The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Absolutely.  The current printer, which replaced its predecessor under the duress of the latter's cartridges no longer being made but which was otherwise a fine machine of its kind, should operate wirelessly.  It was bought among other things for that reason.  It did briefly operate via the wifi but with great reluctance.  It could take 20 minutes to convince it to print a simple page of text.  Ask it to reproduce any form of image or use any colour other than "PGBLK" (which I take to mean Page Black and is somehow different to "BLACK") and it would have sat there all night doing nothing.  

It's a multifunction device which should also scan and copy.  It would scan all by itself but not scan and save using its inbuilt software which is matched to the computer; it required me to download and use the VueScan app for everything to work nicely.  Likewise it will copy if asked but - should I require a saved electronic version of the document - then I have to go back and scan it because the copy function doesn't talk to the save function.  

I ended up buying a cable in frustration.  It now means the printer does as it's told reliably every time but at the cost of having to unplug my image drive - which I make quite frequent use of - because I have only one available USB port.  

The router is on the hallway floor.  There is no way the computer nor the printer is going to live there.  

Similar problems and much discussion with the company who did replace the printer under warranty but while previous non-functional aspects work it still will not WiFi but works well on direct wired contact.  Wonder if its the same company that a couplet 'father and ...  ' might obliquely be a clue.  Had laser printers for years and as G&W sec used it a lot during that time.   Xerox Phaser 6125 (have some toner available if anyone would like it) for well over a decade but it was incompatible with the new computer so as the use would likely be a lt less went for an EcoTank.

In terms of new computer, old software no longer upgradedand of course losing functionality of useful programs and also previous scanner it does not have a direct USB - had to buy 'new type' to connect USB - or DVD functionality - very important as lots of photographic and other data stored on them - modern ones go on cloud but ... when internet goes everything stops.  Seems everything wants to go icloud  and icloud back-up so US.  Seems like a rant.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I cant remember when I last even  turned my printer on. I know I put new cartridges in it  about 4   years ago but when I finally got around to needing to print something the magenta had an issue  so it wouldn't let me print a black and white document, which I thought was stupid and so turned it off - so its still not working but I've just never had a need to print anything since.

As a result its been gradually shuffled along my bench as I acquired first a laser cutter then started adding to the 3D printer collection, now Ive acquired my 5th 3D printer  the inkjet printer is  jammed up against the wall  and has become a stand for the 3D printer curing station and assorted clutter.

Likewise its scanning abilities - I  haven't used it for scanning in ages, the adobe scanning app on the mobile  phone does a good enough job for my needs, which is lucky given I cant open the printer lid..

Mobile screens are silly little thing s to do proper work on and if you need to read a document and need to refer back to a page its a function of rol back xN pages and then forward and back etc.  This is why proper computers with much bigger screens are better.  Do just occasionally wish I had a laptop but desktop beats thm all for comfortable use.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

I’m certainly not computer expert , in fact quite the opposite would be a better description but………

When ever I have an issue with ‘no air printer found’ I disconnect the iPad from Wi-Fi and then reconnect after a couple of seconds and this usually work.

After spending a fortune on printer cartridges (£50 a month) we decided to buy  one of the ones with refillable tanks. After six months we are still using the refill bottles that came with the printer and they are not full size ones. I think it cost in the region of £200 so has already paid for itself.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Mobile screens are silly little thing s to do proper work on and if you need to read a document and need to refer back to a page its a function of rol back xN pages and then forward and back etc.  This is why proper computers with much bigger screens are better.  Do just occasionally wish I had a laptop but desktop beats thm all for comfortable use.

I was referring to the scanning process I use to record a document, once its processed on the phone its automatically on my NAS so any viewing, editing etc I do on my laptop. I agree about mobile screens, especially when they have a Digitans or something video popping up all the time to play whack-a-mole with - I don't even know what digitrans  is,  at least make my annoying ads Australian based please!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

... proper computers with much bigger screens are better.  Do just occasionally wish I had a laptop but desktop beats them all for comfortable use.

You can connect a laptop to a large monitor and keyboard/mouse and use it sitting at a desk like you would with a desktop.

And disconnect it if you want to sit on the sofa and use it as a (literal) laptop, or take it with you travelling, etc.

With some models there are quick-connect cradles / docking stations available so you never have to fuss with the cables. (This was my old work setup. It really is the best of both.)

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

After spending a fortune on printer cartridges (£50 a month) we decided to buy  one of the ones with refillable tanks. After six months we are still using the refill bottles that came with the printer and they are not full size ones.

Online opinions suggest that tank-based printers are best for people who print frequently (and in volume) but for people who print infrequently there can be issues with clogged nozzles.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Digitans or something video popping up all the time to play whack-a-mole with

The floating pop-up video player (displaying the DigiTrains commercials first, others follow) seems to be appearing more frequently without the "close player" button appearing promptly, particularly with a page reload - like after submitting a reply.

