RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

When we re-made our wills a few years ago, we were told that in the eyes of the law, if both spouses were to die in the same accident, it is assumed that the husband died first, followed by the wife, so the wife was the final beneficiary. I can’t be 100% sure now, as things may have changed. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It would be so tempting to place a few antenna that looked impressive and new but were just decoys. 

I know of at least one Empire that uses full-size models at the Farnborough Show etc.  that are, well, somewhat wonky when it comes to dimensions/scaling/profiles/positions etc.

All rather funny when certain overseas visitors are seen having their photos taken against such models from lots of different angles.....

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I am not sure if it gets serviced first or  has the MoT test first. The brake pad wear light has just come on but that is an MoT advisory I think. I want the pads changed anyway, I don’t like warning lights and  dashboard messages. 

Garages are actually on a winner cos' many of the MoT checks are also required for the Service - but do they reduce the Bill for the Service?  Do they 'eck as'like.

I'd suggest they do the MoT first - giving someone a £500 Bill for a service and then telling them it flunked the MoT and will cost £2K to get it thru' wouldn't go down well at all.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Re succession and simultaneous/nearly so deaths, https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm12192 and https://www.thorntons-law.co.uk/knowledge/simultaneous-deaths-who-inherits-in-the-case-of-a-common-calamity suggests that in England (and in the absence of any information otherwise) the assumption is that the elder died first. In Scotland, the assumption is neither survived the other. 

Re deaths in an accident, say a car crash, then should both be at the roadside, then I would presume that the above rule applies. Yet should the deaths be in hospital as a result of the accident, presumably official times of death would be recorded and the order would be on record. 

Cheerful thoughts for the evening... 

Edited by The White Rabbit
grammer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit belated as I first had to pump up the tyre on the car. Fortunately a few days ago I 'rediscovered' an electric tyre pump that had been on the missing list for ages (I knew it had to be somewhere). Quite simple to use, just plug it into the cigarette lighter and connect the tube to the valve and it was a surprise how little time it took. I was back a bit late with the shopping and to making space in the fridge for todays shop meant dinner was quiche and chips.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Teaching – this is week 12 of 12. Student came to me today with the question – where do I start? ...

Re-enrol for the course next year?

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It would be so tempting to place a few antenna that looked impressive and new but were just decoys. 

I'm not saying that I've known that to happen.........

But..........

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Well it seems that Mickey's tyre has started to behave....pressure ok this morning; a drive (5 miles?) this afternoon and the pressure still ok a couple of hours after that.  The trolley jack's staying in the boot for now; I've also dug out the decent leccy pump and that's now in the boot as well - it should be somewhat faster than the six quid B&M Bargains jobbie that usually lives in the boot for emergencies (it does the job but isn't what you'd call quick).

Apart from that it's been yet more planning; I have the available space and I have a wish list...it seems the two may not be quite seeing eye to eye at the moment.  Adjusting the available space upwards is "tricky"** so it looks like the wish list may have to be reviewed......  Turdycurses.

(** I quite fancy drilling a couple of 4" diameter holes thru' the party wall and using the extra space as a round-round loop and fiddle yard.  I've a feeling that NNNND may not be big on the idea though......).

ION....

This Video has been posted on Tony W's thread - look closely and you'll see our very own, much missed ChrisF:

Bear Gone.

He lives on. Just need a glimpse of the rainbow boots to finish the image.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

I am very slowly working out ways in which my things could be disposed of, when I have it complete a copy of it will go to the solicitor to be filed with the will, a couple of trusted neighbours will also get copies.  It will include details of people who might want to know about my death, details of my funeral plan which will be sorted shortly, I already have a grave plot. It will also contain basic details of which banks I use and suggestions of ways in which things can be disposed of - a very few specific items may be listed as it may not be obvious that they could be worth selling.  Apart from that it will be up to the solicitors who are my executors and the people to whom I have left my estate.

Downloading and printing a copy of the Age UK Lifebook (or they'll send you a hard copy for free) and completing it is a pretty good starter for ten:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/

- Bear did this a few years ago, though I need to do it again as some of the info will no doubt be out of date now.

I also need to update the Beary Will as it's a few years old now, as well as prepare an "Expression of Wishes" document for my Executors; it looks like I'll need to add a section for Deltics, Portescaps and 3.5" Gauge Live Steam Hornby Rockets as well......oh yes, and Cake.....

