Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary to Brian and Sheila!

not a curry but perhaps a Bombay Sapphire could be enjoyed with the curry?

We managed to get a sensible price for insuring our cars.. it was easy .. her indoors "talked" with them...

I have to do a bit of financial juggling as we ned to sort out our Gas and Leccy supplies.. that could be fun.. not!

Pie and peas for tea apparently!

@polybear.. @tigerburnie is just so correct .. slice spuds, fry with bacon in a pan (or even belly pork) .. add in some boiled spring greens.. lovely!!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Oh  CARP and double CARP.  My Car Insurance is due for renewal in December, I'm also with the AA and already paying over £400!  Looks like I'll be comparing Meerkats.

From the Moneysavingexpert (Martin Lewis) website:

The cheapest time to get quotes is 23 days ahead of your renewal date – cover becomes more expensive the closer you get

Our analysis of over 70 million quotes from the four biggest comparison sites – Compare The Market, Confused.com, Gocompare and MoneySupermarket – showed a policy costs an average of £1,198 a year on renewal day. But 23 days earlier the average is just £694 a year, a MASSIVE £504 difference.

In general, the closer to your renewal date you get quotes, the more of a risk you're deemed to be (we've heard that it can show insurers you're a bit disorganised). But getting quotes too early, for example, 28+ days out, can also push the average price up – likely as fewer insurers will provide quotes that early

37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

We managed to get a sensible price for insuring our cars.. it was easy .. her indoors "talked" with them...

Certainly with the AA I very quickly found that the price was going to drop forty or fifty quid without much effort.  But then it all went pear-shaped....

37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@polybear.. @tigerburnie is just so correct .. slice spuds, fry with bacon in a pan (or even belly pork) .. add in some boiled spring greens.. lovely!!

Bear is a long-time fan of fried new spuds - sometimes I then bung omelette mix over them and when that's cooked make it a cheese or tomato omelette.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

According to various online sources it is impossible to insure my car (specially black, ones) in London but interestingly my premium was lower this year than last year. The AA transferred me from their own policy to LV this time.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

A purely hypothetical question......

Would a Mini Pizza (just for argument's sake let's assume Pepperoni) with new potatoes & mint sauce and peas be considered "weird"?

Just askin' for a friend you understand.....

Nothing wrong at all with that.  Just store the recipe alongside the Curried Risotto and Paella Chow Mein  

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Regarding motor insurance…

As you know I volunteer with the National Trust. I was having a break the other day and in the ‘break room, the NT had posted details of all their various insurance policies.  I’m guessing that this is required of them.  The motor insurance..

The insured … The National Trust

The vehicle… Any vehicle owned by or used by the insured*

Those covered… The National Trust, its employees, volunteers and associated groups and volunteer organisations. *

I wonder how much that cost !!!

… and whether or not they consulted the Meerkats.

* I can’t remember the exact wording and there was more, but that covers the gist of it. I’m sure that @Gwiwer will know the correct terminology.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I just visited the local market, there was a strange atmosphere, a palpable sense of fear and conversation had taken an eschatological turn. I wondered why, when I saw a sign that made the blood run cold as if the heart had been gripped by an icy claw........ it appears there may be a bike thief in Nanyang🤪 I have volunteered for the local vigilante group. (On a more serious note, the Police actually would take a report of a bike theft seriously, the way they treat shop lifting here would probably end up in court as a civil rights case if British authorities tried it.)

Reported today…

Bicycle thefts at railway stations alone rose to 6,956 in 2022

Police charged 238 people and recovered 103 of the nearly 7000 bikes stolen

Just saying.

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Ah...er.......

It's quite, er, possible, now that a large batch of new pots have been cooked and are now officially designated as "left overs" then, er, some "may" appear as toppings on the next (proper) pizza......

I can hear the coughing and spluttering from Switzerland from here! 

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Slice the tatties and fry them, delicious, especially if cooked in the pan with some bacon

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

... .. slice spuds, fry with bacon in a pan (or even belly pork) .. add in some boiled spring greens.. lovely!

Plus one for both of these choices. 

As a variation on these, you could grate (cooked) potato to form your own rosti. Some recipes suggest uncooked but this can make cooking more involved, firstly as you have to extract some excess water from the mixture (using a clean tea-towel is usually advised in recipes) and secondly as you need to cook for longer and pay attention to turning frequently. The easy option (IMHO) is to use cooked spuds and add finely chopped (cooked) bacon, onion, herbs and any meat juices to taste, bind it together with a beaten egg and cook - whether fried or baked, flat patties or balls. I like having these with white fish dishes and gammon roasts. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this afternoon, just cleared the drying racks ready for the next lot of washing which will be put on tonight. I received notification of the £500 winter fuel allowance a couple of weeks ago. It normally hits my account about the third week in November, just in time for the Brentwood toy fair on the 25th.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

As you know I volunteer with the National Trust. I was having a break the other day and in the ‘break room, the NT had posted details of all their various insurance policies.  I’m guessing that this is required of them.  The motor insurance..

Those covered… The National Trust, its employees, volunteers and associated groups and volunteer organisations. *

* I can’t remember the exact wording and there was more, but that covers the gist of it. I’m sure that @Gwiwer will know the correct terminology.

ISTR in the early(?) 90's a certain branch of The Great Empire oop north (aka Warton) had posters up saying that their insurance excess was £60K.....

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Agreed brought the driftwood, but has it not just stripped the sand?

It's probably a bit of both as the stones are just about as high as the sand usually is - and the sand is usually several feet deep in most places right up by the prom.

The beach is known to be very mobile.

So far not enough of the beach has been lost to expose the tree roots and clay soil from the forest which was there when the sea level was considerably lower than it is now.

David

Edited by DaveF
To add a paragraph
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Just watched Rhod Gilbert (the Comedian) and his documentary & treatment for The Big C (Channel 4)

Bluddy Hell, that was an eye opener.

I never realised (or forgot) that statistically 1 in 2 of us will get The Big C.  That's scary - and some.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, BoD said:

Because its the NT and all the things that such an organisation is required to do, I would be very surprised if it didn't work out to very reasonable per person if it was compared to your costs. 

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... In a galaxy briefly, too briefly ago and too darned close, there was an incompetent Prime Minister. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/30/covid-lots-coming-back-to-johnson-but-it-was-not-only-him/

It was the same PM who trashed Police and Fire Service pension schemes and tbe bill for compensation to those those affected will cost billions. 

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear is a long-time fan of fried new spuds - sometimes I then bung omelette mix over them and when that's cooked make it a cheese or tomato omelette.

They were known as Spanish Omelettes in our family, no idea if that's correct, but they made a great tea.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Thank you for all the good wishes, despite the day not going the way we’d planned, we’ve still enjoyed the day. We’ve mostly sat relaxing and read today. 

This evenings curry this was excellent as always, as was the service, we also enjoy chatting with the owner too. It’s only a 5 minute walk to the restaurant, but we needed an umbrella going, as the rain was still falling, thankfully it had stopped when we walked home. 

We spoke with Vickie again this evening, the news is that Ian is now back at home and all seems to have gone well with his hand operation. We’re not sure how long he’ll be off work, but for now he’s very sensibly taking it easy.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16