The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I plan to venture out for newspapers shortly, only bread is in short supply I'll have a look for substitutes such as crackers.

2 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Replace all supermarket trollies with baskets....... problem sorted.

Someone has already said thats impracticle. I need to use a trolley as otherwise it means hoiking the walker out of the car.

2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Like a big tax increase to pay for it all!

Perhaps some of those billionairs could be made to pay some tax.

1 hour ago, 81C said:

Seeing that bog reminded me of these p!sspots

WP_20150829_11_14_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20150829_11_15_14_Pro.jpg

They certainly couldn't be used for a number two.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

During the last few days most preserved railways announced that they were closing for the duration. Both the Bluebell and Seaton Tramway resisted the trend but by last night had bowed to the inevitable.

On the Main Line nearly all the railtours were cancelled but amazingly West Coast Railways trip from Glasgow to Perth today is running with the ECS currently running a few minutes late according to Realtime Trains. I cannot believe that Network Rail has not done something to stop such services when all the regular services are being reduced. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

Morning all, overcast today, but dry so far, was intending to do some daily exercise on a bike, but may now abandon that plan, will monitor the weather, finding plenty of jobs in the garden and I am planning to re decorate the bathroom, so prep work has begun, stay safe all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue. Currently in the workshop where I'm about to start drilling enlarging holes in a few (24) relays.

Back later 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

During the last few days most preserved railways announced that they were closing for the duration. Both the Bluebell and Seaton Tramway resisted the trend but by last night had bowed to the inevitable.

On the Main Line nearly all the railtours were cancelled but amazingly West Coast Railways trip from Glasgow to Perth today is running with the ECS currently running a few minutes late according to Realtime Trains. I cannot believe that Network Rail has not done something to stop such services when all the regular services are being reduced. 

Your a right old killjoy. :onthequiet:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 81C said:

Morning All

overcast and the sun trying to get through 

Yesterday as I was passing I picked up some milk in a Tesco's Express normally I pay £1.20 for 4 pints, those rip off B'stards £1.80 won't be using those stores again. :threaten:

I've food for 2 weeks in the fridge/freezer apart from milk I will ease of my consumption of it to save a daily battle to find some 8 pints in the fridge is normally 2-3 days worth

I should be able to stretch that a bit.

Better get on stay safe :superman: I. Wusrooked :biggrin_mini2:

Tescos express have always charged more for their goods,  the comparative running cost of a small town center express shop, is much much higher than a out of town "Extra" store. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 81C said:

Yesterday as I was passing I picked up some milk in a Tesco's Express normally I pay £1.20 for 4 pints, those rip off B'stards £1.80 won't be using those stores again. :threaten:

I've food for 2 weeks in the fridge/freezer apart from milk I will ease of my consumption of it to save a daily battle to find some 8 pints in the fridge is normally 2-3 days worth

I should be able to stretch that a bit.

Better get on stay safe :superman: I. Wusrooked :biggrin_mini2:

My Tesco Express has charged £1.09 or £1.10 for four pints of milk for what seems like forever and the price had not changed yesterday. Are you sure you didn't pick up one of the more expensive brands instead of their own brand cheap milk. I have made that mistake in Morrisons once but now check I am picking the right thing more carefully.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The organic free range semi skimmed milk is usually more expensive. 

Spot on there Tony it's orgasmic milk I've just looked, what a load of b#llox if you don't mind my opinion does it give you a better stiffy ??? never heard of the stuff before

I'll be more careful when I'm in a rush mind you it was the last milk in the cabinet.

Went to put up a new roller blind in the kitchen there is a new window put in recently they must have been called CLOWNS "R" US who done the work there is no where to

attach the blind I will have to put in a thin subframe round the window, plaster board won't stand the strain of a blind the screws will come loose over time.  :banghead:

Stay safe :superman: Robert The Builder :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Likewise, the Ratty has also ceased operations only just over a week after starting this year’s daily timetable.  

Just been out out for a walk, but it was cold with no sun and a bitter wind.  Local gossip suggests that Tesco’s was actually pretty well stocked this morning, so maybe the panic buying is starting to ease a bit now that people don’t have any more room to store things.  We will try to do our weekly shop on Monday morning.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The shopping trip to Tess Coes went quite well, there was even some wrapped bread stodge on the shelves. I also topped up my (proper) bread supplies. Still plenty of empty shelves but I found all I required. The kitchen cupboards need sorting, you may remember the suicidal pickled onions from last week. Well hiding behind them were some very ancient pickles, they're probably OK but they will be binned. Teas made, be backlater.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Well the Kevlar gloves did their stuff,  very few thorns found a way in. 

The second half of the back of the garage roof was cleared of Ivy. 

Then I went to the side between the previously cleared side and the back to clear that.. Then....

I found the ivy had grown through the asbestos and cracked one hollow in for about 8ft . This came off with the ivy..  Then the remains of the soffits  were removed to clear the remaining ivy..  That revealed a catalogue of bodges. No less than six stacked pieces of wood above the window,  also a Piece between two of the roof beams is seriously rotten. The window frame is rotten too. Elsewhere there is  a variety of bits of brick and block mortared  into a semblance of a sloped wall top. 

So to the planned repairs,   one of a things we cleared from the widows garage was a upvc double glazed window,  I've now measured that to find its Just 7 inches narrower than the failed window. 

I'll need to buy a concrete lintle,  which will replace part of the wood stack. 

Above that will be a beam to replace more of the stack and an identical beam to replace the rotten one. 

The window will be mounted  higher up under the lintle,  and the spare space bricked up.. 

Then the beam ends removed  flush with the wall,  and upvc replacement soffits fitted. 

Quite what I'll do about the broken piece of asbestos I don't know, there's not much overhang of the roof left there.. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

How often does it come into stock? :jester:

Just been out for a walk to the river.  It felt like a normal Saturday.  People walking, a few cycling, jogging and stopping to chat.  The riverside gardens were busy especially the children's play area though the cafe was closed.  Bumped into a neighbour from along the block we haven't seen in a while - she usually winters somewhere warmer - and all seems well with her and her kids.  I did ask that if she needed anything, or was aware of others who might need help or support, that she drop a note in and I will organise what ever I can.  

The local train service began well this morning but since mid-afternoon all have been cancelled.  Most others are running making me wonder if it may be a signaller who is unavailable rather than the six train crews it requires to run this service.  Most other trains are running.  

That deserves a special mention, are you creaming the humour on here?

• Funny 16