RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

pierce tin, put in pan of boiling water for what felt like ages, remove from water and take off lid

There was a newspaper once who gave precise instructions for boiling an unopened can of condensed milk for a number of hours to get something like caramelised fudge. You should have sat the thing in a pan of boiling water for a number of hours then let the can cool before opening.

Unfortunately the newspaper omitted to say that you had to put water in the pan.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Back again. I got a reply from the shed company, my shed will be delivered some time between 12 and 5 this afternoon so fingers crossed. I've checked the Virgin Media website, the breakdown is apparently local but they don't expect it to be running until four in the afternoon which in IT speak does not of course say which afternoon. I've got three can openers, all are pretty ancient and have rarely if ever been used over the last twenty years or so. The reason being that I now rarely if ever use canned food. I prefer fresh food wherever possible and the microwave is useful for cooking vegetables, only takes a minute or two. The other cooking item I use is an air fryer, mine is one of the top end machines that can double as a small fan oven. Another advantage of the microwave is that I use the grill quite a lot and sometimes with things such as fish it can be difficult to be sure that the item is cooked through so a quick 30 second zap with the micro makes sure that its cooked right through. 

• Like 12

pan Hagarty . . panakarty . . .panacklty . . . 

The spelling does not seem to affect the taste.

I think it was last year . . .maybe  longer, that Ma Ma Ma Matt Baker brought Countyfile to Easington and was touring the allotments.

He was re-introduced to this noted cuisine by one of the local ladies.

Morning all . . . finally caught up . . for how long, can only be speculation in  this corner of the nation.

Fine day up to now but heavy cloud rolling in from  the north west. 

Have a good day everyone, I'm orf to trim the lawn.

John

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Last night we went to bed early and this morning we both woke up late, it being well after 9 o’clock when I got out of bed! Anyway, the sun is shine and the sky is blue, but there are a few clouds about, some of which look a little grey. Now breakfast is but a distant memory I’ll head off downstairs and continue clearing away the rubbish stuff that might come in handy that has been stored there for the last 40 years or so. It’s slowly becoming clearer and hopefully by the end of the year a start will have been made on its refurbishment into a (model railway room).

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

pan Hagarty . . panakarty . . .panacklty . . . 

The spelling does not seem to affect the taste.

I think it was last year . . .maybe  longer, that Ma Ma Ma Matt Baker brought Countyfile to Easington and was touring the allotments.

He was re-introduced to this noted cuisine by one of the local ladies.

Morning all . . . finally caught up . . for how long, can only be speculation in  this corner of the nation.

Fine day up to now but heavy cloud rolling in from  the north west. 

Have a good day everyone, I'm orf to trim the lawn.

John

John

My grandma lived in quebec before getting married whatever it was called in Easington is fine by me. She used to include bacon and then add great slices of corned beef into it before serving. Appears this is not on the new healthy food menus we are being urged to follow..pah!

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

grandma lived in quebec before getting married

Did the one in County Durham just get the name or did any of the Québécois culinary delights also cross the Atlantic?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I went to do a bit of eyelid inspection this morning when there was a knock on the door at about 11:30, it was the guys with my shed. It only took them half an hour  to put it together. I was fascinated by the 'hammer' that was used to fix the roofing felt. It had a conventional handle but the head was the size and shape of a packet of cigarettes. Every time he hit the roofing felt with it it inserted a staple, I thought its not a hammer that you would want to catch your thumb under. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I was fascinated by the 'hammer' that was used to fix the roofing felt. It had a conventional handle but the head was the size and shape of a packet of cigarettes. Every time he hit the roofing felt with it it inserted a staple, I thought its not a hammer that you would want to catch your thumb under. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

Indeed not. When I was 7 or so I tried an experiment with a small stapler, to see whether it would staple through my thumbnail. Somewhat unexpectedly (for the clueless child that I was) it did so with ease, driving the thin wire staple into the nail bed, and then bending it over, rendering extraction somewhat difficult. A valuable educational experience. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Did the one in County Durham just get the name or did any of the Québécois culinary delights also cross the Atlantic?

