The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The annual updated housing assessments for the province are released in the first week of the year. The entertainment, of course after looking up our own, is looking up the assessments of family , friends and neighbours. In the current state of the housing market here, the assessments are ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

But remember, there's only 357 days to Christmas. Best start Christmas shopping now.

Dave

Valerie has already bought next year’s cards and wrapping paper.  Any cheaper and the shop would have been paying her to take them away.  I just hope we are both still here to use them otherwise it will have been a waste of time.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

38 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Then factor in the elastic relationship between price and supply and demand. 

I'm not making any observations on building supplies in the UK, but the pandemic has made building supply prices in the US chaotic.

If you take lumber specifically prices have been up and down all over the map. Prices plummeted with the initial lockdown in 2020, then supply shut down and as demand for large suburban houses (for remote working) increased lumber demand over short supply drove prices well above norms. The whole system has seen oscillating prices seeking an elusive equilibrium ever since.

The PBS Newshour recently did a feature on the "lumber rollercoaster".  There's an interview with an MIT professor who demonstrated a 'slinky' spring as a nice volatility model.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

35 minutes ago, BoD said:

bought next year’s cards and wrapping paper

Wrapping paper - I use brown paper and string as much of decorated wrapping paper is not recyclable. I am given pressies that are more fluff than substance (I mean, how much tissue paper and wood shavings are needed to wrap a bottle of shower gel? You'd be surprised at how much just gets fired) 

Cards - make my own with a pic taken that year, but ran out of time this year, so everyone who got one got a Four Candles card.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

If you take lumber specifically prices have been up and down all over the map. Prices plummeted with the initial lockdown in 2020, then supply shut down and as demand for large suburban houses (for remote working) increased lumber demand over short supply drove prices well above norms. The whole system has seen oscillating prices seeking an elusive equilibrium ever since.

Part of the cause:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-04/u-s-trade-spat-with-canada-on-trees-adds-to-wild-lumber-swings

This dispute has been going on for decades. The latest move happened in November 2021, when “anti-dumping and countervailing duty rates” on Canadian lumber exports to the US virtually doubled (9% to 18%).

The root of the problem is that most timber land in the US is privately owned, while in Canada companies are sold licences to log on Crown-owned land. Costs are therefore differently-structured.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

50 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm not making any observations on building supplies in the UK, but the pandemic has made building supply prices in the US chaotic.

The PBS Newshour recently did a feature on the "lumber rollercoaster".  There's an interview with an MIT professor who demonstrated a 'slinky' spring as a nice volatility model.

A very similar thing happened here lockdowns  &working from home led to an increase in home improvements and certainly round here there are loads of houses being built.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, pH said:

... most timber land in the US is privately owned

I'm not sure that's true in the west*, but it is true over the whole country - I see online estimates varying from 56% to 60%.

* There's a *lot* of USDA/US Forest Service administered lands around here. A lot of what the Forest Service doesn't manage is Department of the Interior/Bureau of Land Management, but that tends to be ranch land rather than forest.

The USDA/US Forest Service has a nice map where you can see a lot of private ownership in the southeast.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rain was forecast by the middle of the day, along with a high wind advisory. Looking out the window all afternoon, I saw little evidence of these and the day was dark and dreary.

Neither really materialized, though very late in the day and into the evening we have had some light rain. My range hood exhaust has a plastic flap to prevent rain ingress and heavy wind makes it flop around. By dinner time I heard it once, and while there is technically some precipitation it is very light.

The forecast continues to be seasonably damp and warmer than last week's freezing weather.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

As to me, I look to Bear for inspiration.........

Bear's first step to becoming an Internet Sensation.....:yahoo:

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

........don’t want to set my target too high. 

Er, hang on a minute.......:o

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Polybear may have misunderstood me yesterday, for I watched and enjoyed both Paddington films.  I do not know which star he meant though....

Why, Paddington of course.....who else?  It seems that the second film briefly held the crown for best film everaccording to the "Rotten Tomatoes" scores (he was scoring 100%, until some unknown, untalented T*sser  seeking his moment of glory came along and dropped it to 99%:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/paddington-2-rotten-tomatoes-score-bad-review-1234641162/

"This is not my Paddington Bear, but a sinister, malevolent imposter who should be shot into space, or nuked from space at the first opportunity.”  Tw@t.

Well it seems that our fine friend made $228M for Paddington 2 at the Box Office (that'll keep him in Marmalade for a while) - which could explain why Paddington 3 starts production in the Spring :yahoo:

Bear actually finished watching No.2 yesterday (I waited so long cos' once you've watched it, it's a bit like staring at an empty cake plate when that very last crumb of LDC has been scoffed....).  And did the fine ending bring a tear to Bear's eye?  I'm sayin' nuffink....

Today?  Dunno.  A MIUAIGA day methinks.  Tidy some tools away seems like a start....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Breezy start,  some blue sky has appeared and it should be a mainly dry day with the chance of the odd shower.

We had a nice day at Nicki's yesterday and had a very enjoyable meal of lamb shanks.  Darren collected us and then  returned us home early evening so yours truly was able to indulge in a couple of beers, G & Ts and some wine.  Got home in time for The Boss to watch a couple of TV programmes and then at 10.00 I was able to catch up on rugby and great to see Quins grind out a win at Gloucester but it was a close run thing.

I too served a sentence at Ashford but not at the Borstal/Remand Centre :no: which I believe is now the site of a female prison.    I did spend quite a few hours over the years having a pint or several at the nearby District Arms PH.  From 1987 to 1993 I was manager of our depot in Stanwell Rd adjacent to the railway station (before it was rebuilt it's former address  was The Old Upsidings, Station Rd) but in those days I didn't have any interest in railways. 

Today will see me climbing into the loft to retrieve boxes for the decorations which like Jamie I have to take down today.   Deep joy.  Still, that'll keep me occupied for while.

Time for some breakfast before I begin the ascent of Mount Loft Ladder.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Builder (?) Hard at work next door from 8am. So he has had Christmas Day and New Years Off.. he  really is the worst and slowest builder I have ever come across.. 

Bas

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

When I came downstairs this morning and looked out of the back door window, we hadn’t had any rain overnight, which is the first time that has happened for well over a week now. However, it was sunny when I got up earlier, but the skies are now turning grey and it looks like it could rain soon. But the sun is making a valiant attempt to remain in the sky, as I keep getting glimpses of brilliant sunshine. 

Once I've finished my breakfast I shall head off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, as we are getting low on fresh fruit and vegetables. As I type there are no firm plans for the afternoon, but that could change before I get back home. 

Back late. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Put the bin bags out this morning thinking today was collection day. I was wrong, it's tomorrow :banghead: Not to worry as the contents of the black bag are at the very least triple wrapped. I need to get out early as I'm out of bread and as the bakery only opens today after the holiday shut down I need to beat the rush.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3