RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

responsibility whatsoever for any fellow ER'ers p1ssin' themselves larfin.....

If he as a resident of East Yorkshire wants to go to Cornwall it isn’t a staycation. 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I haven't watched the filming of Geronimo the alpaca but I seem to recall that antibiotics can be used (perhaps @iL Dottore can comment on that) rather than killing the animal. There may be problems with antibiotics getting into the food chain but Geronimo was not a food animal.

As Flavio is away at the moment.

The main issues are.

There are no drugs licensed for the treatment of TB in animals (UK)

Treatment is quite complex and prolonged using a multitude of drugs and therefore prone to failure. There is not just one bacterium that cause TB.

As a result treatment of animals needs a licence from Department of Agriculture,Enviornment  and Rural Affairs.

I’m sure the case involving Geronimo is more complex but that’s the basics.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this evening, just cleared a bit more of the racking, nearly three 50 litre boxes full and another three to fill and that should do it. Some garden stuff has been put in the garden shed so the boxes should be sufficient. Muggatee to be drunk be back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Edged out  earlier this week by a 1972 Aussie 4 door Ford sedan.

Unlike the Aston Martin, when earlier versions of these cars, along with their Holden and Chrysler competitors  originally came out apprentice plumbers could afford them.

The press went mental about "Super car wars" killing young drivers which to be fair was a pretty valid issue given they were identical  to the cars driven at the yearly Bathurst Hardie Ferodo race.   500 road going cars specced as per  the Bathurst racers had to be sold to the public  in order to be allowed to race at Bathurst. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-falcon-gtho-phase-iv-sets-new-price-record-for-an-australian-made-road-car/

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Another day out at Stratford.

They have completed a new theatre, replacing one in a converted curling rink/arena. It was supposed to open last year but ...  We had a tour today: 22 people at a time. It is quite a beauty and full of thoughful design. 

https://www.theobserver.ca/entertainment/local-arts/new-tom-patterson-theatre-a-jewel-in-the-stratford-festivals-theatrical-crown

• Like 17

19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

…I haven't watched the filming of Geronimo the alpaca but I seem to recall that antibiotics can be used (perhaps @iL Dottore can comment on that) rather than killing the animal. There may be problems with antibiotics getting into the food chain but Geronimo was not a food animal.….

Erichill 16 made an excellent summary of the situation. 
Sadly, there seems to be no real interest in developing an effective TB treatment (against all TB causing bacteria) for animals. Apparently “those who know best” at DeFRA and the like believe it is too “expensive” to provide treatment that “may not be 100% effective” - it’s more “convenient” to slaughter the infected animals.

Also, there seems to be no interest in developing an effective vaccine for wildlife (a major reservoir of animal TB) - it’s simply more “convenient” to slaughter wildlife. Although there is data suggesting this could be an effective way of controlling animal TB.

I can’t help noting - with more than a little schadenfreude - that CoVID-19 is a timely reminder of how powerless humans really are against the natural world (we got very lucky with the coronavirus: though very infectious and with an approximately 30% fatality rate in the over-80s, it wasn’t so lethal that mankind was overwhelmed before we could devise a vaccine and effective symptomatic treatment. We may not be so lucky next time).

14 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Since the LF test is voluntary - if you have to evidence your negative Covid status you have to take a PCR test- and the result of the LF test is self reported, there would be nothing  to stop you from simply reporting a negative anyway without even doing the test - just taking the barcode from the device- but why would you?…

Because you are a selfish, asocial, ignoramus who puts your own comfort and convenience above your social responsibilities. Like the Ant-Vaxxers and those ******* morons who deliberately wear a mask incorrectly (the mask goes over the nose, not under. Wearing the mask with the nose exposed above it marks you out as a stupid self-centred t*sser of a complete ar****e. You might as well not wear the mask than pretend to wear one.

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

….The knees are playing up.  Port is not too bad and may only be coming out in sympathy with Starboard.  Starboard began to feel hot and sensitive to touch again last night which developed into a dull ache though without swelling.  Ice was applied and Nurofen x2 taken for a nightcap.  Today I have both braces on which offers a degree of support but is of no use for pain relief.  The discomfort is still at a background level but there is a little resistance to normal movement.  

