RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The TV program on BBC1 is again is a work of fiction. Not that the kick-ball being on or not worries me but the scheduled program instead of kick-ball has been replaced by tennis. At least the news is in its usual spot.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

5 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Although some of us may suggest that the BBC News is mostly a work of fiction. 

No mention on the national news of any explosion/fire in London. Presumably these days, if there are no terrorist connections, or sobbing members of the public, then the BBC are not interested? And even those subjects have to battle with politicians who can't keep their trousers on. 

Some would argue that it 

doesnt fit the woke agenda.

I was just watching the C4 news headlines i cant remember if it was mentioned but they did say that there was hope that there may be a survivor in the Miami collapse.

Footage from the site was reminiscent of archive footage of the Ronan Point collapse in the 60s

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Some would argue that it 

doesnt fit the woke agenda.

I was just watching the C4 news headlines i cant remember if it was mentioned but they did say that there was hope that there may be a survivor in the Miami collapse.

Footage from the site was reminiscent of archive footage of the Ronan Point collapse in the 60s

I read a news report about the Miami collapse which said it took place around 1am; and then saw a video of the event which appeared to show quite a light sky with darker cloud shapes. This might be ok if Miami was around 65N at this time of year, but my maps show it on the same latitude as Sudan. 

The video was reported to be CCTV footage, but seemed to be handheld from the movements of the whole image. 

Therefore, I now believe nothing I see on the news. 

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The Sun has come out and its getting very warm.

Sounds nice. Here it is still very hot. I cut my walk short again today. It was 35°C at 10:00am. Today may be the hottest of the last three and may exceed 45°C. It is expected to be 10°C less hot* tomorrow, which is something of a reprieve.

* Strictly "cooler" but it's hard to connect the word "cool" to 35°C.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

22 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I read a news report about the Miami collapse which said it took place around 1am; and then saw a video of the event which appeared to show quite a light sky with darker cloud shapes. This might be ok if Miami was around 65N at this time of year, but my maps show it on the same latitude as Sudan. 

The video was reported to be CCTV footage, but seemed to be handheld from the movements of the whole image. 

I assume you mean this.

It is clearly windy (based on the leaves moving on the shrub) and the camera is likely exposed to the wind. The location of the camera is right on the beachfront. Regarding the light sky, the area is brightly lit with highrise condominiums and street lights with lots of ambient light. That plus high gain on the CCD sensors is a reasonable explanation without resorting to conspiracy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, jonny777 said:

scanning some John Vaughan b/w negatives acquired from a successful auction bid recently. I love his photos - such great compositions and wonderful quality.

John produced some of the best pictures for various books which happily included those of the GWR.  My favourite author as well and I bought many of his books on his name alone.  I was never disappointed!

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've never heard the term 'bellowing' before - it was known to us as 'windmilling'  (because of the arm waving) and any culprits we caught were duly dealt with

Definitely 'Windmilling' in our area. 'Bellowing' referred to the cry that went up on spotting the gent to the right of the picture in this post when out west.

I'm sure some of you will have heard the shout, if not he appears with his step ladder at 0:45 followed by arm waving and bellowing from the Windmillers in this clip at Goodrington in May 2013. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Many a railway arch has a car workshop within and therefore is likely to store volatiles in a confined space. Fuel, paint, lubricant, cleaning products and even used rages  …..  a recipe for trouble. That trouble will be magnified umpteen-fold if a severe fire causes structural weakness to the arch or viaduct in question 

The oxy-acetylene is the one to really worry about....

10 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I was fearing the worst Bear old chap. I thought you were going to say you were going to have your headstone made out of the off cuts 

Now there's an idea.....

All that is needed now is a suitable epitaph.....let's see now.....

"Too Many Chips, Too Much Cake

The SCR Will Get Scoffed At The Wake"

:laugh:

In other news....

First Class:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-57632498

Tomorrow should see an early doors visit to Wickes then B&Q - I need some PVC edge moulding (that B&Q don't sell :angry:, but Wickes do), a coil of mains flex (that B&Q sell, but Wickes only sell by the reel :angry:) and 2m of conduit (that B&Q sell, but at twice the price of Wickes :angry:).   Then I can change the single mains socket behind the F/F for a flex outlet -  I can then run flex to a more convenient but discretely hidden double socket that will allow (a) mains to the F/F to be removed without pulling the F/F out, and (b) provide a socket for providing power to one of the kitchen wall units for lighting.   That's the plan, anyway....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I assume you mean this.

It is clearly windy (based on the leaves moving on the shrub) and the camera is likely exposed to the wind. The location of the camera is right on the beachfront. Regarding the light sky, the area is brightly lit with highrise condominiums and street lights with lots of ambient light. That plus high gain on the CCD sensors is a reasonable explanation without resorting to conspiracy.

Who said anything about conspiracy? 

The camera looks handheld to me, and as I have lived for 35 years within a short distance of Bristol and Avonmouth, both of which are lit up like a Christmas tree after dark, I am well aware of what the night sky might look like in all manner of conditions. 

I have watched the video a few more times, and my opinions have not changed. 

(The real conspiracy, on which I make no personal comment, would be that John McAfee had tweeted his intention of releasing all manner of dirt on senior US politicians - via a deadman's switch, which would only activate after his forced demise. His tweet indicated he had 31TB of data on hard drives in his condo near 88th St and Collins Avenue north of Miami. Now guess where the apartments that collapsed happened to be located?). 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Sun has come out and its getting very warm.

Its just past midday and 82 old degrees in the shade.  I have spent the last day or two indoors with the A/C doing its thing admirably.  The cat hasn't budged either!  Don't suppose any of us will venture forth until the temperature subsides, although its going to be around the eighties this week.

Brian. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Its just past midday and 82 old degrees in the shade. 

Approaching 2:00pm, the thermometer on my shady patio reads 107.8°F / 42°C. 100 miles away on the coast, the high will be about 73°F / 23°C. 

Stay cool. So far, my air conditioner is holding up. Here, Wednesday and Thursday are forecast to be high 80s F but otherwise 90s through the 4th of July.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17