The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not happening here - except on University campuses and EDIT: the Starbucks Workers United union.

The Israel question is too thorny for me to discuss here. I have been to Israel (more than once). I have Israeli colleagues. I have dined in a cafeteria that was subsequently damaged (not very much, by Hamas, or Hezbollah, I don't remember which) rockets. I've had meetings in conference rooms that double as bomb/gas shelters.

And it's not just Gaza. It's the West Bank 'settlements' and the Wall and the collision between the secular and the religious, liberal progressivism and ultra-right wing hard-liners and epitomized by Andy Grove's (at one point CEO of Intel) business motto - "Only the paranoid survive".

Israel/Palestine is a geographic nexus of three continents - a crossroads of conquest since pre-history, which sadly fates it for turmoil.

I was on an offshore vessel working out of Ashdod and Abu Qir for a few years in the early 00's. We alternated drilling Wells in the Israeli and Egyptian offshore sectors. I was in Abu Qir (a suburb of Alexandria) on 9/11. 

Even then Israeli society was deeply divided in a way not normal for most countries. Many countries are split to some degree on party political and/or left/right lines. In Israel the split was much more fundamental and also more fractured. The obvious one and that which tends to get most attention was religious vs. largely secular Jewish people but to me an equally significant split  was between Israeli's either indigenous to the Middle East or descended from early returning Jewish people, and recent immigrants. The differences in social and political attitudes was equivalent to that between maga republicans and the squad element of the Democrats. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Watched some of the rugby last night. Lots of players off side, forgetting to release the ball having hit the ground etc but it was all a bit scrappy. @grandadbobwill need to explain the latest laws to me...

Maim them before they Maim you.  Killing is optional.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Ah, Vinyl roofs.  Well one saved painting the roof of my Austin Seven (Mini) and I still have the offcuts to this day.   I'm not certain why! 🤣

For the same reason the rest of us do such things:

"Might come in handy one day"

- and sometimes they do......

• Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept very well again last night with only one trip to the bathroom. Had a good lie in and shortly I will have a good soak in the bath. @DaveF Your problem could also be a kidney stone, whatever it is the medics will be able to deal with it. The important thing is getting it seen to ASAP.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

@monkeysarefun The later Metro's weren't too bad but by then BL was on its knees. It also suffered from the Mini's popularity. It was intended to replace the Mini but the demand for the Mini was so great that it remained in production alongside the Metro.

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

In its day the Metro was an excellent car, superb packaging which gave it a bit of a TARDIS feel when it first came out. However Rover kept it going long past its sell by date.

As I said above the Mini was in production for 41 years and something like 5.3 million were made worldwide including commercials and the Mini Moke. That was the problem for the Metro, the Mini extracted sales from it.

https://joltfreak.tripod.com/id10.html

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

39 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

PR6.jpg.7c9727fd0abf7e113f31d5b32931d697.jpg

Has  this one had coilovers fitted? The back looks pretty lowrider!

As a reference,  this was at the show.

PXL_20231014_224948552.jpg.12a226c3be5fdce55080f76ebdca0e72.jpg

Now, I don't know when you would ever need to take advantage of your cars suspensions ability to do this, perhaps if a brown snake appeared on the road ahead,  your car  could rear up like a horse  when a rattlesnake pops up like in those cowboy movies made in the olden days. 

But come to think about it in those movies   the good looking lady is thrown to the ground and breaks her back, so it'd be better to have a normal car and just run over the pr1ck.

No stars.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

34 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

image.png.e84fbeb1fc21b26683fcf9776c2a7207.png

And if your daughter's date for the evening arrived in a car like this, would you let her go?

At the drive-in that popup thing would be torched by angry patrons parked behind it! 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny...and getting warm! 8.9C. 🤪

More of the W word outside, this afternoon, then. I am hoping to get a walk in as well. 

In the meantime, I have a cutlery drawer to attend to - much overdue! I have started so I will HAVE to finish!

Toot on the flute sort of progressing. It appears that most of the lines in the current song are repeated. Not having done so from the start means I am having to retrain the brain cells to go back to the beginning of the line instead of going straight onto the next one. One benefit lies in the extra stamina I should acquire to keep going and I am barely half way through with adding the twiddly bits. At least, I have made a start on line 6, the last line of the first of two sections.

Off for a mugadecaf before getting down to things.

Take care. Be good. Keep warm/comfortable.

Polly

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

@monkeysarefun.. as it happens her indoors liked Metros. The first one was a brand new Metro City (had a full wiring loom you just had to fit the reversing light microswitch and bulbs..  that took no time at all.

That one lasted a long time then she had a red Metro 1l (written off when a dog hit it at 60mph) then a gold 1.3l one, then another red one.

Lots of fun, easy to fix and plenty of space.

Always wanted a drive of the rally car.. never got the chance.

Never fancied a "muscle car" I would rather have a proper car which oozes elegance and refinement.. a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo RLfor example .. 0lentynof power without looking mechanically challeng3d.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. When I got out of bed I went straight outside to make the most of the sunshine and do some work in the garden. Currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having well earned muggertea. So far I've swept up a few leaves and cleaned the back of the workshop, if the weather remains nice tomorrow I'm hoping to give it a light sanding and perhaps a coat of paint. 

Back later 

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

My mother had a Rover 100, after it was renamed. The design was long in the tooth by then but it was still a surprisingly practical and well packaged small car. She gad one with a very small engine but it was perfectly fine in town and would sit at 60 or 70 out of town well enough. Despite the jokes it was faultless too. I  noticed my father had passed on, he swore never to buy another BL or successors car after a bad experience with a Marina which was pretty much water soluble.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@monkeysarefun.. as it happens her indoors liked Metros. The first one was a brand new Metro City (had a full wiring loom you just had to fit the reversing light microswitch and bulbs..  that took no time at all.

That one lasted a long time then she had a red Metro 1l (written off when a dog hit it at 60mph) then a gold 1.3l one, then another red one.

I never realised dogs could run that fast.

14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Always wanted a drive of the rally car.. never got the chance.

They did an MG Metro 1.3(?) Turbo as well

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6