The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Prior to ordering the replacement, I did (in true Yorkshire style) investigate if repairs might be possible. Sadly not as worn carbon brushes had created so much heat from arcing due to wear, that the housing had melted. In any case, they looked as though they were never intended to be replaceable - where's the sense in that?

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

... new belt sander duly ordered. :)

I think you answered your own question!

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... all this for a Teams background ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/04/05/no-clarity-yet/

Whilst my eight Ikea floor to ceiling bookcases may not quite match your document count they are well stuffed with an assortment of mainly railway (full-size and modelling), aircraft (full-size and modelling), classic motorcycle, photography, history and general interest publications.

Pleased to spot a copy of the excellent  "Architectural Modelling" by Dave Rowe peaking out on one of your shelves although I must deduct one mark for "Neatness on parade"  of the aforementioned publication as it is not standing perfectly vertical and is, for want of a better expression, poking out a bit  :biggrin_mini:

I'm still wondering, do I need a Union Flag alongside my bookcases?     They seem to be de rigueur these days in the media ....

Alan

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... all this for a Teams background ...

But you've not sorted your books by the colour of their spine! ;)

It surprises me how common this is - at least for people on television from their homes. It seems to be either a conceit of those who fancy their bookshelves more as backdrop than usefulness or some weird inclination for 'books as props for interior design'. Unsurprisingly the internet is full of examples (and magazine articles) debating the 'trend'.

(Of course on the Marie Kondo / decluttering end of the decorating spectrum there would be one singular nick nack that "sparks joy" and all the books would be in the bin.)

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening All,

watched the match, did a bit of paperwork to the extent that a vat return can be submitted tomorrow and took mil for a walk. Bit of snow first thing but sunny most of the day but cold wind.
I have considered my departure and it gives me shivers to think of what may happen to my ‘bits’. People know some stuff is valuable whilst some isn’t but they can’t tell/know which they are. Sometime I’ll work something out.
Got to go into work tomorrow so early night tonight so goodnight,

Robert

ps

Dave, I hope your dad makes a full recovery.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thoughts are with our members with troubles.

My Mrs says when i snuff it all my books are going in the garden in a heap along with a match. Last year pre lockdown i did manage to cull the collection by a few boxes to ziffit.

I am a bit of a hoarder of stuff "that may be useful at some point" but that is getting out of hand. The garage abd spare bedroom really need a good clearout skipsized clearout. Then there is also the bulk buy stuffin the understair cupboard that really needs stocktaking thats toilet roll soap powder/liquid dishwasher tablets and salt and dry doggy food. The wilko not stocked shelves and various bogof or vouchers been the culprit 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

(Of course on the Marie Kondo / decluttering end of the decorating spectrum there would be one singular nick nack that "sparks joy" and all the books would be in the bin.)

One word about that type of idiot

Bo11ox

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

But you've not sorted your books by the colour of their spine! ;)

Get with the times grandad!  The latest thing  is to put the books in the bookcase backwards with the spines facing inwards so you get a uniform beige look of all the pages  that is 'on trend'

Books ain't for reading!. 

https://www.today.com/home/backward-books-shelves-controversial-home-decor-trend-t119006

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Si Attica is keeping quiet at the moment but I might have to venture into the loft to top up the central heating system until I get the leaking radiator removed and the pipes capped. Just keeping fingers crossed that he doesn't awake while I'm on the ladder. And with that I bid you all goodnight.

• Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

They're the "Mystery" section ...

funny-library-mystery-books.jpg

funny-library-mystery-books.jpg

Isn't that the section containing the secret service files. You know the ones which once you've read them you have to shoot yourself.:unsure:

Night all.

• Funny 15

27 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The latest thing  is to put the books in the bookcase backwards with the spines facing inwards so you get a uniform beige look of all the pages  that is 'on trend'

All the illustrations from Instagram. Fascinating. (Not the 'trend', but the obsession with getting noticed via Instagram.)

The internet - the great "democratizer" of narcissism. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1