The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I fear this will be a rant, it may resonate with the engineers and scientists on RMWeb, or anyone involved in standards.

I am part of a correspondence group which is supposed to be developing certain GHG guidelines, and if this is indicative of current state of international bodies it's no wonder the world is so messed up, it has hit two of my pet hate buttons - type approval and metrology.

People use type approval as a magic wand. Carbon capture and storage? Just say systems have to be type approved. What type approval? Type approved for what? I'll offer some free advice, if ever anybody uses 'it's type approved' to sell you something or claim it's tip top, ask for the TA certificate and read what it says. Most TA is what in LR we called 'shake and bake' (i.e. the equipment is suitable for a defined temperature, humidity and some degree of resistance to vibration and shock), it says nothing about whether it actually works, or accuracy. If the TA does reference accuracy or utility then read the conditions of approval very carefully as I'd wager that most do not install in accordance with the conditions of approval or maintain through life checks needed to maintain approval. I used to see all sorts of stuff sent to ships for which the TA standard explicitly excluded marine use being sold as 'type approved'. More fundamentally, some of the stuff for which TA is apparently a panacea doesn't have any TA standards or processes, so then what?

And metrology is perhaps the most neglected branch of science and engineering, woefully undertaught in schools. For those not familiar, metrology is the science of measurement. It appears to be a subject so obvious that few bother studying it, yet is is one of the most fundamental branches of science as if you don't measure accurately and in a manner which is consistent and repeatable then you will dig yourself into a black hole very quickly. It's very obvious many people are completely clueless on the subject, and these are the first people who'd climb on a high horse when auditors and surveyors start asking for guidance on what is acceptable in terms of uncertainty, tolerance, what measurement methods are acceptable etc and dismissed as being awkward.

Rant off. Sorry.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Today? No jobs to do, so that means more lessons....

I've still got absolutely no little idea as regards a tr*ck plan though.  Poo.  I have discovered how to do a basic room outline/size on Templ*t - though the actual room is L-shaped (sort of) so I must investigate that further today.  I've also discovered how to add baseboards to the "room", which of course means the next step will be "Oh sh1t", that doesn't fit - TC's" when I try to actually fit anything on the boards.....

ION....

The NHS....

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-67145869

And finally......

British architecture at it's best?  Poke it...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67105475

BG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Currently the NHS in Leeds are sub contracting private health care providers to undertake things like hip and knee replacements.. this is not new but will reduce the waiting lists..

Baz

I also see that the private health insurers are reporting a 40% jump in GP consultations. Market forces in action.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only one interruption by bladder control last night but I woke up at 06:30 and decided to get up. Watched that program last night, shows what a railway modeller can achieve with enough space and money. Envy, not really the time and effort in keeping that layout up to scratch must be enormous. The 165 feet long layout for the Chester Cathedral exhibition looks interesting though.

• Like 17