The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

Some landlubbers are planning to gather boxes of treats for the crews for Christmas. 

Having previously worked for a maritime charity that supports seafarers I know how much that will mean to the crews.

I suspect that one impact may be that scheduled crew changes are trickier.

But not nearly as bad as if the ship is abandoned by its owners! If that happens no crew may leave without a replacement being provided. Basic needs (e.g. food) then often fall to faith-based port chaplains. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

56 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

Some of you may be interested to know that several cruise ships (and the ocean liner QM2!!)  have been anchored in Torbay since the Spring! There just aren’t enough mooring spaces available in ports. They are regarded with great affection by the locals, not least because they have donated surplus food to our local homeless charities. Some landlubbers are planning to gather boxes of treats for the crews for Christmas. 

Today, there were six in sight as I walked over Babbacombe Downs! Earlier this year, some enterprising boat owners, who normally run ferries within the bay, organised trips for people to view the ships at close quarters. My son, grandson and I joined one such trip last month. 

9737EE44-4147-4E42-A6FE-01F389499E96.jpeg

EEA2712C-981D-480C-A273-0665972D6336.jpeg

81DE0B52-0EF0-43CE-9DB8-00E302526D64.jpeg

47 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That stern view is another reason I don't trust those boats... stability. A floating tower block on a small base.. 

YES indeed, How do they stay upright in a Gale force wind? frightening.:fie:

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Out of interest, how long does the tanking solution provide protection against damp?  And what finish do you apply over the top once tanked - plaster/paint/dry line/something else?

The simple answer to the first question is I don't know. 

As for the second question, I'm putting up plaster boards and then getting the lot skimmed. Luckily my SiL is a plasterer, so does all that for me, in return I do their electrics. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Chewsday in the land-of-lockdown...

For inexplicable reasons (though not really, there are a ton of cockwombles here!!) Minnesota, even WITH strict regulations, recommendations and best efforts from the governor, are now vying daily for #1 or #2 WORST affected states in the US  :( 4,000 deaths recorded yesterday, the population is only 5.6 million here in the state.

However, especially to our EAST, while we have closed bars and restaurants, it's only a 35 mile journey to Hudson, Wisconsin, where they have NO closure rules, and apparently half the state seem to be travelling there every evening, getting sh!tfaced and starting fights, all without masks, OF COURSE!  :(

Apparently the locals are "surprised" but still don't feel their state should impose any restrictions - again, can't fix STUPID!

Staying inside here, though will venture out for a curbside pickup of some liquid essentials today, as well as a drive-by checkup of our friends house, we're checking occasionally for them while they are in Arizona.

-2 here and overcast, going to be "meh" all day with a high of 5

Onward...

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

That stern view is another reason I don't trust those boats... stability. A floating tower block on a small base.. 

QM2 on our Atlantic crossing did 21knots in a Force 10 last year. Utterly stable. Those waves were worth watching! Our cabin was on Deck 13 , which was higher than the bridge. We couldn’t go outside in those conditions though. Unlike most cruise ships QM2 had a couple of gas turbines to supplement the usual diesel generators. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

QM2 on our Atlantic crossing did 21knots in a Force 10 last year. Utterly stable. Those waves were worth watching! Our cabin was on Deck 13 , which was higher than the bridge. We couldn’t go outside in those conditions though. Unlike most cruise ships QM2 had a couple of gas turbines to supplement the usual diesel generators. 

Loose power to the four stabilisers and you'd be playing rock and roll.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went down to Tess Coes and now have sufficient dinners until Friday. Also had a haircut as there is a hairdresser in the store. I'm afraid cruise ships don't shake my tree, neither do to closely organised holidays, I much prefer to do my own thing.

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Luckily my SiL is a plasterer, so does all that for me......

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  Plastering?  Black Magic.  Bear will do most things, but not plastering (unless it's a diddy area) or roof work (too bl00dy high for this Bear - gutters are my limit)

51 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Minnesota, even WITH strict regulations, recommendations and best efforts from the governor, are now vying daily for #1 or #2 WORST affected states in the US  :( 4,000 deaths recorded yesterday, the population is only 5.6 million here in the state.

JEEZ....:O

The worst UK daily death rate was approximately 1000, for a total population figure (2019) of 66.6 Million.  If Bear's sums are correct that means the Minnesota rate is currently 47 times worse than the worst UK rate.

Out of interest, if someone in the US ends up in Hospital with C-19 do they (or their insurance company) get a big bill at the end of it?  What happens for those who can't afford insurance, especially if they need ITU care?

In other news:

The Media are milking the first person to be vaccinated good and proper.  What next - Maggie Keenan, This Is Your Life?

And I see that a load of Rugby players are going to sue the Rugby authorities for brain damage.  Did they not realise 20 or 30 years ago that being continually buried under a pile of All Blacks is detrimental to your health?

Rant over.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Insurance companies get the bill, and you receive whatever you're not covered by as your portion.

So, folks will limited or "high deductible" insurance could face a staggering bill, although there is also some coverage (not sure the extent) as part of the CARES Act designed to help during the pandemic.

Some folks have seen bills for $3,000 just for testing early on if they didn't have sufficient insurance cover.

I've no specifics but as an example, my emergency appendectomy 10+ years back with a 2 1/2 day stay in hospital resulted in a bill for over $25,000, fortunately most all that was paid as I have excellent insurance, however, many folks are likely to see potentially significant bills if they have little or no insurance and spend time in the ICU, depending on what CARES covers!

To Ian's comment I would add that most plans have an "annual, out of pocket maximum" but people will pay (variably) perhaps as much as 20% of the bill up to the out of pocket maximum. A long hospital stay residual bill can be eye-watering, even on a good insurance plan.

There are many variables, like in-network versus out of network providers which could include the hospital down to individual physicians.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

we reached the 4,000 death MARK since this began, still significant given the state population...

Minnesota has a cumulative total of 72 CoViD-19 fatalities per 100,000 people. (Oregon now has 25.)

In all of the US there is a cumulative total of 87 CoViD-19 fatalities per 100,000 people. This is 93 for the UK.

UK daily diagnosis numbers appear to have dropped down significantly since the most recent peak. This is not happening in the US.

Recent data indicated that on an annualized basis for 2020, CoViD-19 was the number 3 cause of death in the US behind heart disease and all cancers aggregated. Reports focused on the current rate*, show CoViD-19 is currently the number 1 cause of death in the US.

* I don't know over what period this was determined.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Whilst acknowledging that plastic surgery has proved to be a life saver for some I do think that some of the procedures are more for people wanting perfection. 

And from what I generally see, apart from the life saving and essential, they look far worse for it but at great cost.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I've no specifics but as an example, my emergency appendectomy 10+ years back with a 2 1/2 day stay in hospital resulted in a bill for over $25,000, fortunately most all that was paid as I have excellent insurance,

:O:O:O

I'm sure between the ER'ers we could've sorted it a lot cheaper:

iD on the scalpel

Bear with the IPA anaesthetic

Hippo on Security

etc etc.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 17