGM of the Bedford branch of the Locomotive Club of Great Britain.  The formal bit will not take long.  We will all vote dutifully to accept last year's minutes and this year's accounts and leave at least one of the vacancies on the committee unfilled because we always do.   After tea we will enjoy some stand-up comedy from Bill Davies, the Branch Chairman, whose tales of real life on the railway can be hilarious.  Where would I rather be?  Hmmmm ....

The search for the missing frets continues with less and less enthusiasm.  They must be somewhere and I will feel such a fool when either they turn up or I replace them.  It is no good telling me that I should be tidier.  I know that already!  Perhaps one more day will be spent turning the place upside down before I suspend the search and do something useful instead.  Poorly Pal would like chicken for lunch on Thursday so I need to go shopping again tomorrow.  Wok and roll!

My thanks to Debs and all who respond.   Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

Not too bad a nights sleep of just over 6 hours, though there were a lot of wake up and turn overs..

Ben The I'm desperate to go out Collie, Did this morning, but stayed within the light pool from the house.

This weeks major system calibrations went well yesterday, except I kept having to fight off it resetting, this system has been off line during the Lab build /rebuild, and has a lot of updates to catch up on. I'll reset it again when I go in this morning, and then start where I left off the computer programme yesterday. This means more work for me stitching together, different sets of results, and of course slows down the whole calibration.

I see they are going on about having green number plates for electric cars, since number plate checking is done by ANPR technology, it doesn't care what colour the plates are, so that's just a publicity stunt..

We won't be seeing our car till at least Thursday, So I've rescheduled my visit to my sailing compatriot to tomorrow.

Our only owned house move, we sold the house 1 week after we moved out, and completion was in just over a month, it really wasn't worth fighting councils for rebates of money.. Living in the new houses of Milton Keynes all the searches and ancient clauses have long since been sorted out. So if you've got an efficient solicitor it should be done quickly. We used a conveyancer they really know their job and are even better for house transfers.

Time to wander down to the lab and click reset.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There is a glimmer of brightness in the Eastern sky and a dry day with spells of sunshine and a light sou'westerly breeze is promised.

Needles or the sight of blood have never bothered me - just as well really.:whistle: Biggest regret is not being a blood donor and since having had a transfusion in 1996 not allowed to give some back.

No Shed visits yesterday and there won't be today either, too many other things to do. However I have now placed some forward orders for a Wainwright SECR D class and some "generic" coaches. (SECR and GNR)  Hopefully by the time they come I'll have some track to run them on. Possibly.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

In other news last evening's purchase and installation of the new washing machine was eventually successful. 

The simple 'undo the transit bolts and gentle wiggle them to remove' was achieved with mole grips and a choice of blue language.

The old machine is stood in the drive awaiting emptying of water and the transition to the recycling centre.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Regarding owning two properties, it is not something we had planned to do but it occurred due in part to the unsatisfactory process of buying and selling property in England. We certainly didn’t wish (nor could we afford) to have a holiday home or to become landlords letting out property. At our age, efficient tax planning to provide for our families is more important than personal gain. Anyway, the nightmare is ended, we have awoken to a new week and we can breath again. The old adage of “same sh!t, different day” becomes “different sh!t, similar day”.

And now the diary for my little part of NEHerts. Taxiing SWMBO to her palace of pedicure (yes, the same one that helped with the birthday subterfuge a few weeks back) will be followed by a non-fasting session with a daughter of Dracula for me. I then visit Ian the Fish, take grandsons to their golf lesson and finally play cribbage this evening. Although very unlikely, it is just possible the magnetic clamps I ordered yesterday will arrive today as the supplier has told me they have been despatched - once again, thanks for your assistance there. I am wondering whether to offer my services on cremation barbecue duty for the upcoming village fireworks. I did it last year, no one got food poisoning but I haven’t been specifically asked to perform again. A new PTA committee may be sweeping clean so we shall see but their timetable is not one that I think could work as they are leaving the firefighting until much too late.

Speedy recovery wishes where necessary and have a stressless day if you can. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Every new project gets one, labelled up and ALL bits, frets, spruces and transfers go in.

When I dismantle something or start a kit build I do the same. Fridge boxes where the lid has broken, Flora boxes, ice cream boxes all get used.

Tools and paints live in trays in a set of shallow drawers on castors from Ikea which lives under the layout and can be pulled out if necessary. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull start to the northwest of England, but at least its dry. Not a lot of DIY planned for the today. My first task will be to drop Sheila off for her hand therapy and manicure, I will then carry on into the town centre and complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. Once that’s completed I will return home and put everything away and make myself a second muggertea whilst I await Sheila’s return. Then WE will go and collect a couple of click and collect packages from the Trafford Centre.

Whenever I buy bits for kits etc, these go in the kit box, if I buy anything else, I generally write on the packet what’s inside and then store them in larger (labelled with type of contents) boxes etc. 

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I didn't fall for the no need to tidy up, and had not only carried out the aforesaid tasks but had cooked lunch for Sunday too. So I felt very virtuous …. !

Rule 1:  Never, ever complete the tasks.  They like to feel indispensable.

Rule 2:  Screw up the tasks assigned to you.  That way they know you can't be trusted and never ask again.

Rule 3:  Try your best to remember the benefits of Rules 1 & 2 when you head is being ripped off....

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Aditi often asks her sister about our nephew Josh. The usual answer is “I don’t ask”. Aditi now just asks him herself. So this morning we have had lots of photos from his hike in the Himalayan foothills . He is currently in a taxi (8 hour drive) to Dharamsala. He did a placement there when studying to be a doctor.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2