The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2021 at 10:28, jafcreasey said:

3°C

NW 10kt, gusting 19kt

The sun is shining this morning and what a difference it makes – another walk of Wakehurst, Ardingly planned with 535 acres to explore.

The week was long despite only venturing to the office on Thursday.  Working from home has been okay, made easier refreshing RMweb (and Early Risers, naturally) a little more frequently than I might have done otherwise...

Another night of disturbed sleep with the dreams experienced during the first lockdown returning.  I've struggled with sleep for many years now, with some weeks better than others, but was hoping that the routine of continuing to work might help…  Alas not to be.

Little else to report, but before signing-off, a quick mention of @andyram's post on Thursday discussing the traditional English breakfast and more.   The ‘reliance’ on the Great Central Railway really resonated with me as I would venture to Horsted Keynes station near enough every Saturday morning, timed to catch the down and up trains cross, with just a coffee and Kit Kat for company.  Such a simple thing which in hindsight I took entirely for granted at the time.  I'm sure many others have similar tales and hope they've managed to fill the void - I know I haven't as yet.

Stay safe.

1°C

SE 13kt, gusting 25kt

Early snow in West Sussex has turned to sleet and is forecast to continue for the next hour or two.  The Sunday 'big walk' is on hold and so Mrs C made us an egg shakshuka with the plan it'll keep us going until dinner.  We'll see...

Very quiet otherwise, a visit to the supermarket the only highlight during another week working from home.

Little excitement expected during the coming week though it's the Big Garden Birdwatch next weekend so may invest in some new feeders and dabble with suet for a change.  It's something to look forward to at least!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

"Does @BSW01 have an anti-Awl protection system by any chance?  Such mention of objects closely linked to model trains is surely very brave...or very reckless...."

I thought he was building a state of the art record deck....

We had a light dusting of snow this morning, plus a very loud clap of thunder just before 7, I think.  The snow has now mostly melted.  I don't usually go anywhere on a Sunday but I did contemplate going for a short walk.  As soon as I thought about it my dodgy foot reminded me of its dodginess.  If I take some parrot food and wear the right boots I  might still do it.

We started out with AOL broadband which was then switched to TaskTalk.  Their service was never very good and got worse to the point it was useless, so we switched to EE.  We still have our email accounts with AOL wih no problems.  There are adverts if I open in Edge but I normally use Firefox with an ad-blocker.

Edited by petethemole
more stuff
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Nominations submitted for the BRM 2020 Awards - although my choices, delightfully, surprised me!

It was white when I got up but the thin snow has mostly melted away.  There is still some above 800ft behind us. Sis, darn sarf (west of Gwiwer) had 4inches of the stuff come down by 1115 this morning.

The pair of blackbirds have been very active this morning, first running backwards and forwards on the shed roof.  They kept me amused for quite a bit! Next weekend is RSPB's Birdwatch so I hope they are here for it, then.

Today, I shall make a start on an Index for the magazine articles. One file almost full, so it looks like I will be busy for a bit.

Take care and play safe...and keep those photos coming - I do like seeing your snow scenes. :yes:

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie warming up...

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Well it was morning when I started. No sign of snow here but the clouds look as if they've got plenty to drop on us at any minute.

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

It was said that if you took off from leeds bradfor towards london, didn't climb but raised the undercarriage and then turned left the first thing you would fly into would be the Urals. Never heard of anyone trying that.

Baz

You have to fly through the Russian defences, the SAM's will probably get you first.

4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I have just discovered the curious case of someone called Chan Thomas, who wrote a book in the 1960s called the Adam and Eve Story, but it was banned by the CIA. Allegedly it was about the reversal of the earth's magnetic field causing a cataclysmic event. 

Must be a very rare book. There's one currently on E-bay for$750!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Heads up for certain ER's, on Channel 5 at 6 o'clock, "The Wonderful World of Cakes."

You've gone and done it now. We were keep that quiet. I'm off to patrol the perimeter and reinforce the pachyderm and bear defences. Now where did I put those sharpened timber stakes and fuse the teiler mines. Might be gone some time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

The forecast sleet never appeared. 
My first email was one useable in educational establishments in the London Borough of Havering. The first one we paid for was with dial.pipex . We then changed to BT internet. I do have a gmail address for things I want to ignore that require registration. 

As for awls I would prefer them to land on unfunny memes . I don’t think the Tom Moore Lewis Hamilton one is clever or funny. 

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Tis snowing (heavy ) in distinctly unsunny Newhall

Ditto Willington.

Breakfast turned out to be bacon and egg butty.

Fixing SWMBOs car was a doddle, and not too cold as a thaw of the frost had just begun.

A little bit more outside work done on the summershed doors, but now snow has stopped play.

Indoor stuff then, ironing hoovering and bathroom cleaning; whoopee do :(

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

‘ee’s still snawin’

About three inches settled. 

Aussie Akubra hat. Cornish Everyday tartan tie. A small child had stolen his carrot-nose and was nibbling it 

C70CF4DE-11C0-4112-BA39-8B9F8EE1793F.jpeg

My granddaughter was apparently most put out when the snowman melted, just leaving a carrot and scarf on the lawn.

No snow here though.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

You've gone and done it now. We were keep that quiet. I'm off to patrol the perimeter and reinforce the pachyderm and bear defences. Now where did I put those sharpened timber stakes and fuse the teiler mines. Might be gone some time.

Oh dear......Bear does find it somewhat amusing (and perhaps a little sad) when amateurs believe they stand a chance.  You ready with Plan Zulu five, Big H?

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

As for awls I would prefer them to land on unfunny memes . I don’t think the Tom Moore Lewis Hamilton one is clever or funny. 

Duly noted and edited accordingly, with apologies.  Bear isn't out to intentionally offend anyone.... :sorry:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh dear......Bear does find it somewhat amusing (and perhaps a little sad) when amateurs believe they stand a chance.  You ready with Plan Zulu five, Big H?

Action stations man the barricades Bear alert.

Just got to find the Hippo'. They are more difficult to spot.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

There are some ex-Virgin Atlantic Airbus A340s doing almost daily Bournemouth-Xiamen flights.

Two of the re-registered numbers give a clue as to what they are carrying.

9H-PPE and 9H-NHS

Pity we have to import the stuff at all...... :(

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Earlier I mentioned the forecast sleet hadn’t arrived. Aditi decided to go for a walk but it then started raining heavily. She decided that she would get her daily exercise wielding a vacuum cleaner. I had delayed my walk until the weather is a bit warmer. I think I am will be asked to clear some cobwebs. They became visible during a sunny spell yesterday. 
It really is quiet here. The dusting of snow wasn’t enough to make a snowman so the local children were not out. It is just cold and wet. The youngest child next door bounces on her trampoline in all kinds of weather but she hasn’t appeared today. 
Tony

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

As predicted no snow arrived, just the great fried egg in the welkin. Some frost has melted, , but much will survive till tomorrow. As I mis-type this it's just clouded over again...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Action stations man the barricades Bear alert.

Just got to find the Hippo'. They are more difficult to spot.

The word on the street is that Big H has a prototype cloaking device (seems he got the idea from Bear's invisibility cloak - unfortunately they don't come in XXL size for Hippo's).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

The word on the street is that Big H has a prototype cloaking device (seems he got the idea from Bear's invisibility cloak - unfortunately they don't come in XXL size for Hippo's).

XXL size? XXXXXL more like it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, polybear said:

A ha so that's how he's getting past the outer defences.

I'm of to tweak the proton beam that The Q very kindly sent me. I'll have to put another shilling in the meter first though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14