Manually navigating to a new page, scrolling down and deleting the inserted player, seems to keep the pop-up player away (until the page is reloaded).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I stopped bothering with printers. We used them so infrequently that when we did need to they didn't work. The nozzles and heads clog up with infrequent use and no matter how many times I ran the head cleaning routine it wouldn't revert to working. Of course we could avoid it by using the printer, but printing just to keep a printer working seems a nuisance so now we go to the library if we need to print anything (Singapore is like the UK in that libraries provide IT services for people who either don't want or can't afford to keep printers, scanners etc at home). For the amount of use we need it is cheaper and avoids the inconvenience of keeping a printer/scanner at home and using it enough to keep it working.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I stopped bothering with printers. We used them so infrequently that when we did need to they didn't work. The nozzles and heads clog up with infrequent use and no matter how many times I ran the head cleaning routine it wouldn't revert to working. Of course we could avoid it by using the printer, but printing just to keep a printer working seems a nuisance so now we go to the library if we need to print anything (Singapore is like the UK in that libraries provide IT services for people who either don't want or can't afford to keep printers, scanners etc at home). For the amount of use we need it is cheaper and avoids the inconvenience of keeping a printer/scanner at home and using it enough to keep it working.

We've given up on ink-jet printers but we have a two monochrome laser printers that, despite only occasional use, never seem to be a problem. It's a 40 mile round-trip to town and and some outfits still require signatures on paper so it's handy to be able to print documents at home. The old HP scanner that we must have had for 20+ years still gets used too, particularly as tax time approaches 😀

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good Morning All,

Up at “Oh God O’Clock” this morning 😡 Don’t really know why…

[trivial personal stuff mode ON]

• My least favourite client continues to generate work for me. Unfortunately, sometimes with “we want it yesterday” timelines. Still, it’s agreeably easy and very time consuming and thus profitable. At this rate I should have enough for a full sized Eurocopter EC135 by Christmas 😁
  • Surprisingly, Mrs iD has not only suggested that I make some changes to the itinerary, but also that I increase the budget for my post retirement trip to Japan. Even more surprising is that NO upper limit has (yet) been proposed - I wonder what she’s up to?
  • Dieting proceeds apace - I want to loose 27kg by June of next year as I have no wish to be (to quote Sgt Hartmann in Full Metal Jacket) “a disgusting fatbody” when visiting the Land of The Rising Sun. Curiously, it’s easier for me to keep to a 1200 kcal/day diet than the more generous 2100 kcal/day diet recommended and calculated for me for a 1 kg/week weight loss (which is, apparently, the ideal weight loss rate).

[trivial personal stuff mode OFF]

I’m happy to see our Punk Pharmacist has taken in Hovis. I hope they’ll enjoy themselves together - with Sydney as the occasional “Hairy Houseguest” (p.s. Robert, don’t forget I have an experienced dog trainer “in house” - so canine advice is but a pm away).

And whilst cogitating on matters canine, recent posts have brought to mind the old saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” (actually you can, but they learn slower than when younger - like humans). I suspect that, were I to anonymously poll ERs, we’d find - not an age divide but a sliding scale of technology awareness and willingness to use it that correlates to date of birth: with near zero take up for those born 1945 - 1950 and increasing to near 100% take up for those born 1980 - 1990. And whilst there would be outliers, I think it would pretty much be an ascending slope (how steep is another matter).

And on that philosophical note: Happy Monday!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a dark Charente.   Not sure what I will be doing today as if it doesn't rain I will be digging out bush roots.  Make of that what you will.  I dare not comment on printers as I don't want to put the fluence on ours.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Thick fatchy pog out there this morning.

I have a Teams meeting tonight?but nothing scheduled before then.

Updat... her indoors has decreed she needs Christmas stuff getting down from the loft.  Frabjoy!

Positi e feedback frommostt attendees yesterday. The Victor Meldrew fraternity still need a bit of work doing with their ideas and buy in.

I need your mugatea!

Have a great day, stay safe!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

Puppers is back from a most enjoyable mission for a few days to the South West to visit the place where I believe Southern Railway London bound trains used to pass GWR London bound trains going in the opposite direction.   Of course, both are "the wrong railway" so it may only be hearsay 😂

I must say, the Cathedral is rather splendid.

1829529281_Cathedral(2).JPG.441318fd4b38817d0999b07a79bc34b7.JPG

270225258_Cathedral(3).JPG.536089858e03c0108d388a47f71c077d.JPG

801724050_Cathedral(1).JPG.8b9fc0d909c0a90fca8b747dfbd8d4a0.JPG

1112967534_Cathedral(5).JPG.90c1482a4c5b94d7ea9c6eb9489e5b1f.JPG

176848277_Cathedral(4).JPG.ef36ec79c42305dd43d765304e9cd2b5.JPG

Unfortunately the specific item I was after is unique to DigiTrains however an acceptable alternative should be available from Coastal.     Without going into a rather long & detailed tale in this case, suffice to say that purchasing the alternative from Kevin at Coastal would be more than acceptable particularly  as he supported us for many years at both the St Albans & Stevenage shows.

