RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Q,  I agree with your sentiment about Ant & Dec but I believe it was Byker Grove and not Grange Hill that was responsible for lumbering us with them. 

Didn't see that one either wouldn't know the difference...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

…Brown bread is often just white bread dyed. Wholemeal bread is something different and supposed to be much better for you….

I didn’t know that (I suppose that’s at the budget end of the market?)

Do they still make Hovis that you have to slice yourself? Anyone know?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a very, very wet rock but it is 8c.

Supportive rays to TB and Simon.

As for Ant and Dec - I can only apologise on behalf of all other Geordies for them.  The main entrance of the hospital (one of them) I used to work in was used as 'Byker Town Hall' so we used to get the whole shooting match on a Sunday morning sometimes - I presume the Trust charged them so much it was worth the inconvenience to all the people in, running and visiting the hospital..grrrr...while senior management sat at home and counted the Gronkits. 'Rant'.  The only good part from a staff on duty point of view was sneaking to the catering van, which was superb.  As there were so many folk involved in filming they didn't know (or care perhaps) about all the NHS staff getting elevenses from them for free!

Emily Linge - noticed the unusual accent sneaking in so had to google her - interesting background and a lovely singer.  

RIP Sidney Poitier - In the Heat of the Night on the DVD.  Trains, powerful messages, great acting and two of the best lines fantastically delivered. 'My naaame is Mr Tibbs' and 'I'm a Po-lice Officer'.  Great man.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No fuss from the usual culprits last night but the eczema was on fire. A liberal application of aqueous cream cooled it down enough for me to get to sleep but not until four. I then managed to get more than four hours sleep.

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Yes, but at that time I still had my avatar (it was there on 27th Dec when I posted in another thread, then I noticed it had gone a couple of days ago). Chris had set up his new avatar several days before that.  It looks as if adding a signature started the process. Thanks anyway, will try again later.

I recall your avatar had disappeared a bit before then, as had a few others such as @rockershovel who I spotted and told about. 

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Do they still make Hovis that you have to slice yourself? Anyone know?

They actually bake the Hovis loaves in the Local Tess Coes. The dough is delivered to the bakery frozen, defrosted and baked. All the bread baked in the bakery the customer has the option of having it sliced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

EH needs one of "those" telephone messages.....

"Hello, welcome to Punk Rock Pharmacy ....anyone threatening/abusing etc. etc. will be dealt with by Captain Cynical.  Now if you want a covid kit press option 1, or for anything else it's 2......."

And for those pressing option 1....

"No, we haven't got any - we don't give a f. what the NHS website says - and no, we don't know when, or even if we'll be getting any either.  Now go away......"

Edit:  Option 1 is charged at premium rate, and involves a compulsory wait of 5 minutes whilst listening to punk rock music, followed by the sound of someone barfing.....

54 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They actually bake the Hovis loaves in the Local Tess Coes. The dough is delivered to the bakery frozen, defrosted and baked. All the bread baked in the bakery the customer has the option of having it sliced.

Phil beat Bear to it - a scan of the Hovis website shows a mere 2 choices baked in-store, from a wide range of others.  CC will be dismayed to hear that various E Numbers etc. feature in the ingredients....

29 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I'll come back when feeling a bit more cheerful, don't want to burden everyone, but thanks for your support and wishes, they do matter even if we have never met.

Special Beary thoughts are with TB :friends:- feel free to "let go" on here anytime....

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

That was an expensive mistake, unless buddy Ross got one of those very rare Gas Persons who didn't have the heart to charge for a 2 minute call-out.  Ouch

Russ has just returned my shed heater and told me it didn't cost a penny* as he's covered by the BG homecare scheme.  The reset button is tucked away inside and he didn't know about it as they've had the boiler for nearly twenty years and not had the problem before.

*Apart from of course the annual "How much?" fee they charge these days.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Late on parade today due to getting out of bed late. I then had to pick up a click and collect order from John Lewis. From there I went to Vickie’s and picked up Ava, who is spending the day here, doing more sewing. Vickie bought her a small kit of a ginger bread man and she brought it with her. She's now begun sewit, once I'd fitted the fabric to the hoop for her. Whilst she is sewing it's very quiet! 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PupCam said:

Think I'll give the fusion of classical and gypsy jazz a wide berth and just stick with the classical classical.

