The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, andyram said:

unit was split into two from a single unit some time ago. Therefore it is fair to say that there is one pipe running from the mains supply to the building. This has been spilt after the meter.

Can the water company not put a meter on the cafe after the junction. They would pay their metered usage and your friends would be the difference between the two meters. There was something similar for Aditi’s parents property in Nottingham. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had similar numerical grades ranging from 1 to 7 and like your ratings 7s were only ever awarded in exceptional circumstances but it appeared that Americans expected to get mainly 7s if they were to be seen as promotion material. One downside of the discrepancy between our and the USN/USAF systems was that reports for any RAF guys on exchange with the Americans were almost routinely regarded as being overrated when received by RAF personnel dept.

Dave 

My experience with the rewards system of the American affiliate of the parent company I worked for, was very much along those lines. One of my more cynical colleagues at the time said that the difference between the parent company (in Switzerland) and the American affiliate was that “when a team in the American affiliate managed to tie their own shoelaces it’s bonuses and celebrations all round, whilst at Swiss headquarters we are expected to do the impossible and if you got shot (so to speak) you just slapped a Band-Aid over the hole and carried on” .

Mind you, I can understand the American affiliate’s approach of setting very easy to attain goals: when the Swiss parent company bought the Californian biotech they already had their bonus system in place which was so set up that most employees were only guaranteed about 80% of their salary. And with the rest of their income being dependent on getting bonuses, their goals had a  ridiculously low bar to hurdle.  At the parent company, bonuses were above and beyond our guaranteed by law salaries, so our goals (pessimistic, realistic and stretch), were both more realistic to reach and very relevant to project objectives.

I am glad I now have my own company as I can set my own salary, rewards and bonuses. Yesterday, for example, I awarded myself a not insignificant bonus simply for bothering to get out of bed! 🤣

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I doubt it is geolocation Flavio - unless there is some sort of Swiss legislation forbidding unsolicited advertising.

It could well be something along those lines. The EU has some pretty stringent data protection laws and these ads may well fall under those laws ( inasmuch as the website has to harvest and use some of your personal data in order to provide the “targeted“ ad). However, I am basically speculating here.

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One of the local channels has their 'sponsored content' afternoon show hosting a telethon for a shelter/rescue mission* - ghastly to watch or even ignore. ….

* A hot and a cot for the homeless for the price of proselytizing until they kick people out the next morning.

Unfortunately, it does seem that raising money for local charities is nearly always done in an extremely amateurish way. Sometimes this can be endearing, but a lot of the time it is very tedious and off putting.

But I can understand the need.  America does not have a very good record of providing support to the needy and seems to be at the opposite end of the spectrum to Britain where there is still a large percentage of the population that believes the government should provide pretty much everything (which in effect means abdicating responsibility for one’s self).

I would hope that we could arrive at a happy medium: encouragement of personal responsibility yet at the same time an effective safety net for those who truly need it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Morning All

Absolutely slashing down and quite windy here…..again…..track inspections in the rain again today….deep joy!  

As yesterday was dry and for the most part sunny, at least I managed to get the main part of the hay store roof on. 

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

@polybear Your lash up would have a H&S inspector in fits, I certainly wouldn't use it.

Lash up?  LASH UP??  Bear would like to point out that the entire system has been subjected to the most rigorous Computerised Mathematical Modelling Analysis (courtesy of a ZX81) and came up with the answer "It'll snow on Friday".  Panic over.

(Bear actually recalls when the old "Great Empire" was first playing with Mathematical Modelling (at least in the "modern" sense) and it produced so many answers that were so far off the ball as to be plainly complete B.S.  But as soon as it came up with an answer that was at least half sensible then all the Great Believers leapt on it and pronounced "The Model" to be a most wondrous and accurate Oracle of all knowledge.....),

And was it?  WIFAL.

Bear here......

A degree of MIUABGA today - to include insulating the outside tap in the front garden (I use pieces of foam pipe insulation cut n' trimmed, then held on with ty-wraps - I've yet to see a commercial product that gives confidence); the water supply for that tape is already isolated - I've still got to drag the washing machine out in order to get to the isolation valve for the garden tap - that's another job for today methinks.