Good Grief, Man. You really should see an orthopaedic surgeon about proper management of your knees (it sounds like you are at the stage I was before the cartilage completely eroded down to “bone on bone”)

Surgical management of the knee (which varies according to the underlying problem) is certainly no fun, but on the positive side you get to legally experience the fun and joys of serious narcotics and afterwards normal daily - painless - bipedal activities are available again.

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Sorry, but.....eeuuww.

Then you had better not move to the Continent, Neil. Most people rent and apart from the kitchen and bathrooms, the rooms in rental properties are studiously neutral.  Plain white being the dominant colour used.

In regards to cleaning house - you will never know the true definition of “clean and tidy” unless you marry a Swiss. Our house is definitely clean (albeit not always tidy as we have a lot of “stuff”), but Mrs iD’s flat in the mountains (the “Holiday Hovel”) is so clean and so tidy it looks almost as new as it was when built 20 years ago.

Of course,  having a cleaning lady helps. When Mrs iD and I were doing an awful lot of travel for work and spending entire weeks away at a time, domestic maintenance was sporadic at best - until we took over our cleaning lady from a colleague moving deep into the country. We now have more time to dedicate to domestic duties but we have kept our cleaning lady (for many reasons - including convenience as well as a sense of responsibility for our employee [no casual labour she - we are technically her employer - with everything that goes along with that]).

Well it’s now light, the doggies are back home and it’s time for walkies.

Enjoy the day.

iD

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

This holiday home in Question isn't the one on tonight's new Grand Designs. Oh dear its getting expensive as its all going wrong. There may be trouble ahead for them

Bear missed that one (though I watched the earlier one) - I was watching Henry Cole, sorry, Henry Cole's buddies finish the Moto Martin restoration on "The Motorbike Show" instead.

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Edged out  earlier this week by a 1972 Aussie 4 door Ford sedan.

Unlike the Aston Martin, when earlier versions of these cars, along with their Holden and Chrysler competitors  originally came out apprentice plumbers could afford them.

The press went mental about "Super car wars" killing young drivers which to be fair was a pretty valid issue given they were identical  to the cars driven at the yearly Bathurst Hardie Ferodo race.   500 road going cars specced as per  the Bathurst racers had to be sold to the public  in order to be allowed to race at Bathurst. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-falcon-gtho-phase-iv-sets-new-price-record-for-an-australian-made-road-car/

Bear knows which of the two he'd rather have - and it ain't the tin top.  Oh look, lots of change too....:yahoo:

Even if Bear could afford a car like that :no: I don't think my bonce would let me do it - I wouldn't have the nerve to drive it with all the cockwombles about.  That makes it a very expensive ornament....

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sadly, there seems to be no real interest in developing an effective TB treatment (against all TB causing bacteria) for animals. Apparently “those who know best” at DeFRA and the like believe it is too “expensive” to provide treatment that “may not be 100% effective” - it’s more “convenient” to slaughter the infected animals.

Also, there seems to be no interest in developing an effective vaccine for wildlife (a major reservoir of animal TB) - it’s simply more “convenient” to slaughter wildlife. Although there is data suggesting this could be an effective way of controlling animal TB.

It does need  effective programmes rolled out and commitment from government and livestock producers  but eradication is actually possible.

https://oiebulletin.com/?panorama=4-3-1-australia-en

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 10

Morning all

What a weird week at work.  Last one today though, which is good as I'm looking forward to a few days off.

Getting some more overtime in next week though - while it's there, I'll take it.  Hopefully though I'll have a paid week off as every position is covered so I'm just on standby... on call if you will.  First one in months as it's been summer and all.

But hopefully it'll give me time to tidy the house and start painting a board game I've printed.

Labyrinth - a fairly popular game where you move around an ever changing labyrinth board, planning paths to find objects.  My version is now 3D.  Will require many weeks of painting and planning with how the baseboard will fit right but should be quite good fun when it's done.

The question is whether I then get rid of the printer and get another one that can produce smaller but way more detailed parts...  that comes with complications of it's own though so maybe not.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Because you are a selfish, asocial, ignoramus who puts your own comfort and convenience above your social responsibilities. Like the Ant-Vaxxers and those ******* morons who deliberately wear a mask incorrectly (the mask goes over the nose, not under. Wearing the mask with the nose exposed above it marks you out as a stupid self-centred t*sser of a complete ar****e. You might as well not wear the mask than pretend to wear one.