Poutine?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was fascinated by the 'hammer' that was used to fix the roofing felt. It had a conventional handle but the head was the size and shape of a packet of cigarettes. Every time he hit the roofing felt with it it inserted a staple, I thought its not a hammer that you would want to catch your thumb under.

Staple hammer or roofing hammer. Many roofs here are asphalt shingles, and that’s a standard roofers’ tool for fixing them. Here’s a top-of-the-line version from a local DIY store: 

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt-carbon-fibre-composite-hammer-tacker/1001044039

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Well its not raining...that's about the most positive I can be about today's weather!  Rather average for April.  Shame its July and almost August.

Been trying to isolate a squeak in Mrs NHN's ride to work bike for a week, a recent 500 Honda.  rear suspension sound sort of thing, surprising as it has under 2k miles, and the linkage has hardly had time to dry out.  Lubricating everything anyway has failed to cure it. 

Taking her top box full of girlie stuff off did stop it though.  #sigh# :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Life? Don't talk to me about life.....full-on Marvin moment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

21 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It is past time for bed.  The cat is unwell. A friend in Australia is in electronic conversation with SWMBO threatening to end it all.  It is going to be a long night.

Why do those who contemplate ending it all want to talk about such a drastic action?  Do they want to be talked out of it or just a sympathetic ear to their woes?  If they were really seriously thinking of it, surely the deed would have been done already! Trust it will have a happy ending and the cat gets better!:mellow:

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatB said:

Indeed not. When I was 7 or so I tried an experiment with a small stapler, to see whether it would staple through my thumbnail. Somewhat unexpectedly (for the clueless child that I was) it did so with ease, driving the thin wire staple into the nail bed, and then bending it over, rendering extraction somewhat difficult. A valuable educational experience. 

On a similar theme i once asked my mum why her thumb was deformed. The answer was she’d seen her mum ‘dry’ clothes with a mangle so tried to dry her hand with it. ‘Ouch!!!’

• Friendly/supportive 17

22 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

On a similar theme i once asked my mum why her thumb was deformed. The answer was she’d seen her mum ‘dry’ clothes with a mangle so tried to dry her hand with it. ‘Ouch!!!’

Wow! 

I've been pretty lucky and not broken anything or anything like that!

Mrs STH has only ever had one operation in her life so far too!

I've worked out that I can't watch Disney/Pixar's Up without crying at various points these days. Whether becoming a father has done it or really connecting with the very short story of Carl and Ellie Fredricksen I don't know but hey ho, I'm not afraid to admit I can be a cry baby sometimes... especially when stubbing my toe! 

• Friendly/supportive 14

My wife and kids out me to shame when it  comes to pain and needles

2 long labours 30+ resulting in emergency c sections with minimal pain relief 

Then she broke her leg in Tenerife cost an arm and a leg literally luckily we were insured and could claim back Please if anyone goes on holiday get travel insurance the bill runs into thousands otherwise again hardly any pain relief 

Youngest falls bites through the skin between lower lip and chin blood everywhere doesn't cry has blood test take 10 tubes of blood no problem 

Eldest broke his arm no crying 

Me need hand holding for blood test, plasters removing anything. When I had op  a couple of years ago nurse has to hold my hand whilst they put cannula in nearly broke her hand 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I've worked out that I can't watch Disney/Pixar's Up without crying at various points these days. Whether becoming a father has done it or really connecting with the very short story of Carl and Ellie Fredricksen I don't know but hey ho, I'm not afraid to admit I can be a cry baby sometimes... especially when stubbing my toe! 

The one that gets me is Disney's Dumbo (the early 70's version) - the bit where Dumbo goes up the hill to see Mrs. D locked in the Wagon....:cry:

12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Then she broke her leg in Tenerife cost an arm and a leg literally luckily we were insured and could claim back Please if anyone goes on holiday get travel insurance the bill runs into thousands otherwise again hardly any pain relief

The ones I have no time for are those that appeal for help to get little Johnny home from Thailand or wherever, who decided to go out there with no insurance and then promptly wrap a scooter around a tree.

I wonder how many are still going to Spain with no insurance, as it's now invalid even if you have it.

• Like 13