The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I also have a UV torch with which I can zap any germ or virus but what is the best way to use it? 

There is a broad spectrum of UV. The high energy  stuff (UVC) that comes from the Sun does not make it through the Earth's ozone layer which is just as well because it is very nasty stuff. Unfortunately it's also the stuff that can destroy viruses. The more feeble UVA and UVB don't destroy virusus.

Unless your torch produces UVC it won't do anything but if it does you need to be very careful with it.

(Handy hint: You might be able to detect the presence of certain biological substances on hotel bed covers with a UV torch or you might prefer not to know.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 7

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Being rich and powerful has not really helped Harvey Weinstein in his current situation.  I suspect if he hadn't been rich and powerful he wouldn't be in the predicament he now finds himself.

Bit of a false premise there Richard. Had he not been rich and powerful he would not have had the power to attempt to "entertain" so many ingenue starlets in hotel rooms and other places with impunity for many years.

Without going into a diatribe about how few rape cases are actually prosecuted in the US, it is overwhelmingly the poor who are incarcerated. For a society that saw how being rich and powerful can inoculate against justice (People v. Orenthal James Simpson comes to mind) that seeing celebrities actually prosecuted and incarcerated (like Bill Cosby and Weinstein) is a positive sign.

• Agree 10

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... the simple matter of he (and she) who pays the piper calling the tune - and getting what they have paid for/are paying for.  

I would change that by replacing 'pays/paid/paying' by 'votes/voted/voting', and I think it's a significant change. Many people pay taxes which go towards services which they never use, but vote for parties and policies which promote those services. 'One' may also use much more of a service than 'one' has directly paid for. And I don't mean just social services - think of a 'service' as any benefit to a person or organisation.

Personally, I have no objection to the general principle of paying taxes towards some services I use and other people do not or, similarly, to some services others use but I do not. Of course, I would always support attempts to ensure those taxes, whatever they are used for, are spent efficiently and effectively. And, if I do think taxes should be used towards different ends, I have the opportunity at the relevant times to register that opinion by the way I vote. 

I hope that this can be taken as 'political, but not party political' comment. If it does break the prohibition on politics on the site, I' m sure the mods will deal with it.

[Edit - I took a while to think about and type this post. I see there's been comment about 'politics' in the meantime. Mods - please feel free to delete. (As if you needed my permission!☺)]

Edited by pH
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bit of a false premise there Richard. Had he not been rich and powerful he would not have had the power to attempt to "entertain" so many ingenue starlets in hotel rooms and other places with impunity for many years.

I appreciate he would either have been told to sling his hook early on, or would have now been finishing a prison sentence rather than starting it.

The point I was trying to make was that despite all his accumulated wealth, it matters not one jot as it is not getting him any better or preferential medical treatment than the usual prison inmate receives in the USA.

• Like 12

Re the rich and powerful: did you know that the origin of the word “privilege” comes from “private law” (from the latin, I believe)?

Although, for the most part in the west  the machinery of the law cannot be bought, those who tend the machinery - solicitors, barristers, etc. - most certainly can. It’s rather bizarre: a skilled and erudite barrister can get the perpetrator of a crime either incarcerated (if prosecuting for the Crown) or acquitted (if acting for the defence) and on the same evidence.

Of course, the more money you have the greater and wider the access to the massed ranks of the legal profession.

To be honest, I’ve always thought that the aim of an ethical legal defence is NOT to get the guilty to go free, but to exonerate the innocent and get the most appropriate sentence for the guilty (so we don’t see absurdities like people looting a pair of trainers get a custodial sentence whilst someone convicted of an serious assault gets a suspended sentence)

Now off for a whisky, some video games and then bed.

Goodnight all

iD

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A vexing subject healthcare. Doctors and scientists continually find new ways to prevent diseases killing us that would have taken out our predecessors. I know I'm in that category.

But it's expensive and however you look at it it's going to consume an even greater amount of funding regardless of the source of that funding. Those of us in the US might be more aware of the actual costs involved (which are pretty staggering) because even when we are on a state insurance care system (Medicare) we still get billed by the providers for the actual amount charged. That is usually negotiated to a lower amount by the insurer but it's still an incredible amount of money.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And I bet they still resuscitate the, never paid a penny in, drunks and druggies on a Saturday night, and any other night / day come to that

Not if they have a DNR. But DNRs are not for useful medical intervention - like reviving a drug overdose. They are for people who in the medical opinion, cannot be revived or who are unlikely to recover their faculties or do not wish to exist in a persistent vegetative state.

