Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Bears should look away now!

IMG_1043.jpg.ae35903b3423c94f34609fe4f98bf9ac.jpg

Looks pretty good to this Bear.....:clapping:

In other news:

Notalot this afternoon either, apart from watching Telly....:banghead:

In better news it does seem that Bear's email is fixed at last :yahoo:

And finally....

Bear has just received an email all the way from South America, informing me that something called a "Peckett" (purchased for a price much, much cheaper than I've ever seen them) and wasn't due until January has in fact just been despatched....:yahoo:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

WET:fie:

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And breezy:fie:

How wet is "WET"? Our 'atmospheric river' has brought us about 3.2" / 81mm of rain in SW Portland in the last three days. (It started raining on Wednesday evening.) It is supposed to stop this evening.

Out walking today, at one point the rain was coming down at 45°, so it was breezy too. The floor of my covered patio is wet too so the rain has clearly been blowing in. For a little stretch I walk alongside a small creek, not more than a mile from its source. It was still within its banks but with very high volume and flow.

Rain in the coast range was much heavier. One of the usual trouble spots on the coast is about 2' above flood stage.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

This one always gets to me.  I think it's been posted here before but doesn't hurt to hear it again.. First heard it many years ago in Polperro performed by a guy called Bob Buckle who was a terrific banjo and guitar player and I believe was a brother in law to Tony of The Spinners.

Another war that we didnt need to be in, another Australian song but the theme stays the same. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The British (or just the English?) are infamous for having bad teeth (whether or not this is supported by the data is unclear).

Anecdotally, I have noted that nearly every colleague from Britain who came to work in Switzerland had “bad teeth“ in some shape or form: discoloured, overbite, underbite, deformed spacing, twisted in jaw, cracked… well practically anything dental you could name. Most, but not all, left Switzerland with their gnashers in much, much better shape than when they arrived.

I do remember one British colleague getting very upset because the (Swiss) dentist said his mouth needed attention. The colleague said his teeth were perfectly fine - ignoring the overbite, the falling over unevenly spaced tombstone misshapen nicotine coloured teeth or the halitosis that could strip paint at 50 yards (or metres as we’re in Switzerland). He was so tight fisted (and stubborn) that only other time he saw a dentist was when a rotten tooth broke and he had no choice but to go.

It really is about more than just having a nice smile https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oral-health-the-mouth-body-connection. So forking out for the dentist seems a reasonable investment really.

The good news is that in the UK overall dental health is slowly improving and British kids have far less juvenile tooth decay than their US counterparts (though this may change if the US style diet is increasingly favoured by youngsters). Of course, this overall “improvement” could be due to the fact that many of the post war edentulous are now/were elderly and are dying off - affecting the stats.

Certainly a topic to get your teeth into…

One has only to watch enough British TV to verify this situation.  Whilst principals generally have good teeth, some guests need to visit their dentist PDQ!  Another British phenomenon, excess facial hair, up their nose, in their ears and bushy eyebrows!  Surely their barbers must notice this - but the average Brit doesn't seem to mind or perhaps care about such things.  To be kind though, things have got much better as times change.

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

33 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

another Australian song ...

Haven't heard that in a while. It takes me back.

Some things never change. The US is to change the Department of Veterans Affairs' criteria for servicemen and women claiming health benefits for illnesses (like cancer) that might be a consequence of toxic emissions from burn pits in central Asian theatres. Very reminiscent of the Agent Orange claims.

It's not coincidental when you consider that the POTUS' eldest son, who served as an officer in Iraq, died of brain cancer at 46.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

44 minutes ago, brianusa said:

One has only to watch enough British TV to verify this situation.  Whilst principals generally have good teeth, some guests need to visit their dentist PDQ!  Another British phenomenon, excess facial hair, up their nose, in their ears and bushy eyebrows!  Surely their barbers must notice this - but the average Brit doesn't seem to mind or perhaps care about such things.  To be kind though, things have got much better as times change.

Brian.

Yeah and the way they come down here with their barmy army and sing cruel songs  about our poor brave cricketing lads! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Haven't heard that in a while. It takes me back.

