Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Remembrance silence is well observed here, most - almost all really - traffic stops, public service vehicles stop even folk walking through town stop.  There are guns or maroons fired to mark the beginning and end in almost all towns and villages, even up here in sticks-land.

Apart from the minutes silence at 11AM, Armistice Day is not a big thing here, ANZAC Day in April however is a major event, and if anything it seems to be getting more notable as the years progress.

Crowds at the 5AM* dawn service (you need to get there by 4.30AM)  held in towns and cities around the country are getting huge to the point that special early morning trains etc are now  laid on. 

(Ediit, found this years stats!)

Canberra Australian War Memorial 120,000

Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance 80,000

Sydney's Cenotaph 30,000

Brisbane's Anzac Square 30,000

Darwin's cenotaph 10,000

Hobart's cenotaph 5000

Torquay Danger Point 15,000

Coogee Beach 20,000

Alice Springs Anzac Hill 5500

Albany 4000

*5AM commemorates the time that the first ANZACS landed at Gallipoli. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

One northern NSW town, (it might be Taree but I'm not sure)  was wiped out

My maternal line is from Grafton - on the Clarence River in the Northern Rivers. If I recall correctly, Grafton had two devastating floods in early 2022.

The whole east coast from Gympie in Queensland to the Northern Rivers of NSW were impacted:

ABC: From Gympie to Grafton, see the floods devastation from the air

Anthropogenic climate change deniers can say whatever they want, but if you want to approach it from a "free market capitalism'' perspective, what is happening in the insurance industry is unprecedented. It's not the same level of 'normal' or 'routine' natural disasters.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

28 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the whole town would have to be moved to higher ground

That sort of thing has been happening along the Mississippi River for some time. Valmeyer, Illinois is one such town.

There are historical Mississippi River towns (like Kaskakia, Illinois) that are now on the "opposite" side of the river than when first settled - Kaskakia was settled by the French in 1714. It was the capital of French, Upper Louisiana.

There is a notion called "flood amnesia" for many riverside towns. People are more than happy to repeat mistakes. The argument to rebuild on higher ground is very logical.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

$##t!  B######s! £#####g thieving barstewards!!!   

Yep, it's happened.  I've just opened an email from the AA (same as PB @polybear did a few days ago) with my car insurance renewal quote.  They have more than doubled the premium!  I'm going away for a few minutes to swear some more until I get it out of my system.  A#s###les!

The AA do haggle when challenged, and without much effort.

Incidentally:

From the Go Compare Website:

Free excess cover

BUY CAR INSURANCE WITH US AND WE’LL REFUND YOUR EXCESS IF YOU MAKE A CLAIM[1]

[1]Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes breakdown and windscreen repair or replacement. Full T&Cs apply

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Well that was a disappointing meet-up. The Brains Trust was not.....

> Detained

> Arrested

> Questioned

> Interrogated

Caught

There - corrected it for you.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We had never had a war like the Great War and when it started the UK had had a century of relative peace. Also it was the first time that people at home were directly affected by the war in suffering air raids and shelling of coastal towns. Trafalgar day was celebrated up until the Great War by which time there would have been very few if any who were alive at the time of Trafalgar. Following the carnage of the Great War it is no surprise that previous wars would be forgotten, well not forgotten but no longer in the public awareness. The Great War has almost slipped from the public awareness and time is taking its toll on those who survived WW2. We should remember the sacrifices made by those who fought (and those who supported them) in both wars but one day even those who remember them will be gone. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

We had never had a war like the Great War and when it started the UK had had a century of relative peace.

Yes and no. The Great War was indeed a traumatic shock with the intense casualty rate*, but the notion of a "Pax Britannia" is nonsense - no differently than to say we've had 78 years of peace since the Second World War. 

* Easily predicted by the US Civil War, which took four years and cost perhaps a million lives (certainly well over 600,000 lives).

It was a century of colonial wars - like multiple Anglo-Afghan Wars, the Sudan, the Zulu War, the Opium Wars, and quite traumatically the Boer Wars which brought the Khaki Election to the Palace of Westminster in 1900. War and parliamentary politics were almost constantly entwined during the "Pax Britannica". The term doesn't even pass the sniff test in continental Europe with the Franco-Prussian wars.

It's fair to say there had not been a threat of foreign attack in the island of Britain between Trafalgar and the Great War.

Also it was the first time that people at home were directly affected by the war in suffering air raids and shelling of coastal towns.

While that is true, but I'm not sure it had the same impact as the casualty rate in the Western Front and Gallipoli. Besides things like rationing and travel restrictions, relatively few (numerically) were directly impacted (and I'm aware there was substantial bombing by Zeppelins and larger bombers like the Gotha GV of the Luftstreitkräfte).

Trafalgar day was celebrated up until the Great War by which time there would have been very few if any who were alive at the time of Trafalgar.