For those that use the forum exclusively via a phone I might hazard to suggest that this division of "Real Estate" as indicated by a screen-grab from my phone is completely unacceptable.    I'll say no more on this subject ...

RMWeb.png.06243f39e972e5cecea6112e5a2df65a.png

If the Amazon bod asked me for ID after I've answered my own front door he'd be taking the goods back with him .....

TTFNQ

Alan

as it was an order for SWMBO... I'd have been following him very shortly after...

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BoD said:

image.jpeg.7aba6ed48535739d1dc3a9f67efe552e.jpeg

Ah yes, the only things known to man than can rattle your trouser legs* in the same way as standing next to a Deltic as it pulls away can.  Both are wonderful.

*I guess it will be the same for skirts. I’ve never tried.

I can point you in the direction of various Kilt hiring companies...

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I can point you in the direction of various Kilt hiring companies...

Or to our kilt-wearing ER(s); there may be more than one. 

The draught on those things is quite something. Organ pipes I mean, not kilts. 

Good morning all. It appears to be Moan-day. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl..

4.5 hour sleep, Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong awake, an hours sleep, meaning I was a touch late getting up.

Ben the alarm clock Collie was on strike, firmly stuck in his pit, He didn't move till I went to the door, then he came out with me.. But half way down the garden stopped and wanted reassurance. Then he went on a little way, stopped for more reassurance, then decided he wanted back to the house..

This gave the car time to defrost as it was Ice cube time, with late rain last night followed by a heavy frost..

Cockwomble of the day award goes to the cyclist who cycled through red.. It was at an offset crossroads where you have to depend on the traffic lights, as you can't see round all the corners, he nearly got flattened..

Arrived a little late, just as the first flight was blasting off from the runway..

I've been considering printers, we've a colour A3 inkjet printer that hasn't been used for years. I'm going to have to see if I can revive that, as it's only 16 days inc today till I can no longer used the company A3 laser colour printers. If it doesn't revive, then it looks like a laser printer will be required, as they are from what I can find, are the most suitable for intermittent use.

My replacement has been issued with a laptop computer,  two full size screens plus accompanying hardware to make it all work.. They are going away from desktops here..

Slight delay here, as I went to collect this weeks major system and roll it into this lab. Now zeroing it and various  other bits of test equipment. I must admit when I first zero'd a Fluke 752A Reference Divider in the RAF in 1978 (three years after I first started work), I didn't think I'd be doing the same just days before retiring..

No trainee this week, as he's having his use it or lose it weeks holiday..

zeroing complete

Time to get on with it..

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PeterBB said:

In terms of new computer, old software no longer upgraded and of course losing functionality of useful programs and also previous scanner it does not have a direct USB - had to buy 'new type' to connect USB - or DVD functionality - very important as lots of photographic and other data stored on them - modern ones go on cloud but ... when internet goes everything stops.  Seems everything wants to go icloud  and icloud back-up so US.  Seems like a rant.

Bear has a Brother Printer; it'll play with dodgy cartridges with no problem (it knows it has them fitted) and I'll always use a USB connection - I don't print much (postage labels are the most common) so carrying the laptop upstairs to the muddlin' room to hook it up is no big deal.  I believe it will do wireless printing but I never bother with that.

As for saving things to cloud - not this Bear.  I want to be sure I have full control over all my stuff (a "sorry" from some Big Company to say the lot has been lost cos' their wotsit packed up/caught fire/got nicked etc. doesn't really cut it with this Bear) - just ask AndyY about that side of things (it seems RMWeb photos are lost forever).

I also don't trust other companies when it comes to security - you never know who may be searching through files etc.

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I stopped bothering with printers. We used them so infrequently that when we did need to they didn't work. The nozzles and heads clog up with infrequent use and no matter how many times I ran the head cleaning routine it wouldn't revert to working. 

Bear's printer occasionally "does something" at periodic intervals in order to keep the nozzles in working order.  So far, so good......

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:
  • Surprisingly, Mrs iD has not only suggested that I make some changes to the itinerary, but also that I increase the budget for my post retirement trip to Japan. Even more surprising is that NO upper limit has (yet) been proposed - I wonder what she’s up to?

Mrs iD's planning on coming along......

Bear here.....

Today sees the filling of coving joints and various holes in walls.  That'll do for starters.

It seems to have turned bluddy cold all of a sudden - I've yet to employ the services of the gas fire or CH in any way, instead relying on being coverd by "The Cuddly Blanket" to keep warm in the evenings and first thing in the morning whilst checkin' the 'net and scoffin' brekkies.  Fortunately I'm not one of those who just can't pay the G&E Bill (that'll be those bills that EDF fail to send...) but see it more as a case of "why should I give those robbin' b'sterds any of my money when they're takin' the p1ss on prices**??"  There will come a time when the threat of icicles on dangly bits take precedence on principles though, and this Bear suspects that principles will soon be heading out of the window....

Bear gone.

**G&E Bill = a whole fleet of Deltics

• Like 12
  • Agree 3