I also need to plan the next M.E. Group project, as well as to start thinking about a paint scheme for the H/S/L - I'm thinking of doing the woodwork something other than white as I far prefer oil based paint but white has a nasty habit of discolouring thanks to the EU et all etc. stickin' their noses in and pronouncing that certain chemicals are far too dangerous to be used in paint (that's a Rant).  The discolouration happens faster when the paint is on a surface that doesn't receive much light - such as a H/S/L.  (That's why you may find the inside of a cupboard door turns cream but the outside is still white, even when painted with the same paint at the same time).

I may even get some more sanding done.  Maybe.

Bear gone.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

In order to calm a nervous Puppers @PupCam a certain Bear has implemented the very latest full Health & Safety Protocols during filling and sanding activities conducted over the past few days......

Firstly, in order to ensure safe ascent & descent of the Access Equipment (ok, so it's a ladder......):

715961702_IMG_32941.JPG.0ca77942dd43aaa6d6049f8ca72fde01.JPG

- We have the latest hi-tech anti-slip retention device (ok, so it's a luggage strap.....):

1046471543_IMG_32951.JPG.04c493856a81cf91ed3eee3322a3ac47.JPG

But wait, that's not all.....

We also have the very latest in Embarkation/Disembarking Equipment (ok, so it's a Youngmans Hop-Up.....):

510348387_IMG_32961.JPG.116c1e8d248a78439b457beb41139cac.JPG

And in the event that the worst should happen, we have the very latest in Hi-Tech Impact Absorption Crash Protection Equipment......

1895469089_IMG_32981.JPG.739637767b9db015dc23982e07d04070.JPG

There......nothing to worry about after all......

I see Bear has a death wish.

Don't Do It Bear!

If you buy the farm, where will Captain Cynical find another source of hours of innocent amusement?

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Yes @BoD.. makes me wonder a bit...watch out for a pm today about other matters.

Low lying clouds outside. Pah!

Headache has just about departed following the taking of some decongestant tablets and a fair bit of eyelid inspection. Hurrah!

I notice another shooting in America. When will the penny drop over there? 

In other news.. packing has been completed for my trip to the NEC from Thursday onwards this week. Not sure I will be able to help as much as I have in the past but I will give it a try.

I had a reminder from the NHS to book my covid booster and flu jab... disconnected system means that bit of the NHS is not connected to the bit that says I have had them.  (Just checked, all 4 jabs have been registered) However, today I have a phone interview with "Your Future Health" which has been set up by the NHS using a private company to produce joined up medical records.. well away from the consultants.

Time to drink my tea and drivel off into the rest of Wednesday. 

Stay safe !

Baz

I've had a request also but was pondering about whether to respond.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Boy oh boy am it rainin'.

I have to go out in a moment to recover the wheelie bin and that of a disabled neighbour, I may be some time.

A quick update on the nephew, he's taken the kids to a relation's 'in another county' for a long weekend break, to let the dust settle.  The kids appear OK, nothing has yet popped up in their behaviour to cause concern other than it had already been noticed they had been very keen to get in daddy's car when being collected from mummy's house - this has been obvious for some weeks.  Daddy puts in 110% to the kids, he's full on with them.  Mummy, well....you can guess.

Well that's good news at least. The poor women has obviously been ill for some time then. Whilst not wishing to make light of it let's hope she's able to get better for there sake as she is there mother and no child wants to have a poorly parent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s been chuckinitdarn here most of the night, but it stopped about an hour or so ago. So once again, I’ll be staying inside, where I’ll continue working on the new access hole. Hopefully the last of the brick work will be added and I can do the pointing on the reverse side of the hole I filled, which shouldn’t take long. Once that’s done, I’ll measure and cut the timber for the floor support beam, it’s not really needed as the flooring above seems quite firm, but I’ll put it in anyway. I’ll also add foam to both sides of the bottom edge, (just like the support beam above the hole linking phases 2 and 3) just in case I hit my head, because it hurts like hell, don’t ask me how I know!  

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, TheQ said:

HMm I'm a paid up member of the forum and adverts have started turning up😡

Check the “Theme” drop down option at the bottom of the page. It should be set to your subscription theme. It used to occasionally wander. Also the forum has been dropping logged in status occasionally for me, I think it happens when the iPad leaves some standby state. Easily recognised by the Permissions statement. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1