Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's intriguing that the word is possibly an origin for the term "Canuck" and that the Vancouver NHL team would choose it given the historical association with early, non-first nation settlement.

That article is the first time I’ve ever seen the suggestion that ‘Canuck’ is derived from ‘Kanaka’!

Here’s the Canucks’ own explanation of their name:

http://teamnameorigin.com/nhl/nickname/vancouver-canucks

It doesn’t rule out an earlier derivation for the name ‘Canuck’, but the team didn’t go any further back than the cartoon character Captain Canuck (or maybe Johnny Canuck) for their name.

(Incidentally, most of the team information on that page is at least 4 years out of date.)

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PupCam said:

I will mention two things briefly;    Bread Pud :)       Hush Hush :):):):):)     Hmmm, does Puppers need one?

Puppers is retired - so need automatically becomes wants.....

(And if you want a H-H you'll need to be very, very quick - like today - and that'll take some searching for as well....)

10 hours ago, PupCam said:

Nice new floor looks good, hall & stair carpet happens tomorrow.

Bear predicts substantial loss of Canine blood should Puppers tread SAE30 from the garage onto the new carpet....

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

You can’t trust everyone to tell the truth, but I wouldn’t want you to miss the party. ;)

Will that be 12-30 for 1pm, at Number 10?  Just checking....

7 hours ago, petethemole said:

I have a Leatherman with a 3" non-locking blade.  

Bear has a cheapo Leatherman lookalike-ish jobbie.  I must dig it out and put it back in the jacket pocket for the next time I need to cut some of those bl00dy nylon straps....

In other news....

More battening today......I may be some time.....

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was feeling a bit cream crackered last night so it was the hot-milk/rum/paracetamol last night before bed and a good five to six hours sleep. Not a lot to do today as I did a big shop on Wednesday and I have plenty of supplies in. Time for muggatee and after checking the rest of RMweb continue reading the novel

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s raining, what a surprise! As it’s Friday that means a trip to the butchers and the Trafford Centre are the plans for the day, after that there’s nothing else planned. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It's some years since I wrote law notes but if my forgettery  is correct, the offensive weapons legislation all have the rider " without lawful authority or reasonable excuse" attached to them. There are also specific statutory defences available for people such as a workman carrying his tools who grabs a tool to defend himself or another person.

Anyway, good moaning from a still dark Charente.  We had a reasonable day out to Niort with the hospital in the morning then shopping.  I also bought some 40/32 trousers.

Today I am off to Ruffec for a discussion about DCC, then an afternoon trainspotting.  A good prospect.

Regards to all especially Lucy and her staff.

Jamie

This would have been the late eighties/early nineties Jamie and suspect it was more a case of 'snobbery' as residing in the Barbican was seen as being a 'cut above the rest' and not wanting the 'oinks' in.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Good morning all 

Glad to see Lucy is improving 

Last night/early hours of this morning Rolo the dachshund has joined the list of poorly doggies 

He was fine when I went to bed I am often the last up this morning we woke up to find he had been sick all over the place almost as if he had been a human out on the ale. He seemed a little subdued before school run but he was waiting behind the door when I got back.

I feel really upset that he was ill whilst I slept Andi couldn't help him. I have given him plenty of water available to him and will see how he goes.

I hope Rolo is better soon Simon.

• Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

Greetings all from a clear but slightly chill Sidcup. No news yet on whether we will be expected to be in the office next week but I can't see it. They had mulled wine yesterday at 4 for christmas jumper day. I don't possess said item of apparel but always happy to chip into the charity jar and it seemed rude not to have some mulled wine when people had gone to all that trouble....

Good to read that Lucy seems to be showing signs of recovery but so good news re Rolo.

And I think that Chrisf will be reasonably relieved that he is in a no change position.

Work is fairly quiet today - no questions from the auditors today - but I don't want to speak too soon about that!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

…..Last night/early hours of this morning Rolo the dachshund has joined the list of poorly doggies 

He was fine when I went to bed I am often the last up this morning we woke up to find he had been sick all over the place almost as if he had been a human out on the ale. He seemed a little subdued before school run but he was waiting behind the door when I got back.

I feel really upset that he was ill whilst I slept Andi couldn't help him. I have given him plenty of water available to him and will see how he goes.

Poor old Rolo. 
When you took him out for his usual walks yesterday, Simon, did he eat anything he shouldn’t have? Was he eating grass? Either of which could contribute to the vomiting.

Making sure he has plenty of water is a good start, but I would also recommend – if he is off his feed – to boil up some chicken and rice and keep it relatively soupy: when he wolfs it down (and rare are the dogs that can resist boiled rice and chicken) then he will be getting plenty of liquids into him as well as providing for his nutritional needs.

If it lasts beyond two days or so (and/or he remains lethargic and out of sorts) then a quick trip to the vet is probably in order. Many canine diseases are eminently and easily treatable if you get them early enough.

My best wishes for a prompt recovery for Rolo from whatever ails him.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Order them online. They usually arrive next day. 
https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Even our local pharmacy advises we do this alrhough freely hands out packs of test kits as well. We asked for a box and were given three. 

It’s Lie-day Frunch-time. The sun is working but its heater is still broken.  The kitchen has been cleared for the weekly arrival of Captain Ocado (one substitute but otherwise everything’s there) with the first slightly-boosted delivery for the Festive Season.  Tins, packets and tubs of items not requiring chilling or eating quickly this week. Frozen goods next week. Fresh on the delivery just before C*******s itself.  And for good measure (also hedging bets in case of a change in circumstances) there’s a small back-up delivery from Waitrose and another from our butcher both in the days before. 

All that remains is to write a handful of cards - most greetings are sent electronically these days -  and wrapping a couple of gifts. Oh - and a check of and top-up-as-required of the drinks cupboard. Can’t allow too much blood into the alcohol system can we? ;)  

Stay warm. Stay well. Stay safe. 

• Like 17

@simontaylor484 good to hear Rolo is perking up, may it continue...

Yay! POETS :)

With yesterday panics out of the way and the reports all "supposedly" provided to the board yesterday, I'm expecting and planning on a POE :)

Yesterday rehearsal went smoothly, now't much else to report.

Today though - the calm before the storm - literally.

We're about an hour or so away from the first winter storm hitting us. Anywhere from 4 - 15 inches of snow depending on the location.

Here in the south suburbs we're told it'll be 4 - 8 by late evening, the more southerly metro area, about 15 miles south, could get 15! :O :O

Jemma and Brendan are due in around 7pm from their short vacation in Phoenix, and aren't looking forward to the prospect of a white-knuckle drive from the airport.

Yours truly already was at the store for a few required items so the plan should be to STAY IN once it starts and watch a winter wonderland unfold.

-5 overcast and oddly calm first thing, still calm now - strange since the storm is supposed to be pushing up from the south. High of -1 forecast

Onward, enjoy the start of the weekend.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Finished reading the novel (the Richard Osman one). It keeps you guessing until the last page, even better than his first novel. Not much else happening today but I'll be getting the dinner ready shortly, bangers and mash. Be back later.

• Like 14