The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Certainly, and routinely I would think.

9,000m (~30,000') is well under 12,000m (~40,000').

CB’s achieving 40,000ft tops are not uncommon in temperate climate areas, 60,000ft in sub tropical and tropical zones, ie, into the tropopause. There have been aircraft damaged by hail at 45k. There was a BMI aircraft that took severe damage at altitude from hail a few years back en route in Europe. I remember this one happening at Geneva https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/137003

Looking at @jjb1970’s pic some of the darkness I think may be polarising from the window coatings, but there’s certainly cirrostratus, and some cirrocumulus in that image above the aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up in the middle of the night with Arthur Itis going hammer and tongs. I took a couple of Nurofen but it took about an hour before I got back to sleep. As a result I didn't wake up until almost eight. But by then the Nurofen had done its thing and Arthur Itis was back in his den.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Certainly, and routinely I would think.

9,000m (~30,000') is well under 12,000m (~40,000').

I did say well above  30,000 feet, as in probably up to 40,000 feet or maybe even above. I've been climbing to about 35,000 and the thunderheads have been developing faster than I was climbing.

Dave

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1