My son's grandmother signed a DNR. It gave her control. She was ill and didn't want to go on. She was already refusing nutrition when she developed a UTI which ultimately took her.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I lived in Southern California from 1986 to 1991. While in California I experienced many earthquakes - more than I can recall...................

Having much later moved to Oregon, we felt the 2001 Nisqually/Seattle earthquake (6.8) which was a long "roller" (as felt in Oregon)...........................................

With the prospect of a large Juan De Fuca Subduction Zone earthquake very real here in the Northwest, earthquakes are a force to be feared. When such an earthquake happens, it will be much like the 2011 Tōhoku/Fukushima earthquake in Japan - very similar tectonic forces are at work..............................

Living in EQ country, one has to be aware of the problems associated with such calamities that go with the area.  Not only EQs, but various volcanoes dot the PNW ready to do untold damage along with the possible tsunamis.  We are constantly being reminded of the "big one" which I've heard about ever since we came here from CA years ago  Presumably we've been lucky and not experienced any such disastrous catastrophes.

The current virus is bad enough!:help:

Brian.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Nothing else happening - the ignorance of the White House occupant showing no bounds as always. Apparently, it'll be a good outcome/OK if 200,000 citizens die :butcher::rtfm::triniti:

Maybe he'll think differently if one of his own family form a part of that number....

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Made the trip to Tess Coes and managed to get almost all I needed, the one thing missing was the oven chips which had sold out. However in compensation was another batch of bread pudding and one was duly acquired. I now have sufficient food for about five days, I was watching the use by dates so some was rejected because the dates were less than three days hence. Only had to queue for about 15 minutes to get in, not too bad. I noticed that the town centre shops such as smiffs, and others that are still open are closing early and not opening at all on Sundays.

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

There is a broad spectrum of UV. The high energy  stuff (UVC) that comes from the Sun does not make it through the Earth's ozone layer which is just as well because it is very nasty stuff. Unfortunately it's also the stuff that can destroy viruses. The more feeble UVA and UVB don't destroy virusus.

Unless your torch produces UVC it won't do anything but if it does you need to be very careful with it.

(Handy hint: You might be able to detect the presence of certain biological substances on hotel bed covers with a UV torch or you might prefer not to know.)

My torch is 395nm whatever that means.

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I appreciate he would either have been told to sling his hook early on, or would have now been finishing a prison sentence rather than starting it.

The point I was trying to make was that despite all his accumulated wealth, it matters not one jot as it is not getting him any better or preferential medical treatment than the usual prison inmate receives in the USA.

He would probably get better medical attention than many American citizens who do not have medical insurance. And on that point about people coming to the UK as 'medical tourists' (not anywhere near as many as the Daily Wail would have us believe) I can see medical insurance being compulsory in future before none residents/citizens enter the country due to the CV-19 outbreak. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Since then I've been researching the Scarinish war memorial it will be interesting to see what detail I can get into 36mm high. 

5465780_97ff34aa_original.jpg

large_15_j_m_briscoe_ph33_6ug14_09_2011_17_49_03_291703.jpg

large_04_j_m_briscoe_ph33_6ug14_09_2011_17_48_30_290703.jpg

Do it the 21st century way - take photos of it, put them  into free photogrammetry

software such as 3dflow zephyr , output as stl file, send to 3d printer - no modelling skills needed!

(Assuming 'photographing monuments' is still a thing you can do there... whata wierd world it is just now)

statue.jpg.24e405ed4601a7e5756e8451431348c6.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought. On the bridge bashing thread the is a picture of a lorry stuck under a bridge. Someone noted that it had a foreign registration and on further examination it appears to be Italian. I was just wondering what about lorry drivers stuck in another country and those in this country unable to get home?

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My torch is 395nm whatever that means.

That's the wavelength in nanometers (1 meter is 1,000,000,000 nanometers.)

Which ain't much but it's actually long-wave UV. That puts it near the low energy end of the UVA band which is probably about as much use for destroying viruses as a chocolate teapot. However, you might have a bit of fun with it on disco night if "ra booncers" don't kick you out.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's the wavelength in nanometers (1 meter is 1,000,000,000 nanometers.)

Which ain't much but it's actually long-wave UV. That puts it near the low energy end of the UVA band which is probably about as much use for destroying viruses as a chocolate teapot. However, you might have a bit of fun with it on disco night if "ra booncers" don't kick you out.

Yes, I looked it up, 400 is in the visible spectrum so as you say not a lot of use even on bacteria (it should be below 180 to be of any use).

• Like 13