Some things never change. The US is to change the Department of Veterans Affairs' criteria for servicemen and women claiming health benefits for illnesses (like cancer) that might be a consequence of toxic emissions from burn pits in central Asian theatres. Very reminiscent of the Agent Orange claims.

It's not coincidental when you consider that the POTUS' eldest son, who served as an officer in Iraq, died of brain cancer at 46.

When you see the level of  clothing worn by many Australian soldiers in the clip to that song you can see why Agent Orange etc had such an effect.

Similarly claims were recently settled here from RAAFies tasked with cleaning out the fuel tanks of the F1-11 bombers who are now  dying of horrible things. Footage of the time shows them in shorts and giggle hats and nothing else, climbing in and out of the fuel tanks.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Was it Kennedy? We were"" Äll the way with LBJ!" as our PM at the time put it.

A very small number of advisors were sent in 1962 - they were considered more 'expert' in jungle counter-insurgency conditions than US soldiers, having assisted the British in the euphemistically named "Malayan emergency". 

Larger numbers of troops were not sent until LBJ was POTUS.

Sometime in the late 1960s (possibly very early 1970s) my dad, then a reservist in the RAN, sailed aboard HMAS Sydney (then a troop and supply vessel) in a supply convoy to the then Republic of South Vietnam.

Given Australia's (in)ability to truly defend itself, every Australian PM since Curtin was pretty much "all the way with" whomever is POTUS. Before that it was to defend the King and Empire to "our last man and our last shilling".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the MRC where units of the layout were swapped successfully. Unfortunately problems with the trailer, part of the roof and one of the upper doors failed.. like fell apart.. so called modern waterproof paint obviously wasn't.. soggy plywood.

Tomorrow once the returning layout unit is put away, the trailer is going to have to be covered in plastic till next summer when I'll fibreglass the whole top..

In the mean time I bid you good night...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Another war that we didnt need to be in, another Australian song but the theme stays the same. 

That song gets to me every time.  It's strange that very few songs seem to have come out after recent conficts that the UK has been involved in.  There is this one about Northern Ireland which I believe was banned by some broadcasters though it was not written to be political.

It's called, The British Soldier Song by Harvey Andrews.  However Youtube won't let me post a link or even view it at the moment.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There is this one about Northern Ireland which I believe was banned by some broadcasters though it was not written to be political.

It's called, The British Soldier Song by Harvey Andrews.

There is one by Harvey Andrews called "Soldier" from 1972 - I'm guessing that is the one you mean. It is visible to me here.

Google found another called "Go On Home British Soldiers" (by others). It is also on YouTube, but I'm guessing that is not the one you mean, and is NSFW.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Correction
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ozexpatriate said:

There is one by Harvey Andrews called "Soldier" from 1972 - I'm guessing that is the one you mean. It is visible to me here.

Google found another called "Go Home British Soldiers" (by others). It is also on YouTube, but I'm guessing that is not the one you mean, and NSFW.

Yes Soldier is the one. Thanks.

Jamie

• Like 9

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

When you see the level of  clothing worn by many Australian soldiers ...

... RAAFies tasked with cleaning out the fuel tanks of the F1-11 bombers who are now  dying of horrible things. Footage of the time shows them in shorts and giggle hats and nothing else, climbing in and out of the fuel tanks.

Not much difference from some of the footage examined during the McClelland Royal Commission on nuclear testing at Maralinga. I recall film of RAAFies working on underwing-mounted collectors on aircraft that flew through the mushroom cloud.

Even some of the principals were in direct line of sight of the blast in newsreels (2:28).

No different of course from what was going on in the US at the time with "turn away from the blast" instructions given to US servicemen. The footage of soldiers during testing at Camp Desert Rock in Nevada is pretty terrifying.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is one by Harvey Andrews called "Soldier" from 1972 - I'm guessing that is the one you mean. It is visible to me here

There is another Harvey Andrews song that I find very powerful, which is Hey Sandy about the Kent State university shootings in 1973. I once met Andrews at an RAF Germany folk club in the late 1970s and found him a really nice guy. He sang Soldier and Hey Sandy among some of his other songs; a truly memorable evening.

Dave

• Like 14