The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A note:  Most of the TV discussed today has not been available to me; most of the rest I have avoided.  So no ratings of those posts.

I bought a pair of compression socks today. I think they were even more expensive than the hose for my kilt.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Launched, or boosted a few careers though, didn't it.   Jimmy Nail is a genuine bloke - his autobiography was interesting.

Bear sat behind him on the BA Shuttle from LHR to Edinburgh (Dec 1985/Jan 1986); I leaned across and got his autograph - he was as good as gold.  This was at the time when Series 1 was on the TV; a Stewardess clocked what I did and quietly asked me who he was - when I told her there were several Stewardesses queued up for his Autograph shortly afterwards......

We saw him standing at the Bus Stop outside the Airport shortly after we'd collected the hire car.

Bluddy hell, that was nearly 40 years ago 😮 - where did it all go?

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Five finger discount?

Five-finger Kit Kat. 

Bear here.....

Today sees a sh*t load of washing day.  Turdycurses.  I also plan to start work on the shelving for the alcove - two shelves to widen (Bertie the Biscuit Jointer is gettin' all excited as we speak at the thought of getting his Tool into a Slot....), two rails to screw to the wall (hopefully straight, level and at the right height) and the two narrower(?) shelves profiled to suit the walls (why couldn't they have been exactly square to each other? Would that have been too much to ask?); profiling of the wider shelves will have to wait until the glue has dried, so won't be today.

I'm also on the lookout for a TV unit with doors on (which still allow the various remotes to work) so all the gadgets don't get dusty (the current unit is an open-shelf glass jobbie - which looks mighty fine immediately just after a serious dustin' session - but goes rapidly downhill from there 😡 ).  Disguising all the spaghetti that normally dangles out the back and is even more of a b1tch to dust would be a distinct advantage.  Oh yes, and it needs to be a corner TV Unit....

That'll do for starters.

Bear gone.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Great to hear about your progress @Kelly  hopefully you will be back to normal stair use shortly. Hope your dad makes good progress.

Shark wielding scheduled for first thing . Once that is sorted I may have a trip into town as I have some gift cards to spend .. or, then again, I may wait for a few more days before using our excellent bus service.

Had a laugh yesterday, our council wants everyone to cycle or walkeverywhere.if you don't know Leeds then there is one bit of a problem.. it is a very hilly place.  In addition they have admitted that when they introduced traffic lights at locations on the ring road (for @jamie92208Rodley) it has made air pollution and congestion worse.. and that is the model they want to continue to use...DOH!

Time to drink my mugatea and gerronwithit..

Baz

PS youngest Herbert has a name picked from one of theactors in Spender as herself watched it to the end before I made aa mad dash with  her to the Leeds General Infirmary 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of a grumble from Arthur Itis this morning but he soon went back into hiding.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

I'm also on the lookout for a TV unit with doors on (which still allow the various remotes to work) so all the gadgets don't get dusty (the current unit is an open-shelf glass jobbie - which looks mighty fine immediately just after a serious dustin' session - but goes rapidly downhill from there 😡 ).  Disguising all the spaghetti that normally dangles out the back and is even more of a b1tch to dust would be a distinct advantage.  Oh yes, and it needs to be a corner TV Unit....

That'll do for starters.

Bear gone.

I have a TV unit that must be 33 years old. It came as a flatpack and has the glass doors. The additions on the back are a three socket extension (only one plug to remove if you want to move it) and a couple of cleats to hang the cables from, and some cable ties to keep things tidy. There was once a connection for the aerial but now I'm on cable the box works off the Wi-Fi.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Somewhat dull and dismal here with outbreaks of rain or drizzle forecast and the chance of sunshine later.  

Currently 19°C and it may rise to 27°C ...or more. 

Spent a couple of hours watching and enjoying the gymnastics yesterday. Those young men and women really are superb athletes but they must be absolutely bonkers as well, especially when on the asymmetric or the high bars.  Also watched some swimming and athletics and there will be more of the latter today after I've taken my daily exercise in the form of a walk.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Great to hear about your progress @Kelly  hopefully you will be back to normal stair use shortly. Hope your dad makes good progress.

