The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

American term arugula used occasionally

Exclusively so this side of the pond. The term "rocket" is reserved literally or metaphorically for pointy things with some sort of thrust vector in their rear.

Mr. Congreve's invention features prominently in the national anthem along with mortar shells from bomb ketches.

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I was thinking of having BBQ chicken pizza, chips and baked beans for tea.

But decided, so as not to cause offense, to have an all day breakfast instead. (No baked beans)

No beans?  Hmmm.....

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

1) Either Bear is “having a larf” or sadly uninformed as to the metabolic consequences of carbohydrate overload. A dish of baked carbohydrates with a side order of fried carbohydrates and possibly carbohydrate rich legumes followed by sweet carbohydrates is gonna - one day - have his pancreas run screaming for the hills (say a big Hello to Mr Type II Diabetes!).

2) Bear obviously hasn’t shopped at the greengrocer for a while. Many salad ingredients are quite costly - micro herbs for example. One of the criticisms made by food campaigners is that the cost of fresh vegetables is often beyond the reach of the poorest in society...

Personal preferences and all joshing apart, it is sobering to consider that those countries that have diets heavy in sugars, fried foods and carbohydrates (with concomitant levels of Type II Diabetes and obesity) have done very poorly in terms of CoVID-19 mortality in the under 60s. 

Maybe pairing pizza and salad might be a good idea after all...

If Bear were to put sliced Tomato and sliced Onion on top of the Pizza would that neutralise it?

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

Having lived in the Chicago suburbs, where pizza is taken very seriously, "Hawaiian pizza" is frowned upon in favour of more Italianate ingredients. I will agree with @pH that it is properly "Canadian bacon" with pineapple. Chicago has its own unique take on pizza beyond even "deep dish". Literally a pie, with crust on bottom and top, Chicago stuffed pizza is filled with cheese and what would be "toppings" on other pizzas, and has a marinara-style sauce on top of the top crust. It can be sublime.

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with how "Hawaiian pizza" tastes. I grew up in pineapple country (in fact a mate at University grew up on a pineapple farm) and the very first pizza I was introduced to was ham and pineapple. Australians are less bound by convention with their pizza toppings than most. Whether or not that is a good thing could be a matter of debate.

My sister (whose first jobs after university were in food science) wouldn't touch this on principle:

image.png.48e2f250017e6c5364eec5fd6ed9f9c0.png

It was prawns and calamari (squid). It did taste good. Not something you would routinely find in the US and if you did they might have the sensitivity to call it a 'flatbread'.

On the other hand, what passes as "sushi" in Australia can be execrable despite access to quality seafood. Barbeque pork is emphatically not a sushi ingredient. Combined with sushi rice it can taste great but please to call it something other than "sushi". Nigiri it is not.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

And so far the second dose of covid vaccine has only been administered to something a bit in excess of 3 million people.  Time to get on with it, pdq, I reckon.

Regarding the price of salasd items - depending on what they are and where you buy them - many of the usual 'British' salad ingredients can be grown at home.  You don;'t need a big garden, or even any sort of outdoor garden at all, to grow lettuce or radishes or - with a spot of ingenuity - some types of tomato and if you are partial to capsicum peppers they can also be grown indoors and all those nice salad crops will brighten up your window sill.   We currently have basil and mint growing in pots on the kitchen window sill - the latter being particularly useful as the mint outdoors isn't really underway yet  although the mustard plants are doing very well (but they are only for digging-in as green manure and are not for seed raising).

as for baked beans with a proper job breakfast I can't understand where this idea has come from as we never had them when I was a lad.  I suspect it's a commercial catering outlet idea to make the meal look bigger while spending next to nothing to get there - I'd sooner have mushrooms - something which a lot of commercial breakfasts seem not to go in for unless it's cheap bits of mushroom from a catering pack.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

So its over apparently. COVID restrictions are off as of this morning so  I can dance and sing and have 100 people at my house as long as I have a covid safety plan in place, which from the govt website seems to consist of letting people know that  I have a covid safety plan. 

Not sure if I still need to bump elbows, no ones mentioned that.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

... charcoal flour. Quite vile.

Umm "charcoal" flour? What is that? The mind imagines ground up briquettes, but I have to think it is something else.

I recognize that most flour is, chemically speaking, carbon-based, but not partially incinerated carbon.

EDIT
I have had pizzas made with wholewheat flour. There's nothing 'wrong' with them per se, but they have a sweet taste which I don't prefer.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

Evening All,

Got up very late, did some business work until 5.00pm then watched footie whilst having tea then watched a film. Finally watched the F1GP. Didn’t even leave the house.

Should have got more done but I’m happy that some progress has been made.

Goodnight,

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Missing word
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The rain that was falling from the skies, continued to do so for most of the morning but finally stopped just before dinner. After dinner the sun shine for a few hours, only for the rain to return just after tea, thankfully it’s now stopped again. 

I did manage to get started on the turntable drive mechanism modifications. After giving it some thought, I decided to replace the universal coupling with a more flexible one. This meant that I needed to machine a new final drive shaft. Once made and fitted, it enabled me to adjust the mesh of both the 2 bevel gears slightly. This did improve things a little, but there was still a bit of a judder. When testing the bridge rotation without the bevel gears engaged, the bridge turns freely without any form of judder. The judder is only present once the bevel gears are engaged. Even making small adjustments to the mesh didn’t remove this completely. So, some radical rethinking was needed to solve the problem.

The solution I’ve come up with, is to completely remove the bevel gears and drive the bridge’s main shaft directly from the output shaft of motor/gearbox. Work has already started, I’ve dismantled the drive system, removed the motor and bevel gear support bracket and reduced the space between the upper base and indexing table. This leave enough of the shaft available to connect to the gearbox shaft. All I need to do now, is make a bracket that will both support the motor and leave the indexing wheel free to rotate. I also want to make a coupling to connect the gearbox shaft to the main drive shaft. The plan is to do some design work for this during the week and then make it and fit it all next weekend, hopefully find time to be able to run it too!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Things are getting bad when the most noticeable sign of the passing of the days is realizing it’s time to wash your basketful of dirty socks again!

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I love foraging, whether fishing or hill walking, I can usually find something to add to a sandwich , yesterday we collected Ransomes (wild garlic), the flowers are nice added to a sandwich or a salad, this time of year Wood Sorrel will be on the menu soon. Stinging Nettles are coming on soon, added to scrambled egg, or can be used to make a Dock Pudding.

Mawnin‘ awl. Split shift beckons, so feel free to overlook the „f“ there… :nea:

Ah, ramsons. There’s a lot of it in the riverside forests around here, and many do collect it throughout its growing season. In fact, it’s sufficiently popular that the council had to impose a collection limit of only one bouquet per person!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Things are getting bad when the most noticeable sign of the passing of the days is realizing it’s time to wash your basketful of dirty socks again!

Well from today those of us in England can meet up to five others from any households or any number from our own plus one other household

Outdoors. 

In clean socks. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 9