The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

COBOL.... luckily I was taught to use Fortran IV  ...snip...

Baz

The school that I had attended was going to offer Fortran but I think that not enough students wanted it to justify the teaching of it. I would gladly have taken it.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, simontaylor484 said:

I did a bit of programming in BASIC and Ms DOS for.My GCSE

No such luck here.  I took a high school General Studies course in "Computer Programming" which turned out to be learning how to punch cards in Fortran.  That was all we got.  I had graduated from university before ever seeing a computer and that was a seven-storey office block full of whirring tapes.  The post-grads got one hour a week on the department's terminal; the undergrads got zilch.  The power in those tape reels might have allowed the upload of a little data in the hour but not much else.  However that was the state of play at the time.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Coffee seems to have progressed from "Camp" brand chicory and coffee essence which was all that was in the house when I was very young through the various levels of instant to the far more refined cafetiere

I rather think "Camp" was the only coffee for years.  Until people started travelling they never knew differently.  Coffee these days has like wine, a certain snob appeal.  I drink any old wine as long as I like it and it tastes good; the same with coffee, I'm all right with instant Folgers, around the house.  In restaurants, its taken black, at home white with milk and sugar.  Always two lumps, never decaf!

Brian.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Mike - sorry I'm late responding to this - have a look at Booklaw publications of Nottingham - they seem to be advertising almost every volume at £9.99 - I think they may now be the publishers ?

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/yeadon-registers.html?page=all

Many thanks, that’s very much appreciated! I’ve managed to get hold of both K books second hand (expecting the second in the post shortly) but will definitely order from Book Law in future. 

Evening all from the wilds beyond the Wall. Most of my day today has been accompanied by the Sound of Sturgeon. I did manage to finish at a reasonable time tonight, and after dinner took Charlie the Labrador for a walk on the beach. 

I’m for the most part a really drinker (Yorkshire Tea or Ringtons), but do usually have one cup of coffee a day. Usually it’s a Nespresso capsule latte using the frother, but sometimes it’s cafetière coffee or very occasionally a coffee from one of the stovetop metal pots that produces coffee like tar. 

I’m not a fan of Starbucks coffee, always find it a bit burnt tasting, but I’m happy enough with Costa. My preferred coffee is from a little independent coffee shop halfway between home and the office. The owner and his main staff member are lovely and I’m missing getting to call in frequently during lockdown. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Scout camp in the 1950s, billy can steaming over the fire, whole bottle of Camp chicory and coffee goes in, stirred round, ladled out into tin mugs, and I become a coffee snob at the age of thirteen.

• Like 9
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Lummy

COBOL.... luckily I was taught to use Fortran IV and Algol when I started at Uni. We used a brand new DEC System 10. One of my flatmates ended up high in the Windows software structure. He spent hours perfecting a thing called "SOAP" - Secure Obscure Algol Programmes so that you didn't have to remember to included spaces and also ;;;;;; in the right places for your Algol programme to work.  Since then I have dabbled with a variety of software programmes including CUTLASS, SABRE ( Automatic test equipment programmes) Machine code, CSMP (simulation software)  and I can still (just about) create havoc in DOS.

The worst bits of software I have ever had to make use of was SAP.. a complete trainwreck in motion...

Baz

I liked COBOL, it was structured with sections, paragraphs and sentences, it was all  logical like writing an essay or something.

Then everything went all object-oriented like C++ which in comparison was like one of those weird Japanese poems that are short and don't rhyme.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I used to write and modify plc programs, I could follow STL, but wrote in ladder, we used 5 different manufacturers products which muddied the waters a bit, Allen Bradley was nice to use, Siemens and their obsession with function blocks did however baffle me at times.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My first experience programming computers was in something called  City and Guilds old code. In 1969 after O levels some of us who were planning to study sciences in the sixth form were sent to the local technical college for a week to “experience’ computers.  At university in 1972 I got about 20 minutes a week to enter programs in KOSBasic which  was Kent online system Basic. 
In the 1980s BBC Basic was used a lot for teaching and hobby. Some 6502 assembler too. Then when I was an advisory teacher various other languages were required for bits of the strange curriculum we used. Logo, Lisp, Prolog and Forth were played with. Pascal was used to teach programming whe I taught in a sixth form college but at the end most student programs were in Visual Basic. I have got a Python manual in a box with a Raspberry Pi but I haven’t done anything with it. 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Evening All,

Bit of phoning around today and emailing. Took Sydney for a walk then after tea I watched the mighty Reds win their six league win on the trot. Then watched interesting tv program on Chernobyl. As a result I’ve not been able to read the news on here but hope everyone’s ok and there’s been no catastrophes.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Bit of phoning around today and emailing. Took Sydney for a walk then after tea I watched the mighty Reds win their six league win on the trot. Then watched interesting tv program on Chernobyl. As a result I’ve not been able to read the news on here but hope everyone’s ok and there’s been no catastrophes.

Goodnight,

Robert

It all depends on what you think is a catastrophes.:prankster:

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

If it had touched the overhead all nine lives would have gone in a flash.

At university I had a summer job with the local electricity generating board. At that time, most of the work done by the department I was in was related to getting the most out of transformers in large substations by adding cooling fans and there were a lot of on-site visits.

The engineers were keen to show off the incinerated cat paws and legs fused to two adjacent high voltage* lines close to a transformer. Other locations had fused bird claws and legs. Obviously it was impossible to clean these lines without deenergizing the lines, taking the substation down for maintenance.

* I don't recall the voltage. There's a good chance it was 110kV.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2