Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

33 forecast for today, finally t-shirt weather!

Same temperature here as the seasons cross over.

It was the first home game for the local high school football team. Well worth the $6.00. The game was won and the team is 3-0. Nice on a warm early Autumn night.

Having said that. They installed a new video scoreboard/display over the summer. I think some students must have been operating it. What a debacle.

They had the opening few seconds of about four songs (which I understand does not require the payment of royalty fees to play). Imagine if you will, the opening few seconds of Ozzy's "Crazy Train", and AC/DC's "TNT", played over and over and over - when they shouldn't have been (like while the center was over the ball ready for the snap). Or they would hit the play button while the band was playing or the cheer squad were doing their bit. Thoroughly amateur hour. At one point the band was trying to play "War Pigs" over the opening to "Crazy Train" which was a bit surreal.

Eventually (by about the fourth quarter) they stopped. (I'm imagining he principal storming up to the control room.) By then, when it was quieter, some wag in the back of the grandstand would randomly yell "T. N, T." which was pretty funny.

And there was a separate problem with the play announcing. Periodically a much delayed version would be audible over the PA, announcing plays from minutes before - which of course no longer matched the current play.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

44 minutes ago, polybear said:

ION.....

Many thanks regarding window films; the Film I've been looking at is 3M Prestige 70 Film, so a known supplier that appears to tick most/all of the boxes that Chimpy has raised.  As regards blinds/curtains - I have interior vertical blinds that spend much of their time closed anyway in order to minimise fading on the pictures hanging in the room; exterior shutters etc. would be a right PITA to install and use - and I wouldn't want to leave them closed.  Yes, leccy ones are available but the cost & installation aggro just isn't worth it.  As I can do the 3M Film option for less than 1/3rd of a Deltic I may well give it a punt.

BG

Do you have roof insulation? That makes a huge difference. 

I can also recommend ducted air-conditioning. Currently 32 degrees outside, 20 degrees inside!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Ceiling fans are very good. They're a standard fit here and unless it's stinking hot a combination of designing buildings with the climate in mind and ceiling fans keeps rooms comfortable. The issue here isn't heat, it's humidity. Temperature really doesn't get that high as long as you keep out of the sun. High 20's to low 30's is normal, but very high humidity is a constant. Summer in England can be hotter than Singapore, but because the warmth and humidity is constant the country is built around it. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 minute ago, jjb1970 said:

Ceiling fans are very good. They're a standard fit here

I wish I had one in my bedroom - I didn't think of it at the time. It would be a very awkward retrofit and would probably need the ceiling and some wall redone to fish the wiring.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's not like it is liver and kidney cake. (And yes that's basically Haggis-adjacent but we are discussing cake.)

Or cake containing beetroot.  I don't understand the fad for putting vegetables in cake. It was ok in WW2 where a bit of grated carrot in a cake improved moistness and added sugar too when rationing restricted traditional cake ingredients, but now there's no need!

But cake with lemon, or pineapple UDC*, or coffee and walnut, or ginger....

Mmmmmm!

* Might require disambiguation**, but hey!

** eg Uban District Council

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Hopefully not quite that far North. We are much further South and we don't need it.

Altitude and lakes help. At 45°N, sea-level, and 11:00pm, my ducted A/C is running right now to get the house to a comfortable sleeping temperature. It's on a program to hit 22°C. (It's not absolutely necessary. The outside temperature is probably around 24°C right now.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or cake containing beetroot.  I don't understand the fad for putting vegetables in cake. It was ok in WW2 where a bit of grated carrot in a cake improved moistness when rationing restricted traditional cake ingredients, but now there's no need!

Mmmmmm!

Beetroot cake does sound disgusting. Carrot cake (with cream cheese frosting) is delicious.

UDC sounds like an infection in one's plumbing - but upside down cake is very nice.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Altitude and lakes help. At 45°N, sea-level, and 11:00pm, my ducted A/C is running right now to get the house to a comfortable sleeping temperature. It's on a program to hit 22°C. (It's not absolutely necessary. The outside temperature is probably around 24°C right now.)

Yes, but 53 North and never far from the sea?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What is the matter @polybear? Do you need a lie down. Coffee and walnut cake is delicious. It is cake. It has nice things in it. What's not to like?

Let's see now......

Coffee (huge, huge No-No)

Walnut (just about ok on top cos' you can pick the bits off, though diddly bits on top are bearable)

43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or cake containing beetroot.  I don't understand the fad for putting vegetables in cake. It was ok in WW2 where a bit of grated carrot in a cake improved moistness when rationing restricted traditional cake ingredients, but now there's no need!

Mmmmmm!

* Might require disambiguation, but hey!

Bear has Co-op Carrot Cake when it's on offer - though I've yet to discover any lumps of carrot in it, which is probably A Very Good Thing as I'd start to wonder where they were sourced.....

Right, dangle time.....

BG

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What is the matter @polybear? Do you need a lie down. Coffee and walnut cake is delicious. It is cake. It has nice things in it. What's not to like?

It's not like it is liver and kidney cake. (And yes that's basically Haggis-adjacent but we are discussing cake.)

He’s a bit funny when it comes to cake: apart from not eating anything with coffee or walnuts in (which is, admittedly, but a small part of patisserie), he also detests cream - which immediately puts a huge slice of the wonderful world of patisserie out of his reach.

Stick to coffee, walnut and whipped cream cakes and your “afternoon tea” will be guaranteed “Bear Free”

I am not enthusiastic about vegan coffee and walnut cake, for the simple reason that in order to replace the eggs and butter in a cake you have to resort to a whole cauldron of chemical concoctions. Why go for a chemical substitute when there are quite a few cake recipes that are entirely vegan and use no substitutes - such as this recipe for a chestnut cake from Tuscany https://www.giallozafferano.com/recipes/Tuscan-chestnut-cake-Castagnaccio.html (it’s also good for people who are gluten intolerant).

OK, the cake is traditionally served with some sweet ricotta, but the cake itself has no dairy or eggs and you could replace the ricotta with a soft fruit (blackberries might work well here).

People may be surprised to learn that I eat a fair amount of “vegan” food, but the thing is I don’t think of myself as eating “vegan” food, just traditional food that does not contain meat, fish or dairy. Things like spaghetti olio aglio e peperoncini, pasta alla puttanesca, dhal and so on; with not one gram of fake meat or dairy to be seen.

Given the current health concerns about UPF (Ultra Processed Foods and that most definitely covers meat and dairy substitutes), it might be best to look to traditional Italian, Indian and Asian food for non-meat, non-dairy dishes.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Root vegetables contain a lot of sugars, don't forget that most of our sugar comes from sugar beet. Beetroot contains as much sugar if not more than carrots so why not use it in cakes? Got to get ready for the visit to the Shenfield exhibition, be back later.

• Like 15