The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think our bin collection changes this week are probably the most exciting thing happening locally. I am not complaining, it is quite nice living somewhere where little happens apart from the unpleasant incidents in the 9th and 17th centuries. 

Quite an interesting history has Benfleet. Most of it used to be a hunting ground for King John. Most of the boundary's Are identifiable in the present road layout. The Royal Forrest was delineated by Thundersly Park Road to the east, the High Road to the south and west and extended to the north of the present A13. 

https://www.benfleethistory.org.uk/content/browse-articles/people-2/royalty/benfleet-a-royal-forest-1163-1552

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You didn't download the Linux version or something?!

Overcast and storming here ATM but last week there were some good viewing nights. I fInally figured out the advantage of spot-metering when photographing the moon and it actually came out looking like the moon, not a blinding over-exposed searchlight.

P1230527.JPG.236cc4f25b5e8dd14e1638138fba4e6c.JPG

I was too lazy to get my tripod out so its a bit shaky. NEXT time I will, and I'll use burst mode and have a play with stacking.

Sorry Chimpy.   I forgot to say nice photograph in my earlier post.     Watchout, you'll get hooked ...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just finished watching the program on the coronation. What I found amusing was when they were rehearsing the queen's entry to the cathedral one of the page boys holding her train had a wonderful shiner, as I understand it the pages were the queens grandsons. I'm glad I wasn't the one charged with organising it.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ditto.  We spend ages searching on Gurgle Maps if there's somewhere we don't recognise!  We were watching an old one last night and a lighthouse had me stumped - Berwick as it turned out, a bit further away from their usual haunts.

We had lunch today at Trackshack John's, together with friend Jayne who they had also kindly invited as she's on her own now after losing Gary in a road accident.  A nice South African style curry (beef, not turkey!) was served as John's (new, he lost his first wife in covid) wife is Rhodesian or whatever it's called now.  It was Rhodesia when she lived there anyway.  Jayne doesn't know John well and was amused when he talked about selling his engine to buy a house - we had to show her a photo of Taw Valley, she got it then!

Dinner was turkey leftovers, fried up in spices etc, and that was nice too  - I like turkey, so there. 😁

Then a quiet night now hopefully, a 0% Guinness and nibbling cashew nuts watching Vera if all goes to plan.

Not turkey twizzlers I hope Neil?

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a rather wet part of Bradford where we are now installed at No 2 sons new abode.  A party was had last night but there are no sore heads.  I believe that I have some curtain rails to put up. 

Regards to all. 

Jamie

A father's work is never ending. Just make certain you 'charge' Christmas rates Jamie.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Will be visiting Tess Coes this morning, almost out of bread and milk plus some other things, and something for dinner, there's no leftovers from my Christmas dinner. I'd better get on with it, be back later.

• Like 17