Incidentally, you can deposit a copy of a Will (but only  a Will - no notes etc. with it IIRC) with the Probate Registry in London for twenty quid; keeping one at home could lead to loss (accidental or otherwise......a scurrilous relation could stand to benefit "if there was no Will" and you died Intestate, for example) and whilst keeping one at a Solicitors might sound safe there have been cases of loss, such as in the case of a Solicitor no longer trading or being taken over.  It's happened

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

42 minutes ago, polybear said:

whilst keeping one at a Solicitors might sound safe there have been cases of loss, such as in the case of a Solicitor no longer trading or being taken over. 

Not just that, but they might be struck off for dipping their hand in a clients funds.  If you've not been paying attention, it might be time consuming to locate where your documents have been transferred to if you're around to do so, and an embuggerance if you're not...

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been struggling to rewind the cables and tubes on the tyre pump before I find somewhere to put it in the car. That won't be until I test fit the new rollator, probably Wednesday when it's predicted to be dry.

• Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

An update. 

The waters fell from the sky and rose from the land covering the tracks and severing all rail routes between London and the SW. 

Floods at Crewkerne, Sherborne, Athelney and Highbridge shut the job down totally. To cap it all the tracks later flooded at Taunton and most roads through Somerset were affected and / or closed. 

So no road alternatives either. 

Dr. SWMBO was, by chance, on one of only two trains to have got through from Cornwall all day.  

She didn’t make it to London. The train was terminated at Reading. The crowds there were, she says, ridiculous as of those trains which were running at all nearly all were so late that they had to be turned back with crews “out of hours” after lengthy delays. 

She used the SWR service to Richmond and an Uber from there to reach Kew as soon as possible. 

She called me at 5pm looking and sounding tired. Well you would after that sort of trip. Most people who travelled later in the day would have had an even worse time of it. By mid afternoon there was “no guarantee of reaching your destination” and the only services running were a few local shuttles on routes that were open. 

Tomorrow is another day. Let’s see what it brings. 

Oh good heavens what a terrible journey. One is assuming that she is tucked up safe and sound and won't have to repeat the journey until the waters have subsided. I also hope her employers are appreciative of the effort she's made to attend the meeting.

The torrential rain is now predicted overnight here but so far no sign just light drizzle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not just that, but they might be struck off for dipping their hand in a clients funds. 

One of Bear's worries if I have to resort to one of them being Executor; whilst I'm sure 😉 that 99% of Solicitors are squeaky clean 🤣, fine upstanding Pillars of Society there are some that might just take advantage of a sad, lonely Bear's Will (knowing there's buggerall close relatives around to watch proceedings).  But Mr. Bear, there are "Safeguards in place to prevent that sort of thing"  My Ar5e.....

Bear here......

Forgot to mention yesterday that Bear carried out a full technical investigation of the 3-hour time gain on Bear's ceiling projection clock and am pleased to report that, after many meetings (with the bikky tin) and review of technical publications (opening and reading my very first chrimbo card) I'm pleased to report to the Committee (that'll be fellow ER'ers) that the fault was analysed, identified and corrected......

The problem?  It was upside down.....🤣

No, not the clock - that was right-way up and telling the right time; it was the display on the ceiling was wrong.  Somehow the "flip" button had "flipped" and when I re-flipped it the time display rotated 180 degrees and all was well in Bearland.  I awarded myself a wedge of cake for that one.

Today?  Yep, yet more of the same...s'pose I'd better review that wish list.....😟

ION.....

Fraggle Rock is in the news today......

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-67565498

....as is a certain Olympic Athlete........

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67613292

Right, time to get wigglin'.....

BG

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Fraggle Rock is in the news today......

Boy oh boy would I like to reveal some things I know about that - but dare not.

Good morning out there, where it is both cold and wet, 5c and heaving it down.  Pah. Perhaps some mudelling may occur though, although I am rather tired after a poor night.  I might just sit, rather than sit and think.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  No storms an there is some clear sky.  More bits of wood got glued together yesterday.  The new shutters are coming on. I just need a collet of the right size for my router. More wood for shutter no 2 will be glued today.  Shopping this morning. 

Then a new comic ©Chrisf, has arrived and needs careful perusal. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19