Agreed. Trafalgar Day was largely irrelevant after the Great War. France by then was an ally. A Jutland Day would not have had the same 'ring' to it and nor was that so convincing a victory.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

was a century of colonial wars - like multiple Anglo-Afghan Wars, the Sudan, the Zulu War, the Opium Wars

..and the Crimean War, And the Maori Wars, And the Indian Rebellion, And the undeclared war/genocide  of the Tasmanian aboriginals... In fact it's hard to find a 19th century period when someone somewhere in the world WASNT copping a flogging from Britannias army!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

..and the Crimean War, And the Maori Wars, And the Indian Rebellion, And the undeclared war/genocide  of the Tasmanian aboriginals...

Yeah, I just listed some from the top of my head. I wasn't trying to be exhaustive.

Tennyson's poem about a cavalry engagement in the hills above Balaclava and the impact of nursing in the form of Florence Nightingale is suggestive of just how shocking, people 'at home' found the Crimean War. Shortly afterwards, Clara Barton would have a similar impact as Nightingale, later founding the American Red Cross after her work in the Civil War.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have excluded the  cost of RAC breakdown cover which comes with the policy as an extra but which means I don’t need to separately join one of the breakdown services. 

So we now pay £285 to insure plus £99 for the breakdown cover. Not sure I could beat them down much on that. 

On the subject of Breakdown Cover.....

I realised just before going to Missenden Abbey that it was several weeks after the yearly anniversary of Mickey having been last serviced (October 2022) - so the free AA Breakdown that MG UK dishes out had now expired.  Turdycurses.  Now Mickey was booked in for service and MOT 3 days after my return, but there's some bloke who calls himself Murphy who has seen fit to write some law that says that if a Bear did happen to take that diddy risk of no Breakdown Cover for even a few days whilst driving around the M25 then he'd come along and pee on his Chips.  B'sterd.

So I decided to consult a certain Mr. Lewis (Moneysavingexpert) to find a cheapie B/D service:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/breakdown-cover/

- scroll down that page and it'll give you this link:

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/breakdown-cover/?Source=MSE

So I jumped thru' the hoops by selecting what I wanted:

• Cover for just for Mickey, not a Bear in any car (it's cheaper that way)
  • If Mickey can't be fixed then take Mickey & Bear where they want to go, rather than some shonky garage within 10 miles.
  • Home Start
  • Breakdown

And that gave numerous prices - including "RAC Essentials" for.....thirty one quid a year.  Any catches?  Just one - a forty quid excess to pay if you call them out.  Seems OK to me.

In fact as I've had it less than 14 days and not needed to call them out I could actually cancel it and get all my money back cos' Mickey has just been serviced so I'm covered with the AA again; however for thirty quid a year a reckon I'll just keep it anyway - it'll give me the option of using whichever service gives the fastest response time estimate if I do need to call on them.

Now if you go direct to the RAC Website they're currently "doing a deal" and throwing in 3 months extra for n'owt, which is good of them.  Oh, hang on - they want £181 a year for the same cover**

(**No excess charge, and a "Free" MOT added on - but only at selected RAC Garages).

No brainer.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yeah, I just listed some from the top of my head. I wasn't trying to be exhaustive.

Tennyson's poem about a cavalry engagement in the hills above Balaclava and the impact of nursing in the form of Florence Nightingale is suggestive of just how shocking, people 'at home' found the Crimean War. Shortly afterwards, Clara Barton would have a similar impact as Nightingale, later founding the American Red Cross after her work in the Civil War.

I be, I've that the impact of the Crimean war was felt in Britain because of front line reporting in the newspapers with up to date reports coming by telegraph.  The Times was the leader in this field.  In our village near Leeds the attendance at the Cenotaph was dwindling in the 90's but started to grow again during the Iraq and Afghan wars. The numbers attend g got up to at least 300 and we even started to get PCSO's stopping the traffic during the silence.  In our small French village we had 30 attend yesterday about of a population of 60.  However we asked the mayor why it was held at noon rather than 1100 and she had no idea about the significance of the 11th hour.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

44 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I be, I've that the impact of the Crimean war was felt in Britain because of front line reporting in the newspapers with up to date reports coming by telegraph.  The Times was the leader in this field.  In our village near Leeds the attendance at the Cenotaph was dwindling in the 90's but started to grow again during the Iraq and Afghan wars. The numbers attend g got up to at least 300 and we even started to get PCSO's stopping the traffic during the silence.  In our small French village we had 30 attend yesterday about of a population of 60.  However we asked the mayor why it was held at noon rather than 1100 and she had no idea about the significance of the 11th hour.

Jamie

A school in  Villers-Bretonneux has this sign on it, though it'd be interesting to find out if the pupils still know why its there.

image.png.c3590890992c34dc93c547ba792c0225.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

A fine morning with quite a lot of cloud, it didn't quite get down to 0 last night.  I have turned off the water to the outside tap ready for colder weather.

Today will be the usual visit to church, phone calls and e mails, something to eat - as yet undecided as there are several things which need eating in the next few days.

Then the rest of thew day will depend on ther weather and how I feel.  

I doubt I'll get to the war memorial today as it is my turn to be clearing up after church,

David

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7