Emily Linge?   Now there is a very talented young lady who I will be listening to again!

Alan

I think that the musicianship on the former is very good, but it is, as ever a very personal thing - each to his own. 

Emily Linge is a very good pianist and vocalist, who can strip a song to its bare bones, and make it her own, whilst still retaining the character of the original - not an easy thing to do, and she really deserves a bit more fame than she's got - but that it true of a lot of the YouTube musicians, and sometimes they lurk there for years, until their offerings get offered by chance by the YouTube algorithm.  This was the song that came up when I was listening to another Beatles offering by the Mona Lisa Twins and which added ANOTHER subscription to the scores of them that I already have.

Afternoon All

Well not a lot to report today - but generic greetings - I have read all posts since yesterday, and rated quite a few.  Tigerburnie - just remember that we are here, and though it is a cyber friendship, it is very real, and as I can testify from my minor (in comparisn to yours) moans, how the reactions of "friendly/supportive" actually do mean something to me.

Not feeling great this afternoon - was awake at 05.20 this morning, having gone to bed at about 9.30 feeling rough, and having a Q-like sleep - couple of hours, wake up, go to loo, lie awake, doze - all to 30747's dislike.  Decided to do a Covid test at 05.30, just to be sure, but the up the snozz q-tip did not reveal anything nasty.  Unlike 30747's niece whose husband "opted" not to have his booster, then caught it, and passed it on to niece, who only had her booster last week, so is not up to full strength immunity - and he works in peoples' houses assembling IKEA and other flat packs for those who can't or won't - I'd have thought that he would have been at the front of the queue, both to protect himself and his clients.

Decided not to go into town, so the car keys will be done on Monday - have to go out tomorrow, as Lidl have some very well priced microwave grills coming in, and our just over a year old microwave only (no grill) is already going rusty, despite being wiped out every time it's used - things just aren't made well or to last nowadays - although the old maxim of buy cheap, buy twice comes to mind.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning all, rough night, harrowing seeing a mother burying her daughter yesterday, I have sadly witnessed that a couple of times now, not what any parent should go through, death is tough even when not the result of a tragic incident, but yesterday had me feeling numb. This was not a relative but my wifes best friend killed in a traffic incident by an alleged speeding/racing driver in a residential area of Montrose. Never been to a catholic funeral before, moving, can't quite get used to then going to a burial straight after either, but found the families stoicism and belief exceptional, I really do hope they can find peace in this mad world we now live in. I'll come back when feeling a bit more cheerful, don't want to burden everyone, but thanks for your support and wishes, they do matter even if we have never met.

That's what we are here for Tiger

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

….I'll come back when feeling a bit more cheerful, don't want to burden everyone, but thanks for your support and wishes, they do matter even if we have never met.

That’s really tough, TB. I’m sorry to hear about your loss.

Don’t worry yourself about unburdening yourself on ER, .

Like @jamie92208, I have seen (professionally) how much just saying something to someone can help; we may be rough around the edges and we may have our “little moments”  but when it really matters we are here for our fellow ERs - either on forum or by PM. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

There was a tragic accident locally (In Carshalton) in the early hours of Christmas morning.  A car containing 6 young passengers left the road at speed and hit a tree.  ….

I really don't know how any family can recover from something like that.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Sadly there is plenty of evidence that groups of young people in a car are often an accident waiting to happen. ….

Been there, done that, put the bits in a body-bag!

It’s a terrible situation for all involved and the repercussions and reverberations sometimes seem endless (and it’s not very pleasant for the emergency services either).  

Many of these accidents involve alcohol use and are thus avoidable. It used to be, in a number of US counties in various states, that a young person caught driving under the influence would have to attend - as part of the penalty for drunk driving - an autopsy of a road accident victim. This was stopped as it was considered in some political circles as being “too traumatic” for the little darlings.

If it’s a choice between having some little scrote “traumatised” by watching an autopsy and having a father traumatised by loosing a child to a drunk driver with previous “slap-on-the-wrist” convictions for DWUI, then traumatise the scrote every time..

