RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I used to live by the line to Skegness in the 1960s, and we often had weather like this. We used to watch the poor souls from Leicester/Nottingham/Derby pass by in the mostly empty carriages and pity them and their day at Skegness or Mablethorpe. 

My son lives at Mablethorpe and until the first lockdown travelled daily to Horncastle - always made it to work but some of the trips in the snow were 'interesting'. When we visit, we have encountered all sorts of weather and have usually been pleased to get back inland.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Someone who rules us gives out a soundbite about following the rules, sticking to the guidance and all that guff.  The next day the news bulletins are full of footage of people swarming around in dense crowds with face masks conspicuous by their absence.  In a few days or maybe weeks the daily statistics of new virus cases and sad deaths will show an unwelcome upswing, just at the time when an announcement is made raising the hope of overseas travel once more.

It's the game of carrot and stick. They say here's what we're planning but then you can't have it because you haven't obeyed the rules. However in this game there's no carrot in the first place.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

The crickey club

The late Steve Irwin would have been proud of you ;) 

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

the new flooglights

Are they available in OO? :senile:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

.......who had just left and were a group of ar*s holes who deserved to lose out. The ended up splitting it in the end. Likely an oopsie from a drug sale.

And hopefully whoever lost it couldn't pay his supplier (the next one up the pond life chain) and received due desserts as a result....

Speaking of pond life, this one got a shock.  Might only be ten weeks but now he has a criminal record, which will affect everyday life - even house and car insurance will get hammered as a result:

https://www.change.org/p/will-you-join-me-in-asking-for-an-animal-offenders-register/u/28817225?cs_tk=Ah6sWKBsXme9MoQnbGAAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvBinP3wFyupsVcHeeFIVGuA%3D&utm_campaign=cc8a5b2e5fdf4548ac3626ecd0d398c1&utm_content=initial_v0_4_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning  all,

Bit of a grey day here and only 7°C.

Been for a walk to the shops and then did some Shark driving for The Boss. 

Next up is a visit to the garden to ensure the BBQ is fit for use on Monday......said he  rather hopefully.  At least they now seem to be forecasting some sunny periods rather than the snow or rain they were talking about a couple of days ago.

Some rugby watched last night,  some has been recorded and there's more this afternoon and tomorrow.  At this rate it'll take me all week to catch up.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

My son lives at Mablethorpe and until the first lockdown travelled daily to Horncastle - always made it to work but some of the trips in the snow were 'interesting'. When we visit, we have encountered all sorts of weather and have usually been pleased to get back inland.

From 1991 to 2001 we lived in a small village on the edge of the Wolds four miles from Horncastle. During that time snow cut off the rest of the world from us twice but fortunately being on top of a slight hill we never got flooded.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Same here but in the mid '80s when we lived on the Sleaford side of Boston and our back garden was next to the line. The Saturday trains were often fairly full and I think that quite a few of the passengers were on their way to a week at Butlins; we used to feel sorry for them when the weather forecast was poor. One thing of interest about the trains was that the usual motive power was pairs of Class 20s, which I am led to believe was the last such use of them and as a result some of the passengers, rather than holidaymakers were enthusiasts out for the day and were thus at least partially unconcerned about the weather.

Dave

In the 1960s there were few pairs of 20s on excursions; in fact I think I only saw one in over 10 years. When my parents first moved there, the mainstay of the holiday trains were B1s and K3s, with the occasional Flying Pig, and all Boston's K2s had been withdrawn. The K3s also vanished in 1963, and a few diesels began to appear - mainly type 2s, but the B1s soldiered on for another couple of years.

A weekly SO service from the West Midlands started to bring Met-Camm units in 8-car lash-ups as a change from our normal diet of Derby and Cravens DMUs. I remember the Met-Camms particularly as it was impossible to get more than a couple of numbers as they raced past at 60mph, and it was so depressing to think I had missed all these rare unit numbers for my ABC. We could often try again on their return working, but invariably ended up with the many of the same numbers having been noted again. 

Later in the decade, a few EE type 3s began to appear, but they were never very common during that decade. Larger locos were rare, and I never saw a Peak on that line until sometime in the 1970s. Pairs of 25s were the mainstay, but 31s were rarely seen in pairs. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. When I moved to Burnham-on-Crouch the first winter 83/84 we were snowed in for a week. Fortunately there were few shortages although towards the end of the week there was no bread or cakes to be had as the flour had run out. Back then there was two or three bakers shops together with greengrocers, butchers etc. all have now gone. I was wondering what would happen if the town was cut off for a week today without any local suppliers.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It's pleasant here now - car was iced up at 8 this morning.

Not the G word, or even the D word this morning, but the K word - that's Karcher (pressure washer, not steam cleaner, window vac, or wet and dry vac) and meant that I had been bidden to pressure wash the drive, paths, and patios - oh and then take up the main drain cover and just give that a quick clean round with it as well - then a shower, and WOT more eBaying - but if anybody here wants a copy of Colin T Gifford's Steam FInale North, I've a copy on that site at £13.00.

Generic greetings to fellow ERs.

Regards to All

Steewaty

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

From 1991 to 2001 we lived in a small village on the edge of the Wolds four miles from Horncastle. During that time snow cut off the rest of the world from us twice but fortunately being on top of a slight hill we never got flooded.

Our son worked in York for several years. Whilst there he decided against buying a home for the duration. He rented a first floor flat, the ground floor and car park for which was situated about 30 feet above the normal river level. The highest recorded flood level at the time was 17'6". 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Hmm, two dilemmas for the weekend...

1: Apply for a promotion (even though I've only been in this role for a year).  Last time I applied (just a couple of months back), I was knocked back as I am too good at this job.  Cop out for whatever it was.

2: Sent a piece of equipment off, which was delivered around the 10th of March.  While I said I'm not in any rush, I didn't particularly expect it to take over a month.  Ordered a refurbishment of said piece of equipment and two supplementary pieces - total is around £300.  Sent chase email on the 18th of March and again on the 29th of March - no responses to either :no2:.  Not sure what action to take as I personally don't think no response is fine but I don't want to annoy the company either :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Morning...

Managed a POETS yesterday and Jemma arrived for the weekend. Shopped for "some" comestibles, more to be obtained today!

Jemma made some delightful fish cakes for dinner last night and we enjoyed some G&Ts.

Today, casual, dog walking more comestible shopping and enjoying the improving weather.

4 getting the newspaper, sunny and headed for 20 for the high. Time to relax outside in the sun and ... drink?!?! :)

Enjoy the holiday weekend.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

@Sir TophamHatt  in some companies before getting a promotion means at least 18 months in your existing job. This has recently happened to our youngest herbert where he has been told about a job he should "apply" for.

Why 18 months? well if you start a job it is only after 18 months anything you may have done which hasn't worked out will surface.  Notice that it doesn't happen with some people but the Army used to send  officers to work in the MoD (PE) on 18 month secondments....some of them were good.. others created havoc(!)

Baz

• Like 15