Bear suspects the above might not be quite in accordance with all politically correct procedures.....even if it is spot on....

:clapping:

Bear's Sunday Thursday Funnies (sadly censorship has meant that Bear has had to cull the very best for fear of (a) offending someone, somewhere, and (b) being banished forever from RMW....)

In a strongly worded statement the UN warns Afghani Taliban Leader Mawlawi Hibatullah Akhundzada if you continue to commit human rights violations, we will be forced to hold another meeting.

image.png.86caf0dd40c5c1a9afcb04fa69ad68e1.png

image.png.6f2705b9f8053a6e61da46c5405f189b.png

The electric car secret is out

image.png.f2fcb7789bac0f37deef803b75cdf437.png

image.png.56fae30e775f57563714260f928fc6e5.png

image.png.456120f500081414a8331292ebc104da.png

image.png.5272452f173fb2e19fa57fb0e108a354.png

image.png.783323d1394cfa2070cf41d9c7ce9f27.png

image.png.e080e004c6d454ba1ad71dcbca5f9031.png

image.png.31fa2e4dd5e497e32e917e53f6edf226.png

image.png.767ea0d0de274eb401f43ea043e6cdb1.png

image.png.a658f02242d4fec14866659a7307a7c2.png

image.png.075badaa7e4a5b3b32a33a1437f8f070.png

image.png.41541058c85d73c2f695ec729a1cdf55.png

image.png.a692a475b286c059261ed4496b711d69.png

image.png.d027c333395a37058d7bc41d8c7d3232.png

image.png.36affc6c204879e88fb2f5688e7f5bde.png

image.png.7c3813c6f9c6ec58ca5d170e9aa5236e.png

At one point during a school football match, the sports master called one of his 7-year-old players aside and asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"

The little boy nodded in the affirmative.
"Do you understand that what matters is not whether we win or lose, but how we play together as a team?" 
The little boy nodded yes.
"So," he continued, "I'm sure you know, when a penalty is called, you shouldn't argue, swear at and attack the referee, or call him rude names. Do you understand all that?" 
Again the little boy nodded.
He continued, "And when I call you off the pitch so that another boy gets a chance to play, it's not good sportsmanship to call your sports master a stupid ar**hole', is it?"
Again the little boy nodded.
"Good," said the sports master. "Now go over there and explain all that to your mother."

Admitting his 0-4 record is not impressive “on paper,” trainers announced that Lucky, a German shepherd guide dog for the blind in Wuppertal, Germany, is available for his fifth owner.
Lucky led his first owner in front of a bus, killing him. 
Then he led the second off the end of a pier, drowning him.
He nudged his third owner off a railway platform in front of an express train, killing him. 
And he walked his fourth owner into heavy traffic, abandoning him to be hit and killed.
The new owner won’t be told of Lucky’s record because, the trainers say, the dog might sense nervousness “and do something silly.”

Travelling through deepest, darkest Africa with my manservant Jeeves, we broke into a clearing. 

There were broken eggshells everywhere. “This was obviously the work of poachers” I said.

Eating in the Fifties 

Consider the changes:

Pasta had not been invented.

Curry was a surname.

A takeaway was a mathematical problem.

A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on.

A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.

Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.

A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Coffee was Camp and came in a bottle.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Only Heinz made beans.

Fish didn't have fingers in those days

Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt

Healthy food consisted of anything edible People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

Indian restaurants were only found in India.

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

"Kebab" wasn’t even a word never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days and was regarded as being white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly, muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed Pineapples came in chunks in tins; we had only ever seen pictures of a real one.

Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it, they would have become a laughing stock.

The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties was elbows!

Two cannibals sat eating a comedian.
One said: "Does this taste funny to you?"
The other replied: "Hmm. Well don't throw away the bones; I want to make a laughing stock".

Two cannibals sat eating Michael McIntyre,
One said, "Does this taste funny to you?"
The other replied, "No, not in the slightest"

And finally:

Bear's "Thought For The Day":

image.png.83b30d6cd43f3375e2112cc2191f4e6f.png

• Like 12
  • Funny 4