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Sadly there is plenty of evidence that groups of young people in a car are often an accident waiting to happen.

In hindsight I suspect most - or all - of us have looked back to our younger days and think to ourselves "Jeez, I was lucky to get away with that....."

Bear of course was a model of restraint......

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I know a family who lost a 17 year old daughter, not to an accident but to cystic fibrosis. That was about 25 years ago. Her parents and her two sisters went on to campaign for CF research. One of her sisters was found to have the faulty gene but was not affected by it but there was a possibility that any children she might have would suffer from CF. That also reminded me that a boy in my year at school was killed in a motorbike accident not long after we left school. No number plates, lights, tax or insurance and back then crash helmets were not compulsory. As far as I am aware from those from my class at school who I've been able to contact about a quarter of the class are no longer with us. Apart from the (inevitable?) cancer most of them pegged out in the last 5-10 years with heart conditions, quite a few of those were heavy smokers. My best mate in the class, Dave V. emigrated to New Zealand with his young family about forty years ago and I reconnected with him about four years ago. He's now a grandad and about to become a great grandad. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

58 minutes ago, TheQ said:

... recovered a lazy Susan type arrangement with tilt function from its base

Back in about 1986 IBM launched their colour CRT monitor which was developed at Hursley, a UK first fr the company and it was duly launched, along with other things, at the University of Warwick Arts centre. It was one of the first with this sort of mechanism.

The presentation of the monitor was after lunch's and the young salesperson (male) standing up and giving the presentation describes this feature, to a packed hall of about 350 IT type people, as 'swilt and tivel.'

• Funny 18

Evening all 

Been doing jobs in the garage all day with a tip run to follow we have made a bit of progress in there. Main jobs left to do is to seal the floor and some electrical work mainly adding a socket convenient to the work bench instead of trailing an extension cable over the floor.

We won't be lumbered with Sil's kids we did volunteer to foster them before Christmas. Social services said she had to move out of the house and they could stay with Paul their Dad. She thought She was clever and stayed in the house. The Social worker saw her coming out of the house and they ended up being taken into care just before Christmas. It's a right showing up to be honest 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its been persisting down for most of the day but Arthur Itis and his sidekick Si Attica have stayed in hiding. Time to prepare dinner, steak pie and chips, be back later. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

First up!

Very SPTs to Tiggy and Simon.    As other's have said "It's good to talk"

5 hours ago, 45156 said:

I think that the musicianship on the former is very good, but it is, as ever a very personal thing - each to his own.

Absolutely!  It would be a dull old place and all that ...

I watched/listened to quite a few of Emily's videos yesterday - simple amazing!

One of the ones I particularly liked was this duet with another young lady.   Absolutely brilliant although the source material, a particular favourite, gave them a head start!.

Now, the most astonishing thing of all this is that it appears that Emily is just twelve years old!  

A mature talent well beyond her years.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

In hindsight I suspect most - or all - of us have looked back to our younger days and think to ourselves "Jeez, I was lucky to get away with that....."

Bear of course was a model of restraint......

Indeed, you are no doubt correct  Mr Bear (can I say that?).   

In my defence, I wasn't anywhere near as mad as some of my mates though ......

In other news

Been messing about building a "meter" to help time magnito ignition systems using a Wheatstone bridge arrangement.  

Mr Q will be able to give you the full SP on the Wheatsone bridge for those unfamiliar with it.

Then, this afternoon I popped round to see my neighbour and got involved in helping strip out the ignition sensors on his Ducati  Darmah.   Nice bike and although it's got the better German ignition system it's still got Italian wiring ......

The sensor wiring has turned to Pizza flour and has to be replaced (a very common fault).

https://www.rideapart.com/motorcycle-lists/1978-ducati-darmah-for-sale/

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

wire strangling has almost ben completed.. moral of the story.. never trust manufacturers wiring(!)

watched a bit of kickball today.. do the referees get paid?  If they do they should donate it to charity...awful decisions for both teams..

A bad time of year to have to go to funerals. (correction no time is a good time so awful time).

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2