Shark wielding scheduled for first thing . Once that is sorted I may have a trip into town as I have some gift cards to spend .. or, then again, I may wait for a few more days before using our excellent bus service.

Had a laugh yesterday, our council wants everyone to cycle or walkeverywhere.if you don't know Leeds then there is one bit of a problem.. it is a very hilly place.  In addition they have admitted that when they introduced traffic lights at locations on the ring road (for @jamie92208Rodley) it has made air pollution and congestion worse.. and that is the model they want to continue to use...DOH!

Time to drink my mugatea and gerronwithit..

Baz

PS youngest Herbert has a name picked from one of theactors in Spender as herself watched it to the end before I made aa mad dash with  her to the Leeds General Infirmary 

Spender? Jimmy? Neill?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s not raining and there is a bright shiny thing up in the sky, but there are also a few clouds about and a feint possibility of rain later! 

Today we are going to RHS Bridgewater to take a walk round the gardens, visit the garden centre and have a drink. No doubt we will return with a few plants, but then if we don’t spend it, the kids will! 

Bak later. 

Brian. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

We have been for a short walk.  One lap only of the local rec as this time it was The Hip that protested half way round so that was me hobbling for the rest of the way. 

Coffee time now and then time to watch some sport......but not yet as The Boss has just asked me to finalise the Sainsbury's order.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Two shelf support rails screwed to the wall - though the second rail still requires two of the fixing holes drilling (the drill battery decided to die before I was finished); I did have fun and games with one hole when the pilot drill (a 4mm masonry bit) stopped making progress; when I checked I discovered that the tip of the drill bit had sheared off - and was still in the hole.  Turdycurses.  In the end I stopped messing and used the SDS Drill on the hole and that finished it off.

Right, the drill battery should have sufficient charge to finish the job, after which I'll fire up the biscuit jointer and have a crack at widening a couple of shelves.....

Bear gone....

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Yesterday we had the first of several companies in to discuss replacing our furnace/aircon units. The current pair are apparently 36 years old, we've only owned this place 4 years so didn't really know,

Was this not identified during a home inspection with the purchase of your home?

When I sold my house in the Chicago suburbs the buyer's home inspector declared that my furnace (which had utterly nothing wrong with it) being 20 years old was life expired. The buyer would not proceed with their purchase until a new furnace was installed.

My current high-efficiency furnace is almost six years old and as related already here, the fan motor already failed. I did learn a lot about it when the new fan motor was installed. I had never thought about it but the flue is actually PVC and there is a blower to vent the combustion products*. There's a apparently a whole start up sequence before the heat comes on.

* They lose enough heat in the heat-exchanger.

There was no visible damage to the old motor, except for surface oil on the casing (where there shouldn't be). It didn't smell like burnt wiring either. It was drawing 10A while failed. The new motor draws 5A under load.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

All holes drilled (is there an unwritten law which states that when drilling holes in brick walls at least one of them wants to go a wanderin' out of position?  Yep, that's a Rant); fortunately I seem (TBC) to have rescued the situation without too much aggro.

Next on the list was adding widening strips to two of the shelves using off-cuts of Meranti; they're only 25mm wide but that's enough.  Both shelves have received the attention of the Biscuit Jointer and one is currently clamped on the workmate whilst the glue dries; I'll be gluing up the second shelf very shortly.  Update: I've just glued up the second shelf and that's drying now.

Oh yes, and the washing's all done.

I've just found a company that colour matches aerosol spray paints to Crown colours - I want to spray the two shelf rails the same colour as the walls are painted so they blend in and are a lot less obtrusive; the only problem is the aerosol is fifteen quid (ouch....) plus another £8.34 on top for postage.  Most definitely a Turdycurses moment.  I've emailed Crown Paints to ask if the paint colour has a RAL or B.S. paint code so I can get some mixed at the local car place and so dodge the delivery cost.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1