RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip... This is likely to lead to a few early nights reading myself to sleep. ...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris

That usually does not work for me, I get too involved in the story. As an example, years ago I got a copy of Jean Auel's CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR, a very thick book and figured that it would be a far better sleeping pill than anything in a bottle. Wrong! I got so involved that when the the clan was sitting around the fire swapping stories, I was right there with them. I only had a small light lit and was lying on the sofa reading. At one point the phone rang and it really scared me, made me jump up! I do not think that I have ever been that involved in a book before or since then.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

If i was loaded i would be coming to Switzerland to do my banking 

I think I have only been in a Swiss bank once although I have used cash machines there frequently. The sole visit inside  a bank must have been late 1980s. This was in the days of Eurocheques, cheques you wrote in whatever the local currency was. So I wrote out a cheque after we crossed into Switzerland so we would have some Swiss currency. The teller disappeared for ages, made a telephone call and then counted out the money, glaring at us all the time. Before he would hand it over (it wasn’t a large amount, just enough for a couple of meals on our day out) he insisted on knowing what we were going to spend the money on. All very strange. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Visit to Tess Coes went well, I won't starve this weekend. Did have a bit of a downpour that started as soon as I arrived at Tess Coes, it was still pouring as I left so I got a bit damp getting to the car. Then as soon as I had loaded the car and was about to leave the car park it stopped!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

We have more shopping arriving. There was no milk delivered with our order on Wednesday. The milk Aditi had requested wasn’t available (probably organic, free range from very happy Cornish cows) but she had accidentally selected “no substitutes”. We had a bottle of milk in the freezer so no immediate problem but another order was placed for this evening. It would be difficult to meet the minimum order amount just with the milk but we won’t be needing dishwasher tablets for a while now. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Good (?) Evening!

Another weekend looms, one in which we give back the hour we gained back in March!

My delivery, yesterday, of Purple Moose product is hitting the spot so it could be a good weekend!

In other news:

8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Back from the butchers, a 30 minute brisk walk and the fridge and freezer are now well stock for the week ahead. The rain was only falling lightly (good job as I didn’t put a coat or jacket on) as I walked there and back, but is really started to come down once I was back inside. I’ve now got muggertea No2 in hand and I’ll peruse the rmweb whist I drink it before heading for outing No2. 

Neil I thing it was a BG reading not HbA1C, but still good nonetheless. 

Was it you who, I recall, used to swim in the docks? It's raining, OK, I'll wear my wet suit?

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning again. To The Danglies I have been. The tax has been explained to me. Apparently  last years pension increase took us above a threshold and we no longer qualified for a rebate.  Tant Pis as they say.

Merde?

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think I have only been in a Swiss bank once although I have used cash machines there frequently. The sole visit inside  a bank must have been late 1980s. This was in the days of Eurocheques, cheques you wrote in whatever the local currency was. So I wrote out a cheque after we crossed into Switzerland so we would have some Swiss currency. The teller disappeared for ages, made a telephone call and then counted out the money, glaring at us all the time. Before he would hand it over (it wasn’t a large amount, just enough for a couple of meals on our day out) he insisted on knowing what we were going to spend the money on. All very strange. 
Tony

I rue the loss of Eurocheques! However, now adequately (unless you want to pay a foreign friend for getting you something. A Dutch colleague once bought and sent me a CD; I paid him with a Eurocheque!) replaced by bits of plastic in varying designs.

Point of interest: if, in the UK, we use contactless payment and the transaction is not approved, why do we have to insert the card into the reader and start again? My experience in Switzerland is that the machine just asks you to enter your PIN and the original transaction stands; no 'transaction declined' receipts are needed.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each.

Just heard that the England v Barbarians match on Sunday as been called off because 12 of the BaaBaas including ex England skipper Chris Robshaw have broken the rules and left their hotel bubble to go out for a meal.  Blithering idiots, you would have hoped  (and expected)  that professional sportsmen would've had more sense.

Just about to settle down to watch Scotland v Georgia on ITV4.  I will be accompanied by my good friend Shiraz.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2020 at 19:12, BokStein said:

Good (?) Evening!

Another weekend looms, one in which we give back the hour we gained back in March!

My delivery, yesterday, of Purple Moose product is hitting the spot so it could be a good weekend!

My two mini kegs form Purple Moose brewery have arrived but wont be opened till Sunday at the earliest . A beer free day today as planning a bus trip to visit pubs that I haven't been in for at least 25 years

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, BokStein said:

oint of interest: if, in the UK, we use contactless payment and the transaction is not approved, why do we have to insert the card into the reader and start again? My experience in Switzerland is that the machine just asks you to enter your PIN and the original transaction stands; no 'transaction declined' receipts are needed.

Apparently the reason for the declines are that you've passed the sequence limit for contactless payments. Inserting the card and entering the PIN resets the counter.

• Informative/Useful 12

3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Apparently the reason for the declines are that you've passed the sequence limit for contactless payments. Inserting the card and entering the PIN resets the counter.

So why don't I have to do that in Switzerland whereas in the UK I have to?

It ain't a common playing field!

Oh, and by the way, I can pay contactless in Switzerland for in excess of £100.00 equivalent and all I have to do is confirm my PIN; no insertion of the card in required!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

If I have to spend another 4 years listening to that incompetent lying orange sack-of-sh!t, my wine bill will go through the roof! 

Can I assume you're not so keen on him then?  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

If I have to spend another 4 years listening to that incompetent lying orange sack-of-sh!t, my wine bill will go through the roof! :jester: 

Stop sitting on the fence Ian and tell us what you  really think lol.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl inner Temple Hare, 

I have returned from the MRC,   it's a bit chilly out there,  with a cloudless sky.. 

First part of evening,  acting like a ganger,  second part of evening,  acting like a fencing contractor.  Both efforts have made a huge improvement to the look.. 

The forecast for tomorrow is a bit breezy,  I see it's already arriving in Ireland.  Fraggle rock next,

So tomorrow I'll be working in the garage.. 

No choccy tonight I've run out of my low sugar variety,  so the  might just have to have a Highland Park instead... 

So with that I bid you good night.. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I was in Tess Coes this afternoon I spotted what was advertised as a stollen loaf so at only £1:50 each so I had to give it a try. Very nice it is too but it seems to be reducing at an alarming rate. I met my friend in TC's, as I mentioned his autistic daughter is in a care home now he tells me that his other daughter is moving out to share a flat with her boyfriend. He will still be left with her boyfriends pet chihuahua, their landlord doesn't allow pets. Fortunately he's a very friendly animal no sign of the snappy behaviour that the breed is notorious for. My friends young son has bonded with the dog anyway and would have been upset if he had to go. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The visit to the Trafford Centre was as usual uneventful, but there are still some people who don’t know how to wear a mask. I mean, it isn’t rocket science is it?

After dinner I did a couple of sudoku puzzles and then I placed an order with David at SEF for a few spare parts. These are for a future project, my intention is to convert a ‘Langley’ Kit of an LBSCR ‘L class’ Baltic tank into an LBSCR J1 Pacific tank, something that just isn’t available, in either kit of R-T-R form. There then followed a spot of eyelid inspection, happily both eyes passed the inspection. Later in the afternoon I made a batch of leek and potato soup, some of which we had for tea tonight, the rest, once cooled was put in the freezer for future use.

Bokstein, yes it was me who used to swim in the docks, but the wearing of a wetsuit was purely down to what the water temperature was, generally id wear it below 14C, above that I’d wear just my trunks. Whether it was raining or not makes no difference at all, once your in the water, you can’t get any wetter!

Goodnight all 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2