The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

It looks more like the pavement collapsed under the bus. Maybe due to flood damage?

In fact the bridge collapsed due to flooding and debris blocking it.  I used the picture in this context for amusement purposes.  There was nobody on it, no-one was hurt.  I think we have a British/American sense of humour (humor) difference here!

• Like 10
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

PS - That really is the late Sir Norman Wisdom in the Peel 50 car picture, he lived a coupe of hundred yards from us.

Is there still a cafe(?) called something like "Norman's Place", and shows Norman Wisdom films?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening All,

I’ll not keep you in suspense  any longer, regarding the cricket ground. Baz was right, it’s in The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire, and Simon484 is even closer,it is Barnsley but no cigar. It’s actually Green Moor C.C. It’s right on the border between Barnsley and Sheffield. It looks relatively flat, a bit like Darfield, but between the line of trees in the middle distance and the ones on the horizon is quite a deep valley, in which the exGC line between Sheffield Victoria and Penistone (Woodhead line) ran. Just behind the clubhouse, on the ridge top is a sundial. On it are markings to the effect that travelling east, the next place at this altitude is the Ural mountains. I can’t remember how far away they are , I think it’s about 2000miles. Sometimes it’s that cold and windy up there I think I’m in the Urals.. At the far side of the outfield is the path that we use when we go to Fox Valley shopping, it’s to the right and down the valley side and then into Dee Daa land.

Robert

4A3CEF0D-78CF-4D7A-8AB9-71507C688E0F.jpeg.a6e52a9ab160e01d0b69af9600500235.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... I think we have a British/American sense of humour (humor) difference here!

True, but you must have some American sense of humor; after all, you do use an FL9 as an avatar!! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well, I think it's time to look at a new Internet Provider.

Been with Virgin for 8+ years and recently the line has become more and more unstable.

Would have gone for BT but they're just expensive 24 month contracts.

The old favourites like Plusnet or Zen are both expensive so gonna risk TalkTalk.  They have a fairly good deal with 6 months half price.  18 month contract but I can deal with that.

Hate having to mess about like this but hey, after the 18 months, I can always re-join Virgin as a new customer and get a better deal than I am on now.

I had a fairly satisfactory time with Talk Talk although I found they tended to spin yarns when it came to dealing with faults and always blamed BT/Openreach when it was really down to them.  I changed to BT about the time of the big hack of personal details and got fed up with the amount of garbage I continued to receive about that for some months afterwards. And I'd changed to BT before the Talk Talk hack - because it offered better speed and capacity.I

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening yet again from Estuary-Land. I have been on Virgin for about ten years and never had any problems. I was on Talk Talk but at the time their performance was abysmally slow. Another advantage of Virgin is that in my case the fibre optic cable box is only a few metres away from my front door. If I had to change it would probably be to BT as they seem to be the best of the rest.

• Like 13