The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2020 at 11:18, jafcreasey said:

8°C
SW 11kt, gusting 22kt

Conditions seem to be settling after heavy showers and thunder overnight.  Socially-distanced Christmas deliveries are planned today and unsurprisingly not much else.

A quiet week was had at work fortunately as am on call all this weekend.  Yesterday I made the most of being home alone finishing Christmas wrapping before making dinner, a chicken and chorizo traybake.  I enjoy cooking, but rarely have chance, so for those with comparable culinary skills I recommend the MOB Kitchen cookbooks for simple recipes with (mostly) store cupboard essentials!

I sympathise with, @Gwiwer following his post yesterday.  Anxiety and depression have never been far away this year and the recent escalation of tiers has made a difficult time even more challenging.  The continual rollercoaster of having plans snatched away is becoming truly tiresome - I woke this morning and broke down, I'm not embarrassed to say.  Having worked throughout the pandemic with little break, Christmas (along with everything associated) was the glimmer of hope on the horizon.  From personal experience, I can’t agree more that the support for mental health is inadequate, but that’s another story…

Nevertheless, our Christmas shop will be undertaken tomorrow or Tuesday - nothing too outlandish, though I always treat myself to smoked salmon at breakfast during the festive season.  Perhaps one of the only things of 'normality' I have any control over this year!

When sat at work Early Risers is top of agenda and in the short time of contributing it’s been a cathartic exercise of a Sunday morning – so a big ‘thank you’ from me.

Stay safe and catch-up a little later in the week.

4°C

NW 14kt, gusting 31kt

Dry and cold with a rare view of clear skies beyond swiftly moving clouds.  Certainly feels nearer freezing in the breeze.  The office has been quiet this morning (despite beginning to type this before 09:00) and hope to be heading home soon to try and enjoy the festivities.

Christmas Eve seems to have arrived all of a sudden - traditions typically undertaken forgotten for this year at least.

Plans to see my parents over Christmas have been scuppered with the introduction of Tier 4 from Boxing Day and so Mrs C and I will head round briefly this evening for a quick exchange of presents.

The Christmas shop was undertaken Tuesday with vegetables severely lacking (as were toilet rolls, of course) but managed to get most things.  We timed it well as they were queued around the car-park by the time we were leaving.

As my mind begins to wander and the first Hobgoblin looms, stay safe and seasons greeting's to you all.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

My sound of the year for 2020

Aditi would really like a cuckoo clock. Fortunately she hasn’t seen one she likes. Perhaps when we can travel again we will go somewhere in Germany and get one.  We were once in a place called Titisee that claims to be the original cuckoo clock place. We couldn’t afford any of the clocks there then. Our neighbours have various chiming and cheeping clocks. In the summer we can hear them. We never ring their doorbell on the hour, quarter or half hour as they always assume  is one of their clocks.

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

A cuckoo year it certainly has been..

Keel sanded, painted on that side with resin, then a coat of glassfibre, then more resin, its currently got the fan heater on it..

I certainly made like a snowman until I stood out side in the 24 mph gusting 41mph, and waved a brush at myself..

I'll leave you with this..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Checked the temperature here..1°C.. thought it was a bit cool for T-shirt and shorts... 

Sky was blue. But a  thick grey snow like cloud filled sky has appeared.

@New Haven Neil.. cloudy Bay.. excellent choice.. I may partake of some Te Mata Gamay Noir later

Snowing now .bugggrrrrittt. her self has gone all giddy..

Baz

All clear in the Southern uplands of the Yorkshire Dales - just a few clouds loitering beyond  Pen-Y-Ghent as I look out of my office window.

Prepping for a POETCD in less than an hour. (Then 11 days off - longest break in almost two years!)

I shall be watching out for a special train tonight.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S73184/2020-12-24/detailed#allox_id=0

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good afternoon and 'benefiting' from, as Newbryford put it, POETCD!

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben the metrologist Collie took me out in the howling winds between rain storms.

Given your line of work, that's an interesting typo! Surely, Ben the meteorologist collie and The Q the metrologist!

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have just been given a task. It seems that Aditi’s hand must have slipped when ordering cheese. We have three times the amount she wanted. So I have been using Google to discover “Can you freeze Brie?”, “Can you freeze goat’s cheese?” etc.

I have stored Brie de Meaux in the freezer for several years so yes, Brie can be frozen. Not tried Goat's cheese but don't see why not.

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

All clear in the Southern uplands of the Yorkshire Dales - just a few clouds loitering beyond  Pen-Y-Ghent as I look out of my office window.

Prepping for a POETCD in less than an hour. (Then 11 days off - longest break in almost two years!)

I shall be watching out for a special train tonight.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S73184/2020-12-24/detailed#allox_id=0

POETCD accomplished too; was due to be back in on Saturday 26th but Bojo's put paid to that by fast-tracking this area from Tier 2 to Tier 4 as Boxing Day kicks off. Stuck at home until Tuesday now! ;(

Good to see that 1X01 is again on the WTT; presumably starting at the North Pole, Santa has time for a few winter warmers in the pub of that name just across from the North Pole Depot in